Will the fenders cover my new tires? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-26-2015, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Will the fenders cover my new tires?

Hi there everybody. I'm new to this forum, but a JKSU owner since 2008. I have recently ordered a new 2015 JKSU instead of my 08 and it will arrive in a couple of days.

Now to my question: I'm about to get a new set of wheels for the winter season for my new ride. I'm looking at black alloy rims suited for winter use, 17x8.5 with 30 mm offset and tires 265/70R17 with a more coarse pattern. If I've done the maths right the new rims will have a BS of approx 6". The rims will be 1" wider and the tires 10 mm wider than stock. Since the existing wheel setup is 18x7.5 with 255/70R18 the height will be approx the same, actually a 1/4" lower.

Before I order I'd like to know if the new wheels will stay under the fenders or if they will stick out some? What I mean is the thread not the whole width of the tire. It would also be preferable not to have the thread rub against the fender lip at full suspension travel.

Could any of you guys please enlighten me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-26-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Never mind my question. I took a wheel off and did some measuring. I should be good to go.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-26-2015, 05:16 PM
Granite Guru

That a lot of backspacing. Your target should less than 5". Your first concern should be interference. If you ever decide to get even larger tires as most do you will need to buy spacers for your new rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-26-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the input. I took one of the wheels off and did some measuring based on the facts in my post and I should be good to go. I don't think I will go for larger tires in the future.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-27-2015, 05:31 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

The original wheel setup on my 2015 JKU Sport S was 17x7.5 with a 255/75r17 tire. That being said, a 265/70r17 should not rub at all, even at full flex. I would recommend less backspacing but that's your choice. My tires are 295/70r17 and rims have 4.75" of backspacing and they lightly rub at full flex (I installed a 2" leveling kit) and full turn.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #6 of 10 Old 03-27-2015, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Ok, now suddenly it's all clear to me. Since the BS in this case is a constant at 6" it's the height of a larger tire that'll make it rub, not the width as I first thought.

Last edited by Mr. Wheeler; 03-27-2015 at 11:03 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 PM
Granite Guru

I think you need to understand that more backspace means the rim and tire are now closer to rubbing.

2013 JKR - with one of everything.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-28-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Of course I understand that. But the BS will be same as stock and since I'm not going for taller tires I should be fine.

2015 JK Unlimited Sahara Diesel
Anvil
No mods yet.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

what is your concern with fender coverage? is it because of laws or because you want to keep ground debris off of your Jeep?

if it's because you want to keep ground debris off of your Jeep, good luck. pretty much any set up other than stock and your fenders pretty much do nothing. once you start going wider and taller with your tire/wheel combinations it's almost as if your fender become non existent.

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #10 of 10 Old 03-28-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Well, I guess you could say it's a legal issue. Where I live the whole width of the tire must be covered by the fender, not just the thread. But I think I can get away with just covering the thread. I'm not too concerned about keeping debris from the Jeep.

2015 JK Unlimited Sahara Diesel
Anvil
No mods yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode