Widest Tire on Stock Sahara Wheel - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-20-2015, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Widest Tire on Stock Sahara Wheel

Hey guys,
I ordered my 4inch suspension lift yesterday from trailmaster for $508.00 out the door shipped and everything. It says everything you need and should not have to order any other parts. I hope this is true. Lol. My question is.... I actually like my stock sahara wheels. I would however like to put bigger tires on. I'm assuming 35s are the biggest I can go and would probably be the best bet anyway? As far as the width, does it matter much? I am looking for a used set to save money so I won't have a mechanic to tell me yeah it will work fine. I mostly see 35x12.5x18. Is this what I need? I know I need the 35 and 18 parts... lol. But I'm not a mechanic by any means. I don't drive alot, so mostly this is for looks with occasional small trail rides but not very often. Nothing major. Thank you guys and stay safe!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-20-2015, 12:06 PM
JKO Addict!

They lied to you. If you can, cancel that lift and do some research.

Tire manufactures list spec's for their tires including wheel width recommendations. Running wider/taller then factory tends to require wheel adapters.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-20-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What would be missing from the lift? I take it they have a bad rep??? I will try and look more into the tire deal. Thanks dirt man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-20-2015, 06:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Here is a link that may give you a better idea on lifts. It is on a couple of forums but not this one. Any 4" lift you find for $500 will be incomplete and tend to take poor short cuts on geometry correction and tend to end up costing two to three times more in the end to get a quality performing suspension.

http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/showt...ur-getting-one

Some build info here:

post #5 of 12 Old 12-20-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you again. One of the biggest things I have found so far is the drop control arm brackets. But I will keep looking onto it. I appreciate it.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-21-2015, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So do I still need to cancel the order or just order a lower control arm mount from quadratech and add it on? If I need to cancel I will need to do it this morning before they ship it. From what I read that is the biggest piece they cheaper out on..... sorry to bother you all with these questions when I know you have probably answered 100 times. I've looked but for some reason my phone doesn't open the answers like it should. It goes to the forums main page everything. Again I appreciate everyone's response.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-21-2015, 07:15 AM
JKO Addict!

I would cancel the order and buy a kit from a reputable company or piece together a lift from the components you need.

Some build info here:

post #8 of 12 Old 12-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Wheeler

^^

Good advice. The 500 dollar "complete lift" will be anything but. And I'd be willing that if the shocks are included they're garbage. I learned that lesson putting an RC lift on my cherokee only to switching to a lower RE lift a few years later. the difference on an off road cannot be overstated, it was completely different. Should have went with the pricier lift up front but I didn't.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-22-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So I cancelled my order today. They said it would have shipped next Monday. So I will be doing something more research on better ways to get 35s on and less stress on the jeep.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-23-2015, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So here is an update... tell me what ya think....

I am now thinking about a 2.5 to 3 inch body lift with Springs and fender flares to house 35" tires. I will get a heavy duty sway bar and other parts over time. Maybe a quality suspension lift. This is just to clear the tires for now. Anybody have any recommendations for going this route? I am liking the Tera flex stuff at this point as well. Also will I need the fender flares to fit them first or could I put the tires on with factory fenders. I still plan to get them anyway, just want to see what order I need to go in if I can't afford it all at once. I need a better paying job.....

**I don't drive the jeep alot, mainly on the weekends and don't do much of trails. I would like to take on some trails eventually, but nothing major as I don't need anything broke so quickly. I'm not really worried about gas mileage either as I don't drive enough to really use alot. I put 2600 miles on my last car in about 8 months. Just an idea of how much. And most of which is around town about 45mph. **
post #11 of 12 Old 12-24-2015, 09:54 AM
JKO Addict!

No on the body lift. Did you read the link I posted? It pretty much will give you the info you want.

For 35" flat fenders and proper wheel bs will allow you to run 35's without any lift at all. If you want to keep the factory fenders you can run a simple 2" budget boost with shock extenders for your cheapest solution.
Going over 2" on lift really starts to affect the geometry and will require more and more parts to get things lined back up.

Some build info here:

post #12 of 12 Old 12-24-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

10-4. Thank you for helping me. I will go that route and not worry about a lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode