noob question about 33x12.5x15 load capacity - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-03-2015, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

noob question about 33x12.5x15 load capacity

hello,

i'm a newbie to the forum.
im in a 2011 unlimited sport with 17" oe wheels. wanted to go with a wider more aggresive tread.
after reading about 200 posts on the forum, i had decided to go with the 33"x12.5"x15 duratrac tire and wheel package from discount tire (i was thinking 15x8 mbtko 5x5) when i contacted the sales rep through the forum he told me that the stock tire carries a load capacity on 2,458 lbs and the 33" duratrac on 15" falls short at 2,205 lbs. i was told i could either move up to a 35" tire on 15" rim (requiring lift) or i would have to go with a 16" rim.
ive seen dozens of posts from unlimited sport owners runing the 33"x12.5" duratrac package. is there something im missing?
any information would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-03-2015, 05:27 AM
WINNAR!

Garage

Look at the door card to check the total weight of your vehicle. You need tires that support that weight. Years ago Jeep put load range E tires on TJ's. Just because Jeep did it doesn't mean it has to be that way.

Unfortunately, all the big tire chains are going to suggest OE applications. Never looked myself but I'd be interested in what your Jeep weighs.

Andy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-03-2015, 06:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKEY View Post
Look at the door card to check the total weight of your vehicle. You need tires that support that weight. Years ago Jeep put load range E tires on TJ's. Just because Jeep did it doesn't mean it has to be that way.

Unfortunately, all the big tire chains are going to suggest OE applications. Never looked myself but I'd be interested in what your Jeep weighs.

Exactly the case. Years ago my dad tried to put some d range on a f350. The place would not do it.

I personally run 33" on 15" wheels Duratracs. I have a 2 door which helps with weight. I have never had a problem with them.

2010 2 door manual sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Wheeler

I'm running the 33's DT's on a 15x9 KMC Enduros with no problems. Daily driver. 20 PSI for every day driving and 12 PSI when I'm in Moab.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-15-2015, 12:08 AM
Granite Guru

The thing to consider is the Gross Weight of the JK vs the Load Capacity of the tire. They JK has something like 51/49 weight distribution for 5000 GVWR so you can just divide the gross weight by 4 and add a safety factor. The other important thing to consider is that the load capacity changes with air pressure. Running the tires near the 30 PSI popular air pressure does not provide max load capacity.

It doesn't matter what others do. What matters is what is safe and what you are comfortable with.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-15-2015, 05:09 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000ft View Post
I'm running the 33's DT's on a 15x9 KMC Enduros with no problems. Daily driver. 20 PSI for every day driving and 12 PSI when I'm in Moab.
20PSI seems awfully low for street driving. Are they a bit squirrelly? Seems like they would be pretty soft and wallowy at that pressure on the street.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-16-2015, 06:24 PM
Wheeler

I wouldn't want to run a slalom course on them but for what I am running them on they are just fine. A 5000 pound brick on wheels that is designed to go over and through just about anything.

If this was a Ferrari then yes they would definitely be squirlie.

I should add that I got almost 60,000 miles on my last set and they were not quite down to the warning strips yet.

Last edited by 8000ft; 03-16-2015 at 06:27 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Granite Guru

20 PSI is on the low side even for a C load range tire. It may appear to carry the load but spinning them at 70 MPH can cause them to overheat and damage them.
You are also going to get a lot of sidewall flex and excessive roll when you turn.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Granite Guru

I think some 15" wheels rub on the brake calipers. Better see if there is clearance before you go with 15's instead of 16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode