Trepador non-sticky bias ply? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-27-2015, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Trepador non-sticky bias ply?

Are there any opinions on the non-stickies out there...?

I found a pretty good deal on them and decided to pull the trigger (it went from REALLY expensive to just expensive), hoping they will be OK on the street.

In the past I thought a bias ply would be a bad idea on a death wobble prone JK, but I had bias ply Baja Claws on a TJ and they took very little weight to balance and were great tires. Unfortunately I had a long commute shortly after and they didn't last long...

I will post up pics when they get here. Just ordered wheels too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Wheeler

Garage
Treps

I love my Treps, I've been commuting to Seattle with them and they have worked out great! I live in Ellensburg and we currently have around 12" of snow, I've been up in the hills and am very pleased with their performance.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-28-2015, 09:45 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I have the non-stickies on my two door in a 40/1350. When I pull out of the garage it takes until about the end of the street (4 houses) to get the flat spots out. Then they are impressively smooth. I have had it up to 70 or so now and it isn't bad at all and I don't have the hydro on it yet, so no stabilizer and they aren't balanced at all on Trail Ready bead locks.

I say go for it. They won't last as long as a normal mud tire, but they should give you 20 - 25K miles I'd thing for sure. I'd actually be interested to see how many miles you could get out of them on a DD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-28-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eburgpirate View Post
I love my Treps, I've been commuting to Seattle with them and they have worked out great! I live in Ellensburg and we currently have around 12" of snow, I've been up in the hills and am very pleased with their performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I have the non-stickies on my two door in a 40/1350. When I pull out of the garage it takes until about the end of the street (4 houses) to get the flat spots out. Then they are impressively smooth. I have had it up to 70 or so now and it isn't bad at all and I don't have the hydro on it yet, so no stabilizer and they aren't balanced at all on Trail Ready bead locks.

I say go for it. They won't last as long as a normal mud tire, but they should give you 20 - 25K miles I'd thing for sure. I'd actually be interested to see how many miles you could get out of them on a DD.
That is encouraging!

I just threw some used 37" bfg muds on it and the death wobble has surfaced. Although I had them balanced they are used so not blaming BFG.
I just ordered some balljoints from you. About to hit 60,000 miles and it has been lifted since it was new so it probably is time.
The Jeep came with an AEV lift. As I track down the problem if I need more suspension/steering parts I will hit you up via PM as to what I can mix and match with what I have.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-28-2015, 11:59 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Right on! Thanks for the order!

Let me know what I can do to help on the rest. Try moving the tires around too before you throw a bunch of money at it.

post #6 of 16 Old 12-28-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Right on! Thanks for the order!

Let me know what I can do to help on the rest. Try moving the tires around too before you throw a bunch of money at it.
I moved one rear to front. Helped a little...

I will start with retorquing, then check the track bar bushings/mounting holes first.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Drove it with the Treps mounted today...

Who knew "E" rated bias plies would cure my death wobble?
Before the 37" BFGS I had 35" Fierce Attitudes(they were on the Jeep when I bought it) and these big, heavy industrial weapon looking tires actually ride better than either of them did.
I have them at 26psi and so far so good!

This was actually one of the most half assed things I' ve done in a while...
The other 3 will be here Monday...
My garage is a disaster. With this dang flu it's hard enough to find the energy to make messes not to mention clean them up.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-04-2016, 05:26 AM
Wheeler

Very nice! Im intersted in how these work out for ya. Keep us posted!
post #9 of 16 Old 01-30-2016, 06:16 AM
Granite Guru

Keep us posted as I'm considering these when my Toyos are done. Am curious about the on road handling. I ran bias Iroks on a DD and that was scary at times. Sudden unexpected lane changes, couldn't keep them balanced, wore quickly. Phenomenal off road, but horrible on.

DD
11 JK Unlimited
4.88s, Detroit Locker/Tru Trac
37x12.50-17 Toyo Open Country RT
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
Built AMC 360,T-18/Dana 300,
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
post #10 of 16 Old 01-30-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
Keep us posted as I'm considering these when my Toyos are done. Am curious about the on road handling. I ran bias Iroks on a DD and that was scary at times. Sudden unexpected lane changes, couldn't keep them balanced, wore quickly. Phenomenal off road, but horrible on.
So far so good!
It has been in the 30's/40's here when I leave in the morning and the flat spots take 2 or 3 miles of surface streets to go away. Not sure if it is quicker in warmer temps because when I leave work in the evening it is stop and go through an old town and it isn't as noticeable.

They feel pretty good considering they are bias plies. They have a distinct vibe at about 45 which is when the Jeeps I've owned tend to. Hard to blame the tire...

They feel great at hwy speeds but...

it is harder to reach them. I am still running 4:10s but even in 4th at the desired rpm's the weight is very noticeable. It has effected mileage as well. At least 1mpg compared to the 35 " radials I was using. Some of this could be due to it holding gears unnecessarily. Occasionally I look at the tach and it is at 4500. Now that I know I lift for a split second and it shifts.

I aired down to 10psi and the tires didn't look any different. They sure work great, particularly in the desert. They soak up baby head boulders like they aren't even there and grab at the ground like they are mad at it!
I've only been offroad for a couple hours because I had the flu and then a few other Jeep projects and overtime and house shopping...

Tomorrow I am doing the Mojave Trail with another Jeep and I plan to air down more and really see how they do. I also trussed and braced the front end since the last time so I don't have to be so easy on it.

It also seems like one tire might be out of round. To the point that my Jeep sometimes rubs the garage door and sometimes doesn't, depending on if I'm on a low spot or a high one. I haven't put the spare on that side yet or tried anything else. I could have a bent flange or wheel I guess...
post #11 of 16 Old 02-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

| edit: before anyone puts time into readin this post - that is to a 2+ year old thread - let it be noted beforehand that my reply came before I went and noticed that the member I ask questions of about the Trepador bias reports he was running a 35" Toyo 5 months later.
I don't know what that might mean ( yet?) but it doesn't bode well for him continmuing to run the Maxxis I am considering- j3ff3ry
|

@Ronson

I see you haven't been around hwre since Nov past but if you check these,
I [a] appreciate your info , same with Marcus @RiverCityOffroad for this threads content. I had not seen this and am havin a real tough time finalizing a decision to buy a set of these e carcass 8060 npn-competition compound 37"
flavor.
I would [b] really appreciate any update about wear after drivin on these as you'd mentioned would be taking place. How the Trep's hanging and any images of wear you can post?

I have a very odd use case of something under 83lbs, 37" with super off road abiloiuty and bombproof sidewalls . I only put highway milesa driving to trails. that can be as far as 800miles but more commonly within 250miles round trip, maybe 10-15 times per year tops. home park is un der 100 miles round trip . Other than that is trails.

I am about to buy. Love to see pix of even minimal wear from ;light road use..

How bad will my sub 5000lb JKU deal with an e rated bias tire?

Any references on best place to acquire them? I have been talking to a vendor on pirate and lookin at 2450-2470 for 5 of them.
any better deals you guys know of?

thanks. I know it's an older thread. hoping for info before expenive purchase.

Can you tell I am sick of the All Terrains living in Tennessee?
KO2s are kick ass tires if you live and wheel in Utah.
However, if I cont wheeling this set that is about 70% wear the way I do, I am going to tear them up and never be able to sell them. Life changed suddenly right after getting them for commuting weekly then wheeling hard Sat/Sun. Now it hardlee ever sees road time.
Need Mud Tires.
Aggressive, strong mud tires.

thanks for advice anyones.

;jeep2:

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-09-2018 at 05:57 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

i coulda sworn yours were the competition compound 8060s, Marcus. I like this opinion.

post #13 of 16 Old 02-09-2018, 06:55 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
i coulda sworn yours were the competition compound 8060s, Marcus. I like this opinion.
Which 37 are you quoting? 37X[12,13].50-17LT?
post #14 of 16 Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Rock God

I wouldn't put an E-rated bias tire on my jeep in my worst nightmare. That sounds like a really bad idea. Will ride so stiff on the road and you'll probably just pull your valve stems off-road and still wish you could air down further (I don't think pulling a vacuum works to go further!). Doesn't matter how many people on a forum told me it seemed like a good idea, I'd just never do it!

Just my opinion.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-09-2018, 09:22 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I had the Bias on it for a short while and after a couple of wheeling trips, including Moab, I took them off and sold them to purchase a set of the competition compound. I drive my Jeep out of the garage and on to a trailer...I would *NOT* consider buying these things and expecting to drive to the trail.

We drove the Jeep about 140 miles while we were in Moab last year and the wear was probably 1/4" of tread. They wear insanely fast on pavement. (competition)

I would strongly recommend against these tires in either compound for a rig that is driven to the trail. The standard bias didn't hook up unless they were completely flat and that was even a stretch in most places. The stickies are like a tree frog on granite. Absolutely incredible.

These tires are far too expensive to be running around town on them. Buy some Maxxis RZRs or a Trail Grappler instead. I can get you either one and I'll sell you some Treps too if you just have to have them.

post #16 of 16 Old 02-10-2018, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
Which 37 are you quoting? 37X[12,13].50-17LT?
the 12.50s , @snout

Srry bout long response guys. This is a big deal to me .

When I had my first 35s , they were Cooper STT metric sized 315-75r16Lt which were thick , e-rated carcasses and at 8-9psi they gave and flexed fine . Coulda been the extra sidewall from the 16Ē wheel I suppose. They broke in and became even more supple at low air. To my knowledge those are on third JKU still being used and re used . I only bring that up re: e rated , @christensent

The video below shows an Aussie truggy Toyota ďthingĒ runnin no beadlocks and the proposed tires ; I think Iíd guess correctly that that thing with all the cage tube and bed etc still has to weigh less than my jku ...although it was trailered in..

(if it helps with recommending tires that would perform for my requirements, from the 03:35 minute mark until the end of that above video , the terrain obstacles thatís displayed is pretty much exactly the conditions I wheel in except 50% of the time it would be wet & muddy , too)

Folks on pirate and other forums are running the Lt non-comp and say with strict rotation and pressure, a bias MT will not wear as extremely as a comp sticky with low street mileage to and from trails . This is why I am hammering the point ; it seems really hard to pin down what the experience would be ...

I get what yíall are saying . Itís stupid to get something this costly that at best might be limited to only 20-25k miles but I put like 4500 road miles on the jeep last year. 3 to 4 , 500mile drives down to Georgia or Alabama & then just the rides to trailheads.

I looked very very closely at the new RAZR MT , Marcus ( @RiverCityOffroad ) The tread seems so similar to the creepy crawlers Id fear rain and read in really sloppy stuff those new radials are mediocre . I was dead set on those until I read some reviews about mud behavior.
Iím gonna get a for saying it but Iíve always thought the Nitto TG were overrated and heavy.
Plus, donít both of those tires in 37Ēx12.50x17 weigh over 85lbs ? I have that data and will check.

PBRs are just too heavy. Iíve looked at every Interco and just donít find a fit that weighs under 85lbs in size I want.

I guess the STT Pros are light but again, I want like 21-23/32s of tread depth , not 19-20/32s . Plus , those are C rated iirc.

Iíve really looked closely at the new Yokohama GT0003 as itís got serious tread depth but if a company canít stand behind a tire with a solid warranty how can you believe in them enough to purchase? Weird.

Not trying to wear out a dead horse here. Iíve been doing research for 4 months now.

Really respect and value yíalls opinions.

Todayís a freaking prime example of whatís causing all this; 4th weekend in a row I do not get to go out either 70 miles to my property out West or head down South about 100miles to my home OHV Park to wheel because itís raining or muddy. The bfg KO2s are such nice tires but just canít deal with the Offroad conditions I am in about 80% of the time.

I havenít wheeled in a month because of water? To hell with that , I want tires that I donít have to care about such stuff.

I wanna real trail rated jeep , not a ďTrail-rated When Dry and Optimal Conditions ExistĒ

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-10-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode