what min lift with flat fenders req to fit 40" tire - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-01-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

what min lift with flat fenders req to fit 40" tire

what is the minimum lift required to fit 40" tire if installing flat fenders?

would a 4" or a 3.5" lift work, and should it be long or short arm?

thank you for your feedback in advance.

the build is intended to be a dual purpose JKU Rubicon (trying to strike a fine balance between a daily driver (don't mind the fuel issue nor leaning more to a off-road rig) and a moderate off-road but with occasional aggressive trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Granite Guru

I am running 3.5" of lift, and it needs a lot of bump stop to not rub. I think 4.5 might be more appropriate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- offroad inspired decals for your jeep
--
2008 Unlimited Rubicon - Silver (Locked and Loaded)
2014 Unlimited Sport - Billet Silver (Mall Crawler)
post #3 of 6 Old 01-01-2016, 09:02 PM
Granite Guru

I would say 4-4.5 also! I wheel 39.5 IROKS on a 3.5 MC lift with TF spacers and a 1" body lift w/ MC lower arms and RK 3 link rear. I was only running 3" bumpstops, so I had good up and down travel, I have since switched to TF speedbumps and a TNT long arm front w/ the RK 3 link. It is an amazing setup!!

I really liked the MC arms because they give u the long arm flex and comfort w/o the long arm price although it's close lol but no welding for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-02-2016, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Lift generally is not there issue with running 40's and depends on how much cutting you want to do. The less cutting the more lift and bump stop you are going to need. IF you don't want to cut up the body and notch the frame and maintain full steering you are looking at around 6" of lift on a 4.5" bs wheel.

The real issue about running 40's is the axles not being wide enough (or strong enough) to run the tall wide tire. Most that try to run on factory axles will swap out to tons. You will also be looking into hydraulic assist on the steering or your steering box will not last that long and it is almost impossible to turn aired down 40's on a rocky trail.

40's are a terrible size for a daily driver, not only the $600 price tag per tire that last 15-20,000 miles but just every day driving around with a lack of power. Parking in todays tight parking spots is a hassle since you can't see low cars and the fact you are going to be quite a bit wider then stock (I am at 86" wide due to the massive travel shocks I run). Your turn radius will suffer as well.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #5 of 6 Old 01-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Rock God

It sounds like you are getting in way over your head with 40's. A rubicon is not a set up with any amount of lift to run 40's. You need one ton axles, hydro assist steering, new gearing, driveshafts, and many other things besides a lift kit. And the question you should be asking is how much bump stop and trimming do you need to run 40's. That gets you the clearance not "x" inches of lift from a lift kit.

Last edited by Biginboca; 01-02-2016 at 05:00 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

ditto on what the other guys said above. i daily drive 40's and get off road as much as possible. I currently running my 40's with 4.5" coils and nemesis fenders. i have run 37's with 2.5" of lift and 40's with 3.5" of lift. while it was great being low i found the most aggravating thing was the break over angle. 4.5" seems to keep me from getting hung up while providing pretty good overall balance when things start to get off camber.

just to reiterate on hydro assist, it is a must have and be prepared to dump some money into it. you don't want a system that is sub par or it will make your driving experience terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode