Air pressure for 37s? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-05-2015, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Air pressure for 37s?

I just put on Goodyear Wrangler 37 12.5 17s on a 14 Wrangler 4 door. The dealer set them at 38psi but a buddy runs his at 28psi, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-05-2015, 05:04 AM
Granite Guru

Correct tire pressure varies from rig to rig and tire to tire. The weight of the rig, the width of the wheel, and the construction of the tire are all variables. 38 is definitely too much. 28 is probably closer to the correct pressure. The only way to properly set your tire pressure is the chalk method.

Draw a line across the tread of each tire and drive your Jeep forward or backward for a couple of tire revolutions. If the chalk is worn off only in the middle, there is too much air. If it's worn off on the outside, there isn't enough air. If it's worn off evenly, you've found the correct pressure. Write down the number front and rear so you have it when doing tire rotations. Front and rear pressure will often be different as there is more weight on your front tire. Also keep in mind this number might change slightly as your tire breaks in and the sidewalls soften up.

08 JKUR

Just an asshole with a Jeep....

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
post #3 of 7 Old 04-05-2015, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the info, incredibly simple but I would have never thought of it. I am going to do this when I get home from work today. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-05-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

I ended up with 28psi in front and 26psi in rear using the chalk method. Thanks for the advice.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-05-2015, 06:04 PM
JKO Addict!

26 works for me. Same tire but a 2 door

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #6 of 7 Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Granite Guru

I'm going to guess you are about 10 lbs. too high at 38. What is the maximum allowed psi on your tires? I ask because my 35's upper limit is 35 Lbs. I run 28-29 and also used the chalk test.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2015, 09:04 AM
Granite Guru

I run 26psi front / 24psi rear same tires, 2 door. When I air down, I'm at 13 front/12 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode