Please help! Ready to buy 35's. Guard Dog VS. AT2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-19-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Please help! Ready to buy 35's. Guard Dog VS. AT2

I'm trying to figure out what I would be happier with. I'm going to get 35's in either the Treadwright Guard dog https://www.treadwright.com/individu...315-75R16.00-D

or the General Grabber AT2 http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...5&rd=16&cs=315

Both are nearly the same price shipped to my door right now! Here's what I'm fighting with: Would the Guard Dogs perform noticeably better offroad?? The tread is a little more aggressive.

I have read a lot of reviews for both and I'm just wondering if the Grabber AT2's would be aggressive enough for me. Tires are my toughest choice!

AT2 pros - Lighter than Guard Dogs and quieter. Probably better in the rain.

Guard Dog pros - More aggressive, potentially tougher (depends on what carcass was used since they're retreads).

Would the Guard Dogs perform better offroad, enough so to compensate for their cons of being heavier and noisier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Granite Guru

Treadwrights are recaps. Lots of horror stories across the web of them coming apart on the road. If you read the highlights for those tires youll see theyre listed as offroad only.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-19-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep_06 View Post
Treadwrights are recaps. Lots of horror stories across the web of them coming apart on the road. If you read the highlights for those tires youll see theyre listed as offroad only.
I know I asked for help and I appreciate your reply. But from everything and anything I've read what you said is completely false. Recaps is not really a fair term either if you knew anything about their process. And they have no more failures than any name brand tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Granite Guru

post #5 of 9 Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I've read so many positive reviews including one from a magazine. A buddy ran a set of 37's up in Alaska with very low pressure off road and beat on them pretty good. They NDI the carcass's with Xray or something before remolding them.

I do know there's many more positive reviews than bad.

"The fact that they are made in the U.S.A. and meet Department of Transportation (DOT) retread requirements also really helps. Our tire shop made sure they had DOT numbers on them before they would even install them, it’s that important not only for the consumer but also the business owner"

One of those threads you linked said there was no DOT stamp or numbers. My big concern with what you linked for me is that those problems were recent. I noticed at least two of those were from 2014.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Rock God

I do not know if it is true but I read recently that Tread wright has taken a nose dive in quality and customer service. I was ready to get a set of 35's and then decided it was not worth the risk to me. It would be different if you lived next door and could deal with faulty tire that way vs getting someone on the phone who does not want to help you.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-20-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Kinda seems like that's what's going on.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Wheeler

Seems like these issues have started after they moved to their Texas facility. I believe when they were in South Dakota they had different owners as well but don't quote me on that.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-20-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

This sucks. They use to get such good reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode