3.5" MetalCloak Game Changer, Overline Tube Fenders, & 37 MTRs... Backspacing... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-11-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

3.5" MetalCloak Game Changer, Overline Tube Fenders, & 37 MTRs... Backspacing...

So from what I can tell if I want to avoid rubbing with this setup I need to get my wheels with a backspacing of somewhere between 3.5 and 4. So I started my search.. I'm a fan of all black wheels. If I didn't have restrictions and they were good quality the kind of look I'm after is like the American Outlaw Buckshot... However, with my restrictions to fit the tire to the JKU... I'm finding my options to be limited. Perhaps I'm looking in all the wrong places... But so far this is one of the options I've found that I find decent.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmf-a201615/overview/

I'd rather get closer to 4 then to 3.5 to be honest, but I'm concerned that maybe 4 will cause rubbing issues or I'll have to start adjusting the steering stops, which I don't want to do.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone have any first hand experience with this that can help direct me towards sites to look at that are likely to have the wheel options I'm looking within?

Does anyone have any feedback on the wheel listed above? It's expensive.. that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

Just FYI I have the same suspension, tires, and armor. I was rubbing lca/frame and bumper(rockbrawler lite) with 4.5bs. I added 1.5 spacers so now 3" bs and do not rub. If I had to do it over I'd shoot for 3.75"bs. 4 may do it but it might be close.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-11-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPrince View Post
Just FYI I have the same suspension, tires, and armor. I was rubbing lca/frame and bumper(rockbrawler lite) with 4.5bs. I added 1.5 spacers so now 3" bs and do not rub. If I had to do it over I'd shoot for 3.75"bs. 4 may do it but it might be close.
Yeah that's what I'm wondering.. I'm wondering if I can get away with 4 or not. It's really freaking hard to find wheels with 3.75" or 4" of backspacing in black alloy for under $200!

Found the above a 3.5 and then these at just over 4" - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ar...724n/overview/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Wheeler

my wheels are 17x9 4.5bs and i'm looking to at the same setup you're describing (37, GC and overlines). as much as i don't want to run a wheel spacer, bora makes them as thin as .75" and are hub centric. i'll likely go with a 1" so i'll only have to grind down the very tips of my bolts. if the wheels you want are not hub centric, bora can also customize the spacers to make it so.

just an option you have that will allow you to run the wheels you really want instead of settling for just something that won't rub.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-29-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxboxa View Post
my wheels are 17x9 4.5bs and i'm looking to at the same setup you're describing (37, GC and overlines). as much as i don't want to run a wheel spacer, bora makes them as thin as .75" and are hub centric. i'll likely go with a 1" so i'll only have to grind down the very tips of my bolts. if the wheels you want are not hub centric, bora can also customize the spacers to make it so.

just an option you have that will allow you to run the wheels you really want instead of settling for just something that won't rub.
Definitely don't want to run spacers... Probably going Dana 60s anyway.. will chance my options pretty drastically.

So, since I'm trying to keep my total stance width at 81.5" or less. Here's how I'm figuring out the math to see total stance width. Can someone check it for me and let me know if I've messed anything up.

Dana 44
Axle: 65"
8.5 Wheel Offset: 0.75" (3.75" Backspacing)
Half Tire Width: 6.75"

Total: 80" (65" + .75" + .75" + 6.75" + 6.75")

Dana 60
Axle: 69"
8.5" Wheel Offset: -0.5" (5.25" Backspacing)
Half Tire Width: 6.75"

Total: 81.5" (69" + (-0.5)" + (-0.5)" + 6.75" + 6.75")

So if my above calculations are correct, I'll be best off with:

8" Wheel: +19 offset
8.5" Wheel: +12 offset
9" Wheel: +6 offset

Does that seem right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode