Wheel configuration for 97 Jeep Wrangler - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 09-10-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Wheel configuration for 97 Jeep Wrangler

Hi all

New to this site and new to the technical aspects of Jeeps. Have had a 97 Jeep Wrangler for many years now but drove it for about a year and then let is sit for many years without driving it. Now I am getting ready to drive it but have issues with the old but actually new tires I put on it just before parking it.

The four tires purchased years ago were BF Goodrich All Terrain TA 31 X 10.5 R15 LT on stock chrome rims which came with the Jeep. The treads are like brand new but the years sitting in the weather has caused many cracks in the side walls which my mechanic says are not safe for highway travelling and need changing.

I also have a brand new spare I just put on recently that does not have the cracks, so it is very useable. Just needs a different wheel.

The Jeep as it sits has an issue with tire rubbing on tight turns. This started when I put the new tires on. I have been told that getting different wheels would eliminate that problem.

I also had a two inch lift kit added to the Jeep.

My dilemma is this......

I like the look of the current tires but am wondering that if I have to replace both tire and wheels, is their a better configuration I could get, that looks as good or better and gives me better performance both on and off road. As far as off road goes nothing very extreme for me, just light stuff (for now)

If I go to a different size tire I will not be able to utilize the good spare tire, which is not very critical to me if a different configuration would give me better on and off road experience. So that shouldn't be a determining factor if a better option is available.

I was also wondering if going to a 16 or 17 in. wheel would be worth considering. I do like the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tire and was told that the size LT265/75R16 All Terrain T/A KO2 would work well with a 16 X 8 wheel with backspace of 3.75" to eliminate the rubbing on tight turns.

Looking forward to any and all suggestions, opinions, and thoughts.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode