How low can you go? Stock wheels and 35" MTR's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 02-07-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

How low can you go? Stock wheels and 35" MTR's

Running 35" MTR's on stock rubicon wheels. I'm currently at 25psi and have close to 1/2" of the outer & inner most lugs that do not appear to be wearing yet. How complete of a contact patch should I be going for? Anyone else with stock wheels and 35's..... What are you running on the street?

Last edited by rebltrubi; 02-07-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebltrubi View Post
Running 35" MTR's on stock rubicon wheels. I'm currently at 25psi and have close to 1/2" of the outer & inner most lugs that do not appear to be wearing yet. How complete of a contact patch should I be going for? Anyone else with stock wheels and 35's..... What are you running on the street?
I ran 26 psi in MTR/Ks on stock Rubicon wheels on my 2 door with hard top and semi-heavy bumpers, full-size spare, and a decent amount of crap in the back. I got dead-flat tread wear over 30k miles (with regular 5-tire rotations) before I switched 'em out for something else.

It depends a lot on weight (2 door, 4 door, soft/hard top, armor, crap you haul around, etc.).
Until or unless you do a chalk test, it's probably better to err on the high side (26-28 psi) so you don't overheat your sidewalls and wreck a tire.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 17 Old 02-07-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks. It's a fairly stock, 4 door, hardtop that's recently been lifted (3.5" Metalcloak) and running the above mentioned 35's. Winch and front bumper should go on this week, have a matching spare on the back. We'll see how I'm actually using it before I start with fenders and armor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-08-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Mud Test

This is after running through a mud hole and driving a couple miles.

post #5 of 17 Old 02-09-2016, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru

How are you liking the set up with the MC kit and 35s on the stock wheels? Are you running wheel spacers? I'm thinking of doing something similar set up?

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So far so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUR33 View Post
How are you liking the set up with the MC kit and 35s on the stock wheels? Are you running wheel spacers? I'm thinking of doing something similar set up?
Running 25psi on stock wheels with 1.5" spacers. Have a couple hundred miles on it now and I'm enjoying it. I "think" the ride is better than stock. Admittedly, I didn't have more than a 100 miles of seat time on the stock suspension to calibrate my butt. After the install it did scare me to drive it over 50mph until I replaced the steering dampener. There was no way I was able to "two finger" the wheel going 80 down the interstate. Anything over 50 required my full and undivided attention with hands at 10 & 2. Apparently I messed up the dampener with the floor jack while installing the lift. The oil drip and puddle under it's location should've been a shinning beacon of a screw up. I didn't realize how MUCH it effects control and handling. The guys at Metalcloak helped me through adjusting the tire pressure and the dampener diagnosis (first jeep, very much a rookie). I did replace it with a mopar replacement. I hope I have the need to relocate it.

Seems like a well put together kit, I enjoyed installing it, learned a lot, and became more familiar with my ride. The wife enjoys driving it and my 10 year old son has already claimed it for himself.

Haven't had a chance to wheel it yet, I have no reason to think it won't perform well.

2014 JKUR, manual, Metalcloak 3.5" lift, 35" MTR's on stock wheels, SPod, Baja Designs, VKS Pre-Runner rock sliders
post #7 of 17 Old 02-19-2016, 05:14 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Which MTRs did you go with? LT315 /70 R17 or 35 /12.50R17. I have been thinking something similar but they both exceed the manufacturer recommended wheel width for a stock rubi (unless the 2014s are different than the 2013s). I was concerned about issues with the width when aired down or finding someone to mount them.

2013 Commando Green JKU Rubicon
post #8 of 17 Old 02-20-2016, 03:02 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyates007 View Post
Which MTRs did you go with? LT315 /70 R17 or 35 /12.50R17. I have been thinking something similar but they both exceed the manufacturer recommended wheel width for a stock rubi (unless the 2014s are different than the 2013s). I was concerned about issues with the width when aired down or finding someone to mount them.
With regard to the width, you can "cheat" this by using a wheel spacer.

Caveat: research the ever loving fuck out of them before purchase and use the permanent loktite on every single lug or you will risk catastrophic rapid disassembly of your tire/wheel/Jeep/driver/passengers.

Or just buy rims with the proper backspacing for the tires you want.

Same/same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
I have belonged to a lot of forums but I have never seen this level of perversion from a bunch of grown men.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-20-2016, 05:11 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOOL AID MAN View Post
With regard to the width, you can "cheat" this by using a wheel spacer.

Or just buy rims with the proper backspacing for the tires you want.

Same/same.
I understand backspacing and the need for spacers on the stock wheels. I was under the impression that the stock wheel was not wide enough based on the manufacturer recommendations to properly seat the wider tires.

post #10 of 17 Old 02-20-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
I understand backspacing and the need for spacers on the stock wheels. I was under the impression that the stock wheel was not wide enough based on the manufacturer recommendations to properly seat the wider tires.
So far I've had zero issues. I'm curious to see how they behave when they're aired down for the trail? Very pleased with the ride. Drove it on the interstate 150 miles round trip yesterday, 65-70 mph at 25psi. Handles great, first jeep, first lifted vehicle, I usually DD an 07 rwd Tundra.

Quote:
35/12.5/17 is what I went with. Local shop with multiple locations did the post-lift alignment and tire install. Not an issue for them. I DID install the wheel spacers before I took it to them. I imagine it's time for me to remove the wheels and check the spacer hardware, I don't foresee any issues.

2014 JKUR, manual, Metalcloak 3.5" lift, 35" MTR's on stock wheels, SPod, Baja Designs, VKS Pre-Runner rock sliders
post #11 of 17 Old 02-20-2016, 10:37 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
So far I've had zero issues. I'm curious to see how they behave when they're aired down for the trail? Very pleased with the ride. Drove it on the interstate 150 miles round trip yesterday, 65-70 mph at 25psi. Handles great, first jeep, first lifted vehicle, I usually DD an 07 rwd Tundra.

35/12.5/17 is what I went with. Local shop with multiple locations did the post-lift alignment and tire install. Not an issue for them. I DID install the wheel spacers before I took it to them. I imagine it's time for me to remove the wheels and check the spacer hardware, I don't foresee any issues.
Great to know, this is the exact same route was thinking, debating on 33s vs 35s, I would rather have the 35s. I had 35x12.5 MTRs on my TJ before moving to the JKU and I really liked the on and off road.

post #12 of 17 Old 02-25-2016, 05:20 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Drop a little water on the pavement, drive through it and check the contact patch when it leaves a wet print. Air down 1psi each time till its the way you want it. This is how the big tire names test their tires, well, back in the day anyway.

You should be fine with 23psi or even 21. If you are concerned about safety, drive for a few miles at highway speeds and check sidewall and tread temps.

2012 JKU 6-speed 1.5" on 37" Mud Grapplers
2003 TJ Rubi 5-speed on 35s
post #13 of 17 Old 07-06-2018, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

12,000 mile update

So, after 12k miles Iím starting to see signs of uneven wear. Iíll admit that I havenít been as regimented as I shouldíve with rotation.... I may have gone past 3k miles once or twice. I believe the outside of the tire is wearing faster than the inside. From what Iíve read this could be attributed to being mounted on too narrow of a wheel. I have a shake or shimmy between 50 and 65 mph that smooths out above 70. Thoughts? Change the wheels to an 8.5Ē width and maybe the tires will even out?

(Iíve been working to get rid of death wobble for the last 8 months and havenít been driving the Jeep much. Iíve replaced everything but the unit bearings and steering box on the front end. Synergy ball joints, frame and axle side track bar brackets. Metalcloak tie rod and flipped draglink. Itís been aligned by a reputable shop and had the tires balanced. Iím happy with the ride with the exception of the shake I described above.)

post #14 of 17 Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 AM

I actually bought a sixth wheel and tire and rotate my tires every 3k with oil changes.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-23-2018, 07:25 PM

If the shimmy you describe us what youíre referring to as death wobble then youíre lucky. That is not death wobble. A true case of death wobble will feel like each of the front tires is bouncing off the ground and only stops when you slow the Jeep to below 20 - or close to it.

What you describe sounds more like a tire imbalance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 17 Old 07-25-2018, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Great point, I wasnít as clear as I couldíve been.... l THINK, Iíve managed to finally get rid of (for now) death wobble. Iím fairly confident the shake or shimmy Iím feeling is tire related. I spent a good bit of time and a few $$ working to get the Jeep sorted to take it on vacation. Ran out of time to have the tires rebalanced and/or maybe swap inside to outside and left it in the garage. (First shop didnít want to swap them, apparently MTRís have a ďthis side outĒ indicator)

What weíre experiencing now is nothing like the occilating, shake the vehicle apart until I coast to an almost stop madness we were experiencing.

post #17 of 17 Old 08-05-2018, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So after two alignments and two rounds of balancing (both from different shops) the shake or shimmy is still there from 50 through 60 mph. A little better than it was after the first rebalance, certainly not death wobble. From what Iíve read and after a discussion with the last shop that balanced them, I may be as good as Iím ever going to be with the MTRís.

(I am of the opinion that out of balance tires and wheels could contribute to death wobble, and was a contributing factor to what Iíve been chasing for almost a year. I believe I have it sorted, for now..... new tires are at the top of the Jeep ďwish listĒ, maybe a set of Trail or Ridge Grapplers or KM3ís or KO2ís or..... let the overthinking begin. Iím also going to grab a set of 8.5Ē-9Ē wide wheels while Iím at it. Leaning towards the Method 701ís)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode