Firestone Destination M/T vs. Goodyear DuraTrac... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Firestone Destination M/T vs. Goodyear DuraTrac...

My apologies if this has been asked before...

The wife and I have decided to visit her family in Colorado for Christmas this year, and the OEM tires (Goodyear AT/S?) on my JKU Sport S are a bit too worn for my tastes, keeping in mind the possibility of snow over an 11-hour drive.

Needless to say, I'm looking into new tires. I've had great experiences with Firestone Destination M/Ts (2 sets on an '08 Tacoma, 1 set on an '88 Bronco). I managed to get about 40k miles out of each set.

I've now stumbled across the Goodyear DuraTracs, and I'm wondering about whether I should give them a try.

The particulars:

1. My JKU is my daily driver. No real 'wheeling, but I do need to get out to some remote locations to hunt and fish. Plus, now the JK will be the "go-to" for trips to CO.

2. I'm planning a TF Leveling Kit. While I'd expected to wait until I needed new tires to level the Jeep (so I could spring for some 285/70R17s...), I don't mind the look of a leveled JK with 255/75R17s, so that's the direction I'm leaning.

Opinions? Thanks in advance.

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Granite Guru

Those two tires could not be much more different. The Firestones are very old technology with zero siping. The Duratracs are result of modern tire technology. At/mt hybrid with lots of siping giving it the mountain/snowflake designation. Quiet, light, long tread life. Great tire. Only downside is they have a soft sidewall. If you do any harder wheeling on trails in the woods with lots of roots and sticks poking out, you will slice sidewalls (I've sliced three).

08 JKUR

Just an asshole with a Jeep....

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
post #3 of 6 Old 11-14-2015, 07:54 PM
cfr
Wheeler

I'm in Colorado and ran the Duratracs for 50k. They were unstoppable in the snow for the first two years. Great all-around tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2015, 12:39 AM
Granite Guru

Duratrac's get my vote. They are more aggressive than a regular AT yet not as harsh as MT.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-10-2016, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Digging up this old thread to update...

It's just about time to be seriously thinking about tires, so I called the local Firestone dealer (who's also a friend of mine...) about some 285/70R17s. I had narrowed my search down to 3 tires:

BFG A/T KO2
Firestone Destination A/T
General Grabber AT2

I like the DuraTracs, but I couldn't really justify the price over the BFG KO2. Everywhere I looked, they were actually higher than the KO2, which surprised me, with the KO2 being an E-range (10 ply) tire, when the DTs are D-range.

I've also read great reviews on the Destination A/T and Grabber AT2.

Anyhow, called him and the KO2s were going to be $260ish mounted and balanced, Grabber AT2s $240ish, and Destination A/Ts $220ish.

He then asked, "Did you like the Destination M/Ts on your Tacoma?" I did, but couldn't justify spending the same or more than an A/T tire when I don't really "need" an M/T. He advised me that Firestone has some major overstock on the 285/70R17 Destination M/Ts, and he could sell me a set for less than $200 per tire, mounted and balanced.

So, needless to say, I'll be getting a set of 5 Destination M/Ts by the end of the week. No, I don't need them. Yes, the KO2s or Destination A/Ts may have been "better for me" in the long run, but I just can't pass up a deal like that, when I know I'll get at least 50k (more, since I'll be doing 5-tire rotations) out of the M/Ts.

I've got my Spidertrax spacers on the Jeep, and will post pics once the new tires are mounted up.

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-11-2016, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got the Destination M/Ts mounted up today.

Spare and take-off tires are loaded in the back, that's why it's squatting.

I thought I could get away with hanging the spare on the tailgate without doing anything else, but it appears not, as the tire contacts the CHMSL. Looks like a TeraFlex CHMSL/License Plate Relocator is in order!

EDIT: I got home, unloaded all my take-off tires, and decided to throw the spare up there to see if it actually wouldn't fit on the spare carrier. I didn't try it myself at the tire shop (was in a suit, headed to work...). I found out that it will, in fact, fit.

It just touches the third brake light pedestal, and apparently the guys at the tire shop didn't want to risk tearing up my Jeep. I respect that. But I was quite annoyed when I discovered they didn't send me off with the lug nuts to secure the spare tire. Stopped by this morning and picked up the lug nuts. They wanted to mount the spare for me, but I decided I'd rather do it myself -- it does take a bit of finagling and "holding your mouth just right" to get it in place.

Chase

Last edited by COBrien; 10-12-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode