Beadlock leaking air - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Beadlock leaking air

I recently had some 17" race line Beadlocks mated to 37" Mud grapplers. A day later and 3 of the 4 are leaking air. They haven't been driven on and are just being used to set up the lift.

I didn't install them my tire shop did.

Any idea why this is happening? Anything to look for? Im going to have my mechanic look at them while they're in the shop, he's more familiar than I am with this thing.

I can't image 3 brand new race line wheels are bad or visa versa with the tires.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have nothing to add but it sounds like they should have done a better job at installing them... I did mine myself and had zero issues.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Sounds like your "tire" shop did a piss poor job of installing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Rock God

Check the torque on the bolts. And torque those that are lacking. Maybe spray some soapy water to find the leaky area. If that approach does not work deflate and start over yourself. It is not hard at all just time consuming. Take your time because if you don't it will take more time. Get you some beers and go to town. I have Racelines and these are my first beadlocks. It is not a big deal to do it. Use a star pattern. I keep mine at 17ftlbs. I think that is a happy medium fro. What the range is on the instructions. Good luck.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 12:49 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

This is why I kept saying you needed to fully understand what you were getting into with bead locks. There isn't anything wrong with the wheels.

You would be doing yourself a favor to loosen all of the bolts on the mounting rings and go through the proper torque procedure to ensure that those rings are on there correctly. The tire shop probably threw the rings on and torqued them down like they would a wheel onto a vehicle.

Your tire is 100% relying on the bolts on the ring on the face of the wheel and if it is torqued incorrectly the ring will leak and might eventually break the bolts off in the wheel and then you've got a real fun situation on your hand.

The proper way to do it is to start all of the bolts and make passes with a torque wrench and go up in tension until you reach the specs of the wheel manufacturer. It is time consuming, but not difficult at all.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Granite Guru

If you can't put them together yourself, you should not have purchased beadlocks. They require maintenance - not a lot, but they require more care than normal wheels. Obviously your tire shop was lazy with assembling them and the ring is not seated properly. Start over and do it yourself.

- offroad inspired decals for your jeep
--
2008 Unlimited Rubicon - Silver (Locked and Loaded)
2014 Unlimited Sport - Billet Silver (Mall Crawler)
post #7 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Pretty good vid on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 03:01 PM
JKowners Vendor

It could also have to do with bead spacers if those tires have thick beads and your using Aluminum trim rings. Allied no longer machines the rim for thick beads like a MTR or a Nitto Trail Grappler. Using steel rings isn't a problem its when you use the Aluminum rings that they will not install flat. Result you break bolts. Install the spacers now you will loose some air no matter how carefully you Tq the bolts.

1 tire now doesn't leak, 2 leak 1 lbs a day and 1 leaks 3lbs a day...its annoying to say the least.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #9 of 10 Old 07-02-2015, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the info, I knew I should have done them myself, but I was trying to save what little free time I have. When it gets back from getting the lift and everything put on Ill tear them down and get it done right.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-08-2015, 06:10 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
It could also have to do with bead spacers if those tires have thick beads and your using Aluminum trim rings. Allied no longer machines the rim for thick beads like a MTR or a Nitto Trail Grappler. Using steel rings isn't a problem its when you use the Aluminum rings that they will not install flat. Result you break bolts. Install the spacers now you will loose some air no matter how carefully you Tq the bolts.

1 tire now doesn't leak, 2 leak 1 lbs a day and 1 leaks 3lbs a day...its annoying to say the least.
I had to use the Raceline spacers AND washers with my MTR's -- and I still get a little coning with my aluminum rings.

2009 Silver Unlimited Rubicon -- Not really stock, anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode