MTR w/ Kevlar sidewall puncture - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-20-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
MTR w/ Kevlar sidewall puncture

I'm looking for any feedback you might all have. I recently was on a pretty basic trail ride in Florida and ended up with a very small puncture in the sidewall of my Goodyear MTRs. I had thought that the kevlar was in place to help prevent these punctures. These tires only had about 2k miles on them so it really sucks to need another one so soon......
as a side note these were 37x12.5x17s.

Has anyone every had any luck with Goodyear doing something to help with an issue like this? I plan to give them a call just to try tomorrow but thought I'd try to get some feedback first.

2012 JK 2 door
37" MTRs
17" Rugged Ridge XHD wheels
Fold down "Jeep" tailgate
Sport roll bar
River Raider front and rear bumpers
Cut Rock Rails
AVE hood
Custom High Clearance fenders
Line-X'ed

Squatch build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-20-2015, 06:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've torn up a sidewall on my MTR's and feel lucky it's only happened once. Been wheeling MTR's for 4 years.

They are known for having a somewhat weak sidewall. I buy the insurance from Discount Tire to help when one tears up.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-21-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks TC. Good to know.

2012 JK 2 door
37" MTRs
Sport roll bar
Cut Rock Rails
AVE hood
Line-X'ed

Squatch build:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-21-2015, 07:22 AM
Granite Guru

Unless you bought some sort of insurance/no questions asked warranty when you bought them, you're on your own with this one. That sucks.

08 JKUR

Just an asshole with a Jeep....

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
post #5 of 13 Old 10-21-2015, 07:25 AM
JKO Addict!

If you don't want to pay to replace tires either stay on the pavement or buy the road hazard warrantee many places offer. The belts are not there for puncture resistance they are there for the stability and weight handle got the tire.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #6 of 13 Old 10-22-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for the feedback. I did give Goodyear corporate a call and they were able to help out based on the fact that that the tires are still so new. They called it a one time concession support. I have to say they may have just made me a customer for life. I did not expect any support because I did not have any kind of road hazard (which I will from now on) but thought I give them a call anyway. They did not replace the tire but I am paying a whole lot less than the normal $409 price. It never hurts to ask.

2012 JK 2 door
37" MTRs
Sport roll bar
Cut Rock Rails
AVE hood
Line-X'ed

Squatch build:

post #7 of 13 Old 10-22-2015, 07:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^^^

Very cool

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #8 of 13 Old 10-22-2015, 07:47 PM
It never ends...

I quit using them a long time ago because of side wall tears. I went through multiple sets. Side wall tears are so hard if not impossible to trail repair. So I got rid of them, not worth the risk in backcountry.

My new favorites are Nittos.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #9 of 13 Old 10-26-2015, 07:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax00 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I did give Goodyear corporate a call and they were able to help out based on the fact that that the tires are still so new. They called it a one time concession support. I have to say they may have just made me a customer for life. I did not expect any support because I did not have any kind of road hazard (which I will from now on) but thought I give them a call anyway. They did not replace the tire but I am paying a whole lot less than the normal $409 price. It never hurts to ask.
Wow, that's awesome. I did not see that coming. I've sliced the sidewalls of three Duratracs now, but I have the extreme warranty from 4wp.

08 JKUR

Just an asshole with a Jeep....

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
post #10 of 13 Old 10-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Granite Guru

Just had one of mine punctured after a year. Have the Discount Tire warranty but they said they they can't find but a couple sets(4-5 held as a full set) at <5 of their stores nationwide. They also said they called Goodyear and Goodyear stated they are discontinuing the 37x12.50x17 MTR....

The same store was magical getting my 5 when I first ordered them but they are not having any luck with this replacement.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-26-2015, 02:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPrince View Post
Goodyear stated they are discontinuing the 37x12.50x17 MTR....
What???

I dont believe that...

post #12 of 13 Old 10-26-2015, 04:40 PM
Granite Guru

It is hard to believe but exactly what I was told by my local discount tire this afternoon.

EDIT - someone at DT is smoking some good stuff. Just called Goodyear and took a bit to get to the right lady but they just put a bunch into production this week. They have 2k on backorder though.

Last edited by BigPrince; 10-27-2015 at 08:58 AM.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-24-2015, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Very interesting. Thank you all.

2012 JK 2 door
37" MTRs
Sport roll bar
Cut Rock Rails
AVE hood
Line-X'ed

Squatch build:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode