JKUR wheel question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-19-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

JKUR wheel question

Hey guys, I just got a '09 JKU Rubicon. I used to have a '95 YJ, thus my screen name, but things have changed quite a bit since then. I've told my wife I won't lift it or get new tires until these wear out, but she's given me the approval to get new wheels. Basically, I'm just wanting to change the look a bit to stand apart from every other Rubi out there. Before most all were 15x8 rims, but now there's 17", 18", and most are metric sizes. I'm still trying to decipher everything. Here's my question.

I'm looking for a wheel that can be used on stock size tires and also be used for 33" or 35" tires down the road without spacers. I would like a little wider stance, but nothing extreme. For now, it's my DD with little to no off-road. I know, I used to hate people coming on wanting to build up a Jeep to be a mall rat, but due to health reasons, my wife can't take the jarring around anymore. Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-19-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

By the way, I'm just looking for sizes, etc and not brands or if it's even possible.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Granite Guru

stock rubicon and most other trim models come with 17" wheels. the sport steel wheels are 16". i believe all stock wheels have 6.25" backspacing.

if you want to run 33's or 35's, a good starting point is 4.5" backspacing. you can get by with a little more backspacing, but i wouldn't recommend backspacing higher than 4.75".

i would stick with 17" wheels for a 33, 35 or 37" tire, unless you like the "gangsta" look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

What's a good width wheel that will work with factory sized tires as well 33's or 35's? What's a good backspacing in mm's? The 255/75/17 Duratracs state rim width as 6.5-8.5" on Tirerack. Would I have any problems with the factory tires on a 8" rim? Is that a good size to get for 35's? I seeing a lot of 17" wheels coming in 9" widths which would be too wide for factory tires. I'm starting to think I should probably wait and do it all together.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-20-2016, 02:51 AM
Rock God

Just wait and do tires/wheels all at once and buy a set that will work well together. May also end up being cheaper than doing it piecemeal. Just my $0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
I have belonged to a lot of forums but I have never seen this level of perversion from a bunch of grown men.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok, after further research, it looks like I might need to go with the Teraflex leveling kit. That will allow me to get a tad bit bigger stance while keeping the stock ride and fit 33's. So, I guess my last question is should I go with the 17x8 or 17x8.5"? The 8.5" wheel is the max on the current 255/75 tires. Will that cause any issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode