MTR balancing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 06-09-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

MTR balancing

Im about to pull the trigger on a wheel and tire set up and am having 2nd thoughts on the MTR's I want.

I want to run a 37x12.50r17 MTR with Kevlar but I am worried about the balancing issues they have had. I would get some toyo's or nitto's but the weight is something Id like to avoid.
Has this been addressed at all or corrected?
Is there any way to possibly minimize the risk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Granite Guru

Mine have a very slight shimmy from 60-65. Not enough that I have wanted to spend money to do anything about.

A lot of it is the shop wanting to take the time to possibly break a bead and spin a tire. Road Force balancing can also help.

IF you have balance issues and want/need to have them re done make sure you go to an authorized Good Year dealer in case you have an out of round tire or something like that so Goodyear will take care of you on it.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-10-2015, 07:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Find a good shop that is going to take their time to get it down. Mine have no shake but took over a pound to balance...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Granite Guru

I had mine trued/shaved and 2 plane balanced. Butter smooth even after 5-6wheeling trips and a week in Moab(hitting the good trails - Rusty Nail, Pritchett's etc)
post #5 of 25 Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

The real problem is going to be finding MTRs right now. In the past the best way to get them to roll smooth has been to true/shave them as mentioned above.

If you add a beadlock wheel to the equation it will make the balancing more difficult.

Toyos or Nittos aren't THAT much heavier and they will roll smoother.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 25 Old 06-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
The real problem is going to be finding MTRs right now. In the past the best way to get them to roll smooth has been to true/shave them as mentioned above.

If you add a beadlock wheel to the equation it will make the balancing more difficult.

Toyos or Nittos aren't THAT much heavier and they will roll smoother.
X2 on that stay a away from mtrs i balance mine 3 times and there still not smooth

Mine :Build 2008 Rubicon unlimited black on black

Wife's :2014 All white Rubicon unlimited (mall crawler)
post #7 of 25 Old 06-10-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Do you guys think the difference in the Nitto D rating and Toyo E rating will make much of a difference, all others being equal?
post #8 of 25 Old 06-11-2015, 02:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzide View Post
Do you guys think the difference in the Nitto D rating and Toyo E rating will make much of a difference, all others being equal?

Toyo E will have a little firmer sidewall. No real big difference between them really. If you wheel where you rip a lot of sidewalls you may want the E

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #9 of 25 Old 07-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Granite Guru

Anyone know of a shop in the Denver area that can true/shave a tire if needed?

2014 JKUR White+white+white
post #10 of 25 Old 07-15-2015, 11:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Anyone know of a shop in the Denver area that can true/shave a tire if needed?
That just seems like a waste of tire ...
if you don't buy the MTRs because they are crap to balance...
mabey they will step up the game and fix the issue...

unless we are not on the mtr issue then Ignore me

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
post #11 of 25 Old 07-15-2015, 11:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've had MTR 35's for almost 2 years and NO issues with balancing. Then again, I do NOT use the TPMS sensors.

It is my belief that with aftermarket rims, you must offset the weight of the TPMS sensor when balancing the tire.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #12 of 25 Old 07-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Granite Guru

I have been somewhat fortunate with the MTR 35s. I have heard of several saying there were not. However, I do lean towards MTRs again now because they are over 34", are light yet strong, and perform great off road. So it always is in the top 2-3 choices for me. I was thinking of getting new 35s but just in case I have balancing issues, it would be good to have a shop that trues them.

The Nittos and Toyos are great quality tires for trucks but too heavy and too stiff for me...same with the Cooper MTs. I have not regeared and don't feel like adding 10-15 lbs per tire. 4.10s are barely adequate here for me. That said, I have heard of balancing issues with KM2s and Cooper STTs too.

post #13 of 25 Old 07-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Bon
Wheeler

I've been thru 2 sets of 37 mtrs first were on beadlocks and second we're not. Balancing issues on both set tried regular spin balancing and road force with little change. Both sets produced death wobble with the right speed and bump in the road. Switched them out to Nittos and all problems solved. Don't think I will ever use mtrs again.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Granite Guru

I share your concern. I am dreading getting a bad set. I am waiting to see if anything else comes out this Fall. I was considering the Nittos or Toyos but ~15 lbs more per tire will really drag me down even more going up the mountain highways and passes.

post #15 of 25 Old 07-16-2015, 07:16 AM
Granite Guru

Anyone know how much more a 37" trail grappler weighs than a 37" mtr? I thgink the mtr in 37x12.50x17 weighs 74 pounds but could be wrong. I have no idea how much the 37x12.50x17 trail grappler weighs
post #16 of 25 Old 07-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Granite Guru

I have seen where one guy weighed his on a calibrated scale and posted weights around 82.5 lbs. Others seems to be around the same but all have been over 80 lbs.

post #17 of 25 Old 07-16-2015, 07:31 AM
Granite Guru

cool thanks
post #18 of 25 Old 07-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Granite Guru

My 37'sbalanced fine. I just threw in a bag of beads when I mounted them on my spyderlocks.
post #19 of 25 Old 07-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Granite Guru

I recently put a set of cooper stt's on and they ride fairly rough. I'm getting them rebalanced tomorrow. I had a set of toyo's on my jk before and never had a balance issue.
post #20 of 25 Old 07-17-2015, 03:22 AM
Granite Guru

My first set of MTR 35's on steel wheels used clamp on weights that i had rebalanced every 5k. Worked fairly well for average mud grips. Most recent set on alloy wheels couldn't balance well so the shop used Equal balance powder. Insane smooth. Like a car tire. Never had large tires balance this well. Self-heals over time. Nothing to knock off wheeling or rebalnce over time. Crazy stuff. I was very doubtful at first but almost a year later i'm an Equal fanboy. Also heard good stories about the other larger style balance beads.

Last edited by earfixr; 07-17-2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Spelling sucked
post #21 of 25 Old 07-17-2015, 04:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

How many that have had problems balancing MTR's are using TPMS sensors?

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #22 of 25 Old 07-17-2015, 07:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

My 37/12.50/17 MT/R Kevlars would not balance. I was using TPMS sensors. No other tire I'd ever ran ( MT Baja Claws, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Toyo M/Ts) ever had any issue with TPMS sensors. Hell the Mud Grapplers and Toyo M/T's never even got balanced. They rode fine from the day I home mounted them on Raceline beadlocks and felt happy with how they drove, so I never had them balanced. It is definitely a quality issue with Goodyear and not an issue with the TPMS sensors.

I also had the same balancing issues with the Goodyear Silent Armor Kevlar tires that were OEM on my wife's '13 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Would not balance from the day it left the dealer's lot. Chrysler even replaced a full set of 4 under warranty, and the new set had 3 out of 4 that would not balance. I ended up selling the full set of new tires and put stock sized Nitto Terra Grapplers on it, which 100% fixed it.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi

Last edited by highoctane; 07-17-2015 at 07:10 AM.
post #23 of 25 Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I am running TPMS sensors and mine ran like shit until I had them trued. Now they are butter smooth. Couldn't be happier - true 37" tire with lightest weight.
post #24 of 25 Old 07-17-2015, 04:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post

I have run 35 and 37" MTR's for the last 4 years. No TPMS...got no time for that shit.

No balancing problems. Some of mine have taken some weight but they run smooth. Just drove my junk to work today, 30 miles each way on the highway, smooth as could be.

I deal with Discount Tire, which is a great company, and rotate and balance religiously, that may help. Don't know but it's free.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #25 of 25 Old 07-26-2015, 06:25 AM
Granite Guru

My 37" MTR's took a ton of weight to balance and most of those have ripped off.

I'm looking into Dynabeads or just thowing some airsoft ammo in each wheel.

The advantages would be no wieghts can rip off and when covered in mud, they with still be balanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode