Toyo OC MT road hazard protection? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-28-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Toyo OC MT road hazard protection?

I'm about to pull the trigger on some Toyo Open Country MT 37s and I'm trying to decide if I need to spend the extra $332 Discount Tire quoted for road hazard protection for all 5 - since I plan on doing 5 tire rotations.

I spent the extra money for road hazard coverage on my Duratracs and I felt at first like it was cheap(ish) insurance but after 45,000 miles I never needed it. And I put those tires through their paces. I had tons of nails removed from them and they never even needed to be plugged. I thought for sure I'd tear up some sidewalls on rocks but didn't even get a scratch. Those things were indestructible.

The Toyos look even beefier and even more bombproof so I'm curious if anyone has managed to destroy one with moderate wheeling? I'm not planning on doing anything super hardcore. So if I can save the coin and put that towards something else I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Wheeler

I have those Toyo's in 35 and they ROCK! Heavy as He!! but great traction and never a problem. They have been on trails in Big Bear Mtns, Calico Desert, the Rubicon and Moab - and driving on the road to and back.

RH coverage is a gamble always, but these tires are stout.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Granite Guru

I put 75,000 miles on a set of 35's (rotated through all 5) and never flatted. I think I'd pass on it. The $322 will buy you a new one if you ever need to.

2009 Silver Unlimited Rubicon -- Not really stock, anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Rock God

Toyo OC MT 37's here, never issues no road hazard for me either
post #5 of 7 Old 04-11-2015, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Took a while to get any responses on this so I stopped checking... went ahead and got the coverage! I figured better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. With my luck I'd hit some shit on the freeway or something.

But you guys ain't kidding... these things are pure beef!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Wheeler

how are the tires performing so far on pavement? im looking into them in a 34" and my jeep is 93% daily driver with minimal off road (at least for now)... am i going to be eating up tires or do they last pretty well on pavement?
post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Granite Guru

Toyo just came out with an open country rt tire. More aggressive than an a/t with the looks of a mt tire. I have the mt's now and love them but I will probably get the new rt's if and when I ever wear out these mt's. Same sidewall but a more street friendly tread pattern for rain and snow.

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode