Trailready beadlock noob questions.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-06-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Trailready beadlock noob questions....

Do folks just install the angled metal valve stems that come with the wheels? Are these the same as the gorilla stems on Amazon?

I've never been a fan of metal valve stems on my street cars and can only imagine that the argument in favor of rubber valve stems is even more relavent on an off road vehicle.

Are there any rubber valve stems that fit the 7/16 hole? I couldn't find any online that are rubber but haven't actually been down to the local,parts store either.

Can TPMS be retained? Maybe gorilla glue the sensor to the inside of the rim?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 PM

The valve stem that comes with them works fine, i've run them on 6 different sets of TR wheels, from JK to Buggy. If you want to retain TPMS, you can buy new rubber stems $4ea, (link below). They will work with your TPM sensors(assuming 2013, older models have different TPS), and should fit the wheel, but they will be straight instead of angled like the TR supplied valve stems. You can also use a large size hose clamp and band the sensor to the inside of the wheel.

There's always a chance of damaging the sensor when aired down aswell, if that's a concern.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...zoneAssigned=1

Last edited by Whitey; 02-06-2015 at 08:12 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-06-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Cool. Thanks. I mistakenly just bought the oem shraeder brand replacement kits on Amazon. Wrong size for the TR.

Edit: I've run the stock rubi wheels with 37s down to 7 psi and haven't busted one yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-06-2015, 09:47 PM

If you haven't already bought your wheels, you could ask Trailready to drill the hole smaller for you. The stems i linked to are the same as OEM, i was going to use them on mine. If you don't think oem stems would fit, then maybe they wont work.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Random Dude

My TrailReady's came with a standard valve stem hole. Not aware of any other options.

I hucked the supplied chromies to the back of a storage shelf and installed new TPMS valve stems like Whitey's picture - worked perfectly.

Because of the angle and location of the valve stem hole in the TR's, I don't think it's possible to damage the sensors when aired down unless you go flat and set down on the sensor, assuming you have the screw-on sensors that use the stem like Whitey's picture. I think the older JKs used the flag-style TMPS sensor, and these could be vulnerable. Your rig is newer than my 2010, so you should be good to go!

EDIT: buy short TPMS valve stems - they'll work perfectly with your slim rock rings.
I used Schrader 20018. If these fit your sensors, I guarantee they're the best choice.

EDIT 2: Just checked Whitey's link, looks like it's for the short stems - that's what you want.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 02-06-2015 at 10:47 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-07-2015, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

That is exactly what I have, a bunch of shraeder 20018 rebuild kits. The hole in the wheel is 7/16, which is a bit smaller than the valve stems. Haven't tried to pull one through with my 80's vintage puller.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-07-2015, 01:25 AM
Rock God

Ditched the chromes and went with some short ones from the auto parts store, without the sensors.

Used my Flashpaq to set the tire sensor down to 0 lbs.

No issues with the light or chime when airing down
post #8 of 12 Old 02-07-2015, 02:15 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
That is exactly what I have, a bunch of shraeder 20018 rebuild kits. The hole in the wheel is 7/16, which is a bit smaller than the valve stems. Haven't tried to pull one through with my 80's vintage puller.
I'm pretty sure my valve stem holes are the same size, bordering on ridiculously tight.
Suggest parking the vintage puller to avoid dinging the shit out of your shiny new toys via the chitload of force required.

Here's what I did:
  1. Remove or leave off the sensors and retaining screws from the new valve stems
  2. Lube the stems well
  3. Push or pull the stems as far as they will go into the holes easily
  4. Use a large, softer-than-brass object (e.g., Snap-On screwdriver handle) to push the stem home from the bottom
The brass core is only attached to the rubber up near the threads, so pushing on the bottom is the same as pulling on the top.
You're stretching the rubber part of the valve stem, which shrinks its diameter, and that bastard should seat perfectly before it tears apart.
Afterward, it fits better than OJ's gloves did

I might have slightly chamfered the lead-in edge on the valve stem holes, or I might have just thought about it - that memory's been overwritten.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #9 of 12 Old 02-07-2015, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I'm wondering if a micro fiber towel and a small block of wood would make ye olde valve stem tool work well.

I've never seen a TPMS sensor up close yet and saw that the service kits were keyed when I got them. I was curious about that so searched so I could get a glimpse of the device since mine are still in the wheels. I found this video by schraeder.

http://youtu.be/KAjn3wmdwck

Last edited by White13JKUR; 02-07-2015 at 03:17 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Wheeler

backspacing

What backspacing are your Trailready wheels ?? OEM axles ???

What bolt pattern ?? 5 on 5 or 5 on 5.5 ??
post #11 of 12 Old 04-10-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

4" back spacing on stock rubi axles. 5x5 bolt pattern.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-10-2015, 12:27 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Goes without saying, but make sure you soap up the stem. My wheels came with crappy generic stems and I wanted to retain the TPMS, so I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Steelman-00040.../dp/B00GWFOPTO and installed the OE style TPMS stems from Dorman. There is no way I could have installed them without that tool and the soap. I wish I had measured the stem opening for comparison sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in