Your Treadwright Experience (Good or Bad) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-09-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Your Treadwright Experience (Good or Bad)

There are posts about Treadwright tires out there, but nothing that I found measuring their longevity on a JK. For those of you who don't know who Treadwright is, here's a link to their info page: http://treadwright.com/pages/green-zone.

I'm sure there are plenty of JK owners who have Treadwrights on their rigs, and a few are probably JKO members. Tell us about your experience here so that others have a one-stop post to review.

Having purchased my 2nd set of Treadwright tires, the first set installed on my WJ and only driven 10k miles before I sold it, I'm optimistic about their performance. Here are some pics of the set of their "Guard Dogs," size 315/70R17 (34.7" equivalent) that I just installed last week:

Compared to unused stock BFG T/A KM 255/75R17:

Penny test (Abe's head up):

Side view (see signature for lift/other stats):

At first blush, I noticed the same minor issue with these tires right out of the gate: there's a humm at speeds of 25+ mph. I've driven in JKs with louder tires like the Toyo Open Country or Nitto Tera Grappler, but be advised that they're louder than the stock BFGs. If that's a huge problem for you, sell your JK and buy a Mercedes and a box of Tampons because Jeeping isn't for you any way!

As recommended, the tire shop that installed my set static balanced them. They were quite reluctant to do so for some reason, but I explained that I would not accept any other install method, so they did it.

Before leaving the dealership, I adjusted the PSI to 29 due to the C vs. D sidewall difference. For those of you looking for the proper D load range PSI, what I found suggests 28-30 is best.

The tires expectedly track groves in the pavement noticeably more than the stock BFGs. I say expectedly because it's a much wider tire. And it's not a factor of the lift, either - I drove for a week with the lift but without the tires and it handled fine.

When I ran a set of 32" Guard Dogs on my WJ, I was amazed at their handling in the snow and ice. Being from New England, that's very important to me. I did not opt for the Kedge Grip, mostly because I want to get as much life out of the tires that I can and their site says to expect about 10% less tread life with Kedge Grip.

One thing that I did opt for, however, is the "bead-2-bead" option. Instead of getting a new tread with an old sidewall, which might also be different brand sidewalls at that, the b2b is Treadwright's brand new sidewall. Worth the $, IMHO.

I will try and remember to update this post at least every year to log the tread life. Hell, for the price I'll be happy if they last 40,000 miles! I am good about rotating tires, but I'll try to post specifics about rotation. I will be putting some decent trail miles on these tires, too, so subscribe to see what happens!

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.

Last edited by Cochepaille; 01-09-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Wheeler

I ran a set of the a/t on a cherokee I had. The worst tires I'd ever ran as far as tire noise. This is in an enclosed XJ, full exhaust and a stroker with a cam and the tires were by far the loudest issue by far. I stepped to these from some m/t's and the treadwrights were at least 2x as loud. That is a problem when I can't hear the person next to me. Not worth the money savings at all, I didn't even have them on long enough to try them out in winter weather. good luck dude.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-24-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddad View Post
I ran a set of the a/t on a cherokee I had. The worst tires I'd ever ran as far as tire noise. This is in an enclosed XJ, full exhaust and a stroker with a cam and the tires were by far the loudest issue by far. I stepped to these from some m/t's and the treadwrights were at least 2x as loud. That is a problem when I can't hear the person next to me. Not worth the money savings at all, I didn't even have them on long enough to try them out in winter weather. good luck dude.
Wow, that's nuts! I wouldn't say mine were 2x louder... maybe 10-20% louder, at most. Could it have been a balance issue?

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-27-2016, 03:01 AM
Granite Guru

When it comes to balancing the TW, I was told before that the shop should use the static setting on the machine.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Wheeler

I had the guard dogs in 315/75r16 and put a little over 25,000 miles on them before I sold them and moved up to 37's. They still had probably 30-35% tread left on them. They balanced out with very little weight and never had to balance them again. Hell I got $200 for them when I sold them.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-27-2016, 01:46 PM
pvanfab.com

I have had a set on a wj and have had a set on my jkur, 315/70 guard dogs with kedgegrip. 25k miles, no issues. Only complaints are little sidewall tread and I wish they made 37's, but their 315's are bigger than most 35's. I was at 34.5" mounted on stock width rims, now at 34" with 9" wide slabs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-06-2016, 10:09 AM

I had their AT's on my silverado 30K miles or so and maybe half life. they were pretty much silent their whole life. ill be buying Tread wrights for my Jeep honestly debating the MT's or AT's i know i like the AT's you should post a video of highway speed noise with the Gard Dogs
post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

After about 22k miles (spare rotated in), my Guard Dogs have about 70% tread left and they are wearing very evenly. I did notice that 29 psi was causing a bit more wear in the center lugs than the sides, so I have since adjusted down to 26 psi and the wear has become very even.

On the trails, I have been very satisfied! I typically air down to about 12 psi - there's just enough flex to get some good grip around rocks and stumps, but not so much that I worry about tread separation (especially with the "bead-to-bead" option). Mud traction leaves a little to be desired, but that's to be expected with an MT tire. It takes a little more skinny pedal to get them to self clean, but they do clean out well enough to keep paddling. These things shine on dry rock, though... they love ledges!

Wet pavement traction isn't great, especially at 28+ psi. Fortunately I drive like an old fart now, so it's not an big problem!

Snow traction is unbelievable, though! I love seeing 6"+ snow in the forecast b/c it gives me an excuse to go show people one of the reasons why I have a Jeep!

Road noise has died down a bit. Still louder than the stock BFGs, but not as bad as more aggressive mud terrains.

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode