Cooper Discoverer STT PRO Above the Treeline - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old 08-07-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Cooper Discoverer STT PRO Above the Treeline

We put Cooper's new Discoverer STT PRO through the paces this past week on the scenic trails of Ouray, CO at the 9th Annual FJ Summit sponsored by Discount Tire. Those of you that have been to Ouray know that the terrain can change from one corner to the next and high altitude passes demand tires that don't slip. To us, it's a great location to put some new rubber to the test. As an added challenge, it rained nearly every day at the event so our Discoverer STT PRO equipped 2WD Tacoma had it's work cut out, or so we thought anyway.

The silica infused rubber compound provided the necessary grip on wet rocks and the asymmetrical scallops on alternating lugs, combined with the optimized 3-2 tread pattern, delivered solid traction and clean out in the slop. That said, we did find one spot on Imogene Pass that required us to get a little tug (the S-turn towards the top of the trail). The combination of slippery mud, tight turns, 2WD, and an incline was just enough to hold us up. If we would have had 4WD we would have pulled right through it.

In addition, we put approximately 1,000 highway miles on this tire making our way to and from Ouray. The tires tracked well down the road and were responsive to our steering input. There was some road noise present, but this is to be expected from an aggressive tire like this; with the windows up and the radio on, we quickly forgot about any tire noise.

We think Cooper hit the nail on the head with the STT PRO and it is an excellent option to consider for the enthusiast who spends a decent amount of time off-road but still needs on-road reliability and handling. If you're running a set of Discoverer STT PRO tires let us know what you think here; we, as well as Cooper, would love to hear from you.

Click image for 1001x1001 view

Click here for: Cooper Discoverer STT PRO Pricing and Availability

Key Features

• 50% more protection against impact damage than standard two-ply tires through “ARMOR-TEK3” Carcass Protection
  • Maximum mud traction enabled by asymmetrical scallops on alternating lugs
  • Maintains excellent surface contact on loose terrain while increasing stability and reduced road noise through staggered 3-2 tread pattern
  • Delivers improved wet grip with silca enriched rubber compounding

For additional write-ups on the Cooper Discoverer STT PRO, check out the links below.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 02-21-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 08-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Granite Guru

About time you guys got these in. I wish Cooper would make more of the common Jeep sizes with black side walls instead of the ghey raised white letters. (Yeah i know they can be turned to face the other way) I'm also on an active campaign for it to be offered in 255/80R17. I like my pizza cutters.
Spaste19 likes this.
post #3 of 70 Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJLH View Post
About time you guys got these in. I wish Cooper would make more of the common Jeep sizes with black side walls instead of the ghey raised white letters. (Yeah i know they can be turned to face the other way) I'm also on an active campaign for it to be offered in 255/80R17. I like my pizza cutters.
Thanks for the comments, Indy. Tall and narrower is definitely increasing in popularity; I'll pass your suggestion along.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 Old 08-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Granite Guru

Yeah, right now it looks like the only real options for a 255/80R17 are the Cooper ST Maxx and the BFG KM2. I don't understand why there aren't more choices in this size. This is a popular size for 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks with DRW too.
post #5 of 70 Old 08-08-2015, 07:26 AM
Rock God

Garage

These tires are bad ass. I've had a couple of sets (315/70R17's and 37x12.50R17's) for a while now and have wheeled the 315/70's. They performed surprisingly well for an E rated tire and the sidewalls flexed better than expect. The 37's will do even better. Wet and dry traction offroad is amazing and on the street as well.

The STT Pro's are definitely my new favorite tire and I would recommend them. I am hoping they release a 40 soon as that's what I need for my latest build.

post #6 of 70 Old 09-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Wheeler

Just put a set of these on my JK the other day - replacing my Nitto TGs. With about 60 miles of road time thus far... far too early to offer any real experience feedback. But so far, I like them. I really like the tread pattern and from what I can tell and based on experience with many other designs I've had in the past, I think these are going to offer a nice balance of on/off road performance.

I've got an 18" wheel... so was limited to a 325/65 in the ~35" flavor (as calculated 34.6").

I'll be hitting the trails later this month... if I remember to do so, will offer more feedback afterwards.
post #7 of 70 Old 09-04-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #8 of 70 Old 09-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Granite Guru

I really like the look of these tires. Anyone know the weight of a 37x12.50x17?

08 JKUR

Just an asshole with a Jeep....

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
post #9 of 70 Old 09-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDano View Post
Just put a set of these on my JK the other day - replacing my Nitto TGs. With about 60 miles of road time thus far... far too early to offer any real experience feedback. But so far, I like them. I really like the tread pattern and from what I can tell and based on experience with many other designs I've had in the past, I think these are going to offer a nice balance of on/off road performance.

I've got an 18" wheel... so was limited to a 325/65 in the ~35" flavor (as calculated 34.6").

I'll be hitting the trails later this month... if I remember to do so, will offer more feedback afterwards.
Road noise comparison between the Trail grappler and stt pro?

08 JKUR

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
post #10 of 70 Old 09-04-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
I really like the look of these tires. Anyone know the weight of a 37x12.50x17?
83lbs

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #11 of 70 Old 09-05-2015, 04:23 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Road noise comparison between the Trail grappler and stt pro?
I would think the STT Pro would have less road noise due to it having a 2-3-2-3 center lug pattern. This should breakup vibration nodes that contribute to noise. The Nitto Trail Grappler has a repeating 2 lug center pattern so I would think it would be more prone to noise generation.
post #12 of 70 Old 09-05-2015, 05:22 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
83lbs
Thanks.

08 JKUR

post #13 of 70 Old 10-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm interested in trying these but, I'm nite looking for how they do on road. How do they compare to my Irok ND's?
post #14 of 70 Old 10-05-2015, 05:14 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDano View Post

So how much weight did they take to balance? How do they do on road as far as balancing shake shinny wobble?
Highway speeds are important too....
post #15 of 70 Old 10-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Granite Guru

Anyone know how tall the 37's are compared to the nittos?
post #16 of 70 Old 10-06-2015, 04:10 AM
Wheeler

Size avail for 35x12.50r17?
post #17 of 70 Old 10-06-2015, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus-jeep View Post
We haven't seen a side by side comparison but Cooper and Nitto truck tires tend to run pretty true in size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickonice View Post
Size avail for 35x12.50r17?
Cooper is not building the STT PRO in the flotation 35x12.50R-17 size (maybe in the future?), however they do have the LT-Metric equivalent available. See the link below for details.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #18 of 70 Old 10-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
I'm interested in trying these but, I'm nite looking for how they do on road. How do they compare to my Irok ND's?
On road performance is great....I would say comparable to an aggressive AT like a Duratrac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
So how much weight did they take to balance? How do they do on road as far as balancing shake shinny wobble?
Balanced well with no shake, shimmy or wobble. Highway speeds are not a problem

Quote:
Not sure about Nitto's but the 37's measured out at 36.8" with 28lbs of air pressure.

Love these tires so much I even got a set of 285/70R17's for my daughters Willys.
Attached Images

post #19 of 70 Old 10-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
On road performance is great....I would say comparable to an aggressive AT like a Duratrac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
Balanced well with no shake, shimmy or wobble. Highway speeds are not a problem

Quote:
Not sure about Nitto's but the 37's measured out at 36.8" with 28lbs of air pressure.

Love these tires so much I even got a set of 285/70R17's for my daughters Willys.
Wow! They look absolutely amazing on those rigs!
post #20 of 70 Old 10-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Granite Guru

Hopefully I'll have them mounted and balanced tomorrow!
post #21 of 70 Old 10-09-2015, 07:56 AM
Granite Guru

Looks sweet! What size?
post #22 of 70 Old 10-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Wheeler

37x12.5 on rubicon wheels and 2.5" Rock Krawler springs
Attached Images

post #23 of 70 Old 10-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ridder View Post
37x12.5 on rubicon wheels and 2.5" Rock Krawler springs
37x12.50

I got them mounted today and I've got some rubbing in the rear. I smashed the plastic bumper last weekend wheeling which caused it to stick out some. I'm going to cut the fenders and bumper soon.
post #24 of 70 Old 10-14-2015, 05:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
Did you have to run spacers with the stock wheels to prevent rubbing? How tall do they measure out and at what pressure? Thanks.
post #25 of 70 Old 10-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJLH View Post
Did you have to run spacers with the stock wheels to prevent rubbing? How tall do they measure out and at what pressure? Thanks.
They measured 33" tall at 35psi. No spacers needed but we are running Poison Spyder Customs 1.5" spacers for aesthetics.

Just picked up a set of 295/70R17's to throw on because my daughter wanted to go taller. Off the Jeep they look much bigger but my guess is we will see about 1/2" more once they are mounted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode