Thoughts on Cooper STT vs STT Pros - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 02-02-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thoughts on Cooper STT vs STT Pros

I've been looking around for some new tires and decided on the Cooper Discoverer STT Pros.
While calling around today I found a shop that had the Pros for $298/piece (295/70) but also had the STT for $200/piece.
Thoughts?

I originally liked the STT a little more but the Pros have really grown on me the more I've read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 02-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've owned both and the STT Pro is a huge improvement over the original STT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 40 Old 02-02-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Boosted, I'm thinking the same thing.
I wouldn't have thought about the STT but for 1/3 less is kinda hard not to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 02-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_wall98 View Post
Thanks Boosted, I'm thinking the same thing.
I wouldn't have thought about the STT but for 1/3 less is kinda hard not to.
The STT is not a bad tire, but it is discontinued and the STT Pro is so much better.

post #5 of 40 Old 02-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Granite Guru

I love my STT tires. There not loud they ride good on the hwy no uneven wear. Off road there even better no chunking and great traction (in rocks) I don't do mud and I haven't been in snow yet. Im running the 37-13.5/17s they work for me. If I were to change it would be sticky red labels for off road. I'm bummed ifthe previous post is correct about them being discontinued

2010 jk 2dr 3.5 in lift synergy c/arms synergy high steer RPM fab tierod Dynatrac pro rock front 5:13s cooper stt 37s eaton e locker adv adapters rubicrawler adams driveshafts bilsteins. Bestop trektop pro poisen spyder tire carrier VKS stubby rear bumper VKS fab stubby front. Pure jeep sliders yaesu ftm400. Shit I forgot the rest... KK6WIT
post #6 of 40 Old 02-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark915 View Post
I love my STT tires. There not loud they ride good on the hwy no uneven wear. Off road there even better no chunking and great traction (in rocks) I don't do mud and I haven't been in snow yet. Im running the 37-13.5/17s they work for me. If I were to change it would be sticky red labels for off road. I'm bummed if the previous post is correct about them being discontinued
Why bummed? The STT Pro's are better.

post #7 of 40 Old 02-03-2016, 12:36 PM
JKowners Vendor

We have a couple of people that are running the Cooper Discoverer STT PRO at our office that have been very impressed with them.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 40 Old 02-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
We have a couple of people that are running the Cooper Discoverer STT PRO at our office that have been very impressed with them.
Hey DT, since Cooper has discontinued the STT what happens when I have to cert one of mine out for a tear in the sidewall? Do you upgrade me to the STT Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 40 Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Hey DT, since Cooper has discontinued the STT what happens when I have to cert one of mine out for a tear in the sidewall? Do you upgrade me to the STT Pro?
Great question.

In the event the registered tire (or tires) is discontinued or not available, a tire of similar value will be substituted. You can, however, pay the difference for which ever tire model you would like if it's substantial.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #10 of 40 Old 02-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Great question.

In the event the registered tire (or tires) is discontinued or not available, a tire of similar value will be substituted. You can, however, pay the difference for which ever tire model you would like if it's substantial.
Good to know, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #11 of 40 Old 02-04-2016, 10:54 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Good to know, thanks.
Happy to help. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #12 of 40 Old 02-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Wheeler

I was checking into the the pro and my shops warehouse was letting the stt go for 180$ for 37 13.50 17 might check into it if debating new tires shortly
post #13 of 40 Old 02-13-2016, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by realunlucky View Post
I was checking into the the pro and my shops warehouse was letting the stt go for 180$ for 37 13.50 17 might check into it if debating new tires shortly
That's why I started the thread realunlucky, hard to pass up $100+ savings per tire
post #14 of 40 Old 02-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've been running the STT Pro's since October and i love them. They completely blew away the duratracs i was running before. The grip the rocks better, eject mud better, and look awesome. The winter performance was also much better than i expected. I feared the worst going from a great winter tire like the duratracs to the STT Pros, but am pleased to report that they are great. Maybe not as good on the hard pack or ice, but much better than even the stock rubi tires were. Definitely a great tire.

Oh and Discount tire was awesome as always and had my tires in almost a week earlier than expected so i could attend an off road event. When it comes time to order up, definitely give Discount Tire a call.
post #15 of 40 Old 02-17-2016, 07:34 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recharge View Post
I've been running the STT Pro's since October and i love them. They completely blew away the duratracs i was running before. The grip the rocks better, eject mud better, and look awesome. The winter performance was also much better than i expected. I feared the worst going from a great winter tire like the duratracs to the STT Pros, but am pleased to report that they are great. Maybe not as good on the hard pack or ice, but much better than even the stock rubi tires were. Definitely a great tire.

Oh and Discount tire was awesome as always and had my tires in almost a week earlier than expected so i could attend an off road event. When it comes time to order up, definitely give Discount Tire a call.
Thanks for your kind words. Glad we were able to meet your expectations.

Also thanks for posting your experience with the Cooper STT Pro Tires.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #16 of 40 Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I too am looking for 4 new tires in the 37x12.5R17 range and really like the PROs. Thinking the D range ones (37x12.50) over the E range ones (37x13.50)... running on ProComp 9x17s...

Just a Jeep!
2010 JKU Rubicon Deep Water Blue Pearl TF CT4 Long Arm kit, HD adj track bars, high steer/flip kit, knuckles & ball joints AntiRock sway bars front/rear 5.38 gears, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed Ten Factory Chromo axle shafts RH HD crossmember SB oil pan/trans/T-case skidplates KMC 17 x 9 Machete XD229 beadlocks 37" Toyo RTs SuperChip FP B&M Trans cooler SB flat metal fenders N-Fab steps/bars Ace aluminum inner fender VKS front/rear bumpers 11.5K Superwinch
post #17 of 40 Old 02-29-2016, 11:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
Why bummed? The STT Pro's are better.
I think we have to qualify that statement. The Pro may be a better dedicated mud tire but I believe the STT was a better all-terrain that was slated toward the more aggressive.

As for me an aggressive AT tire was exactly what I need since much of the year I have to deal with snow and ice. I refuse to put a mild AT on my jeep and driving mud tires on ice or wet is out right dangerous.

The STT was a tire that filled this gap in the market. The Pro is just another mud tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #18 of 40 Old 03-02-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Toymaster,
I kinda agree with you about the STT looking like a better tire for a daily driver. I thought the same thing when comparing the tread design. That being said, I just got a set of STT PRO 315s yesterday for my daily driver
post #19 of 40 Old 03-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Wheeler

will comment when I get these mounted, 37/12.50/17
post #20 of 40 Old 03-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 sloe 97 View Post
please hurry! lol. I am about to buy tires and these are one of my top two now.

also what do they weigh in at and actual size?

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #21 of 40 Old 03-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Granite Guru

Following. I'm in the same boat.
post #22 of 40 Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 sloe 97 View Post
Where did you get them and about how much were these bad boys???

I need these in this size VERY soon!!!

Just a Jeep!
2010 JKU Rubicon Deep Water Blue Pearl TF CT4 Long Arm kit, HD adj track bars, high steer/flip kit, knuckles & ball joints AntiRock sway bars front/rear 5.38 gears, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed Ten Factory Chromo axle shafts RH HD crossmember SB oil pan/trans/T-case skidplates KMC 17 x 9 Machete XD229 beadlocks 37" Toyo RTs SuperChip FP B&M Trans cooler SB flat metal fenders N-Fab steps/bars Ace aluminum inner fender VKS front/rear bumpers 11.5K Superwinch
post #23 of 40 Old 03-22-2016, 05:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Grey View Post
Where did you get them and about how much were these bad boys???

I need these in this size VERY soon!!!
$327 each from Discount Tire Direct

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #24 of 40 Old 03-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod17 View Post
$327 each from Discount Tire Direct
Thanks...I'll give them a look.

Just a Jeep!
post #25 of 40 Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Great question.

Got a nail in the sidewall of one of my STT's last week. Took it DT since I had certs. They tried Cooper and some wholesellers for a replacement with no luck. They gave me full credit for the non-replaceable tire and around $170 each for the other 4.

Ended up using that credit on 37" KO2's and had them put on today. I was really considering the STT Pros because I liked the STT's so much. Not enough wheelin' lately or in the near future so and a milder tread pattern was
the result.

Must say, DT was great during the whole process and called daily with updates on their search results. I've never bought tires anywhere else and DT has given me no reason to look elsewhere.

2012 JKUR
[Teraflex Full Arm 3"][Britax Baby Seat][Cooper Discoverer STT 35"][Yukon 4:56][Ace Pro Series Bumpers][Artec front truss, Synergy gussets][Smittybilt X20 winch w/synthetic line][Tom Woods front and rear 1350 driveshafts][Crawler Concepts liners][Poison Spyder Fenders][Trucklights][Cobra 75WXT][TrekArmor Covers][Hothead Headliner]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode