Need wheel & tire advice - '14 Rubi w/ 3.5" lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-12-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Need wheel & tire advice - '14 Rubi w/ 3.5" lift

Hello all - I've searched the forum, but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm getting ready to lift my '14 Rubi Unlimited. I'm pretty sure I'm going with MetalCloak GameChanger 3.5", but RK is still in the running. Either way, I'm not an expert on tires and wheels and need to make sure I pair up the right stuff.

With this rig and this lift, and a desire to run 35" tires, what wheels and tires should I consider? I know I need a backspace of no greater than 4.5", but not sure about offset or even rim size. Some say 17x9, others say 16 for a larger sidewall for airing down.

This is my daily driver, but I also tackle serious trails on weekends. Not really hard-core rock crawling (I'm not interested in breaking my rig!) but I do want to get where I need to go!

Advice, please! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-12-2014, 10:33 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merito View Post
Hello all - I've searched the forum, but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm getting ready to lift my '14 Rubi Unlimited. I'm pretty sure I'm going with MetalCloak GameChanger 3.5", but RK is still in the running. Either way, I'm not an expert on tires and wheels and need to make sure I pair up the right stuff.

With this rig and this lift, and a desire to run 35" tires, what wheels and tires should I consider? I know I need a backspace of no greater than 4.5", but not sure about offset or even rim size. Some say 17x9, others say 16 for a larger sidewall for airing down.

This is my daily driver, but I also tackle serious trails on weekends. Not really hard-core rock crawling (I'm not interested in breaking my rig!) but I do want to get where I need to go!

Advice, please! Thanks in advance.
Stick with 17s because you will have far more choices for tires.

Back spacing and offset are the same things in different terms. 4.0 - 4.75" back spacing will work just fine for your setup.

Fuel Offroad makes a LOT of wheels for the JK that have 4.5" back spacing. The only thing to pay attention to on offset is that it is negative. Don't get too worked up about the difference between offset and back spacing, but I'll explain it.

A 17 x 9 wheel with -12MM offset would have 4.5" back spacing. Here's how that works:

9 + 1 = 10 / 2 = 5 - 12mm (.5") = 4.5" Back Spacing

alternatively:

17 x 8.5 w/6mm offset:

8.5 + 1 = 9.5 / 2 = 4.75 = 4.5" Back Spacing

Hope that helps and welcome to JKO!

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 12-12-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, River City Offroad! That is very helpful. I've read SEVERAL explanations of offset, and yours is the first that made it very clear for me. Backspace made sense, but nobody else explained how they were related. Thank you again.

One question: why do you add 1 to the rim width when calculating this? And does this imply that backspace is always half of rim width + 1 (assuming offset is zero)?

Thanks also for the welcome to JKO! I met Bill (DesertJeep, I think) at the American Adventurist T4T campout last weekend, and he encouraged me to register.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-12-2014, 06:40 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merito View Post
Thank you, River City Offroad! That is very helpful. I've read SEVERAL explanations of offset, and yours is the first that made it very clear for me. Backspace made sense, but nobody else explained how they were related. Thank you again.

One question: why do you add 1 to the rim width when calculating this? And does this imply that backspace is always half of rim width + 1 (assuming offset is zero)?

Thanks also for the welcome to JKO! I met Bill (DesertJeep, I think) at the American Adventurist T4T campout last weekend, and he encouraged me to register.
There is generally 1/2" of metal outside of the tire mounting surface, so you add 1" back to the wheel to get a real back spacing number. At least that's how I've understood it. Ha ha!

post #5 of 5 Old 12-13-2014, 08:48 AM
JKowners Vendor

RCO is right, you have to account for the wheel flange which is why you add 1" to the rim width.

Details: Backspace and Offset - How do they relate?

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode