Method Race Wheels - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-21-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Method Race Wheels

Just got my 35s mounted on my new Method Race Wheels (MR305).

Anyone else get a centering ring with their Methods? Or were they hub centric?
Heard from a friend that has 105s that his were hub centric.

Right now with the wheel mounted up, there is a gap between the hub and the center bore in the rim.

On all my other cars with OEM and aftermarket wheels, they have all come with some form of centering ring to make them hub centric.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-21-2015, 04:03 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

My AE 012's are not hub centric, they're lug centric. As long as you keep your lugs torqued properly, it won't matter much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-21-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
My AE 012's are not hub centric, they're lug centric. As long as you keep your lugs torqued properly, it won't matter much.
What type lug nuts did you go with or did they come with some?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-21-2015, 06:53 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Acorn, I would imagine the Method wheels would be the same...

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-22-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Grabbed an acorn style one I had laying around. Going to have to go with one of those splined type. Not enough room to get a socket on unless it was thin walled. Even then it might be too tight.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-22-2015, 06:23 PM
Granite Guru

I you drive off road frequently you would be well-served to get the adapters.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-22-2015, 08:07 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

He is probably going to have a bitch of a time, my AE 012's are something around 100mm and the Jeep hub is 71.5mm. That is a huge hubcentric ring. When I got my wheels I looked for one, never did find one and just gave up. The Method is 94mm, so he could probably have some made if it was a huge concern.

Quote:

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 03-22-2015 at 08:17 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-23-2015, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
I you drive off road frequently you would be well-served to get the adapters.
Yeah, that is my thoughts exactly. It does go off-road more than hit the mall.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-23-2015, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
He is probably going to have a bitch of a time, my AE 012's are something around 100mm and the Jeep hub is 71.5mm. That is a huge hubcentric ring. When I got my wheels I looked for one, never did find one and just gave up. The Method is 94mm, so he could probably have some made if it was a huge concern.

Here is what sort of gap I am looking at:

post #10 of 17 Old 03-23-2015, 02:45 PM
JKowners Vendor

Like noted earlier, the Method NV (5-127] has an 94mm center bore diameter and to the best of my knowledge no manufacturers produce a hub centric ring in this outer diameter (94-71.5). This is actually a moot point though as the NV utilizes a push through center cap so hub centric rings can not be used. With push through caps, the hub centric ring can not sit flush with the mounting pad.

For more details on hub centric rings check out this write-up we put together: http://thesquealingtire.com/hub-centric-rings-defined/

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 17 Old 03-24-2015, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Heard back from Method as well. These are a lug centric wheel. Will just make sure to keep a torque wrench with me and keep them torqued or at least check them from time to time.

And thanks for the link.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-24-2015, 06:25 PM
Granite Guru

That is too bad because that's a nice looking wheel.

As you said just make sure the lug nuts are torqued specially before and after heavy wheelin'.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

so , I thought I knew a little about wheels & the subject of hub centricity where JKs were concerned until I heard all of this . Purely from an under informed knowledge on this subject , why do my cheapy StrV ( strike V s) from DesertRat buying thru Level8 , are spot on hub centric and a purportedly higher end brand -I was considering possibly buying soon , cannot have the correct sized for hub cntrc?. If they don't cut one in the size required for the OEM hub dimension , why let it be sold for the rig? That could be pretty dangerous if op doesn't keep the torque perfect on those , correct?
thanks , I just had some Tn. trail rattle a few L.Pssgr lugs loose and my rotor was allowing tire and hub to the rotor clunking against the lugs when I first went D or reversed into R and visa versa itd go,"CLUNK" . this big of a dependency upon lugnuts is worrisome is all. op safety is main reason I ask .edukatezmeplz

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 03-25-2015 at 05:08 PM.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-25-2015, 05:35 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Lug centric is no big deal, you do realize it's the relationship between the clamping forces between the back of the wheel and the hub face that keeps the wheel on and not the position. The hubcentric nature of some wheels only aids in installation, not much else.

Quote:
post #15 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

yes, I understood the clamp force but as far as the centering I thought that the hub centric ring matching the wheels diameter assisted with the assembly being apt to contend with the rigures of off road demands or racing , etc...not to mention better balance tendencies . I fully grasp( pun intended) that the force of the wheel being clamped down upon the hub assembly should suffice but I've just always thought the added hub ring tightly fit against the wheel inner diameter was an asset and prefered .
OP : listen to these guys and have a torque wrench and 21mm deep socket in cargo area w/ ya at all times ....( my gorilla nut acorns are 21mm and the lock socket requires the same size) & it sounds as if you're in good shape ...

post #16 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

All mounted and tested out.

post #17 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
yes, I understood the clamp force but as far as the centering I thought that the hub centric ring matching the wheels diameter assisted with the assembly being apt to contend with the rigures of off road demands or racing , etc...not to mention better balance tendencies . I fully grasp( pun intended) that the force of the wheel being clamped down upon the hub assembly should suffice but I've just always thought the added hub ring tightly fit against the wheel inner diameter was an asset and prefered .
OP : listen to these guys and have a torque wrench and 21mm deep socket in cargo area w/ ya at all times ....( my gorilla nut acorns are 21mm and the lock socket requires the same size) & it sounds as if you're in good shape ...
You are right the hub ring is a much better choice when available for handling the normal forces than the lugs should the lugs nuts loosen. As long as the lug nuts are torqued enough to resist slippage during off round pounding the lug centric will work well enough. But they are not the best option. The challenge is hub diameters are all over the map, so producing hub centric rims would force the rim manufacturers to produce an ever growing matrix of application specific wheels which drives up cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode