35x12.5r17 MT ATZs and AEV Pintlers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-11-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

35x12.5r17 MT ATZs and AEV Pintlers

Anyone running this combo? I came across a deal to good to pass up (no matter how much the wife got upset about it) I was able to buy 4 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's (original design) with just under 5000 miles for $450 bucks! My questions are since I plan on selling the stock rubicon tires, can I run the 35s on the stock rubicon suspension until I buy my lift from Marcus? I of course wouldn't take it offroad until the lift was on, I was just thinking it might be easier to sell the rubicon tires if they're already unmounted ready to go. If they'll rub to bad no biggie, Ill just throw them in the building out back until I get my lift but Id still like to see pics of unlimited's with these tires in the 35" variety with stock - 3.5" of lift, preferably with a 2.5" RK stock mod. TIA

Edit: keep in mind I have AEV wheels with less backspacing than stock rubicon wheels just thought I'd throw that out there again don't know if that makes a big difference or not

'12 JKU Rubicon | RK 2.5" Stock Mod w/ .5" TeraFlex Spacers | Bilsteins 5100s | 4.10s | AEV Pintlers | 35x12.5R17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs | Rancho Drop Brackets | Superchips FlashPAQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-11-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Also I did search, none of the previous threads discussed stock/ non lifted rubicons with AEV wheels which have less backspacing than the factory rubicon wheel

'12 JKU Rubicon | RK 2.5" Stock Mod w/ .5" TeraFlex Spacers | Bilsteins 5100s | 4.10s | AEV Pintlers | 35x12.5R17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs | Rancho Drop Brackets | Superchips FlashPAQ
post #3 of 11 Old 03-12-2015, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

don't everyone all reply at once...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Granite Guru

You might be OK with turning clearance, but will rub the fenders real bad if you just flex it a bit.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-12-2015, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyjfm View Post
You might be OK with turning clearance, but will rub the fenders real bad if you just flex it a bit.
Gotcha, ill just wait till i get the lift, don't wanna cut these tires all up, specially since they're changed to a not as nice looking design now

post #6 of 11 Old 03-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Granite Guru

Part of it depends on which specific stock coils you have since there can be as much as 1.5-2" difference in ride height depending on the stock coils. The 35" ATZ's may rub when you turn and will rub if you fully cycle the suspension but if it's for a short period and you stay on the road and out of potholes it should work.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-12-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No problem, just talked to Marcus and went ahead and ordered the RK 2.5" Stock Mod w/ bilsteins so it def shouldn't rub now

Another thing, how many of you are trimming your rubicon rock rails with this lift or is it not needed, I've also read about guys cutting/ trimming the pinch weld but if I don't absolutely have to do it I'd rather not but I don't mind trimming the rails

post #8 of 11 Old 03-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Granite Guru

I cut both our rock rails and pinch seam. I guess you don't have to, but it was way to close for comfort for me. Now I can drive it and flex it and not worry about that.

Install the lift and tires and flex it out while someone is keeping an eye on it. If you clear it with an inch or more, then you should be good to go.

Congrats on the lift and tires, enjoy the Jeep.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-12-2015, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What size lift do you have? Do you have pictures of how much you trimmed off your rails? Or pics of how close it was while flexing?

post #10 of 11 Old 03-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Granite Guru

We started with a Teraflex 2,5" Budget Boost and upgraded 2 years later 2 a 3,5" Metal Cloak lift. Trimmed about 1" off of the rubi rails and 45 degrees on the pinch seam. We now have the Poison Spyder rock rails so the rubi rails are off.

Don't know if I have any pictures of the original set-up but can get you some of the set-up now.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Granite Guru

If you're going to trim the pinch seam you might as well go all the way an trim it near flush with the wheel well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode