Help with decision that has limited options - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-10-2014, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
If you've run MTs over 35" on 16's , you're advice is sought...

I Will be acquiring new meats for the 4 door '11 I have currently running 35" x 12.50 x 16 Cooper STTs and I've built my rig under the impression that I could move up to the same STT in a 325/80r16 that Cooper just confirmed for me that they no longer produce.

I am going larger than a 315 or 35" w/in next few months as I not only drive 20 miles per day to work in her , but I wheel the rig hard (about 3 times per month so i've encountered many situations where the need for a bit more clearance is justified.

I am torn between what little (we all know )is available for over 35" size MTs for 16" x 8.5-10" x 4.50" BS wheels ; it doesn't help that I like the 16" size + the level 8's STR 5s I have only weigh 21lbs each ...I am kinda"weight OCD" re: my JK ....

With all this being said I find that there's :

37x13.00x16LT MT TTC Radials [37"]

There's a BFG KM2 in a 345/75r16 [ 36.48"] ( my main choice at this time )size.

Interco has the ND IROK radial in 36.xx" ( I don't like how skinny these seem to look )

and lastly ,the one that is least street friendly ( but that I really would like to run ), Maxxis' Creepy Crawler in a 37x12.50.16 [36.6"]

I take trips of about 500 miles round trip to Georgia from Nashville several times per year ( also driving to wherever I am wheeling each weekend and this seems likely to accelerate the wear on the Maxxis' soft rubber compound ...maybe I am incorrect)?

I have much sharp granite /limestone and roots where I wheel [ Adventure Off Road Park, Wooly's , Beasley Knob , Turkey Bay, Windrock] & the stout "E" rated Coopers have save my sidewall countless times .

my greatest concern w/ the (stupid expensive ) BFGs is that compared w/ the STTs I currently have,, they'll have a weaker sidewall & it doesnt appear that they have an rim protector/rim guard at the bead ( i typically air-down to between 8-14PSI then DD at between 28.5psi to 31psi depending on conditions/distance/speed and the Coopers really handle the variances well).

To make the decision even tougher, if I did go BFG in a larger size, I would actually LOSE 6lbs per tire/wheel combo ( STTs are 84lbs and the larger BFGs would be 77lbs )! That is 30 lbs if you consider the spare....no small amount in a piggy JKU.

Am I missing any other 16 inch MT options that are avail in over 35" in size?

If any of you can provide some feedback on this sized (345/75r16) KM2 & it's strength, how the Maxxis would wear from experience, or if the Mickey T's are gonna be worn and a waste of money since they are directional (I 5 tire rotate every 2500miles) , I would really appreciate some help 'cause tires sure as heck aint cheap.

Thanks!
[you can see I am cleared for a few more inches of rubber on my girl ....sux they stopped makin that bigger STT for 16" wheels!]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-10-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: re-worded/re-titled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Granite Guru

Toyo makes 385/70r16 -- basically a 38x14.5. It might take some additional work to make them fit though. I'm running the same size Goodyear on 3" of lift, 1.25" bodylift, flat fenders, and quite a bit of cutting but I don't rub anywhere but the frame at full lock.

2009 Silver Unlimited Rubicon -- Not really stock, anymore.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-11-2014, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
Toyo makes 385/70r16 -- basically a 38x14.5. It might take some additional work to make them fit though. I'm running the same size Goodyear on 3" of lift, 1.25" bodylift, flat fenders, and quite a bit of cutting but I don't rub anywhere but the frame at full lock.

that helps, SofaKing; I appreciate it very much.
I will look at those ; as a DD/crawler hybrid I might be pushing the boundaries of the dual functionality I'm striving for with a 14.50" wide & 38"er ....

Ill betcha that size Toyo (fabulous tires) comes in at well over 90lbs? Plus, I am not keen on body-lifts for the unlimited JKs....i shoulda mentioned I am only on 4.11s - this is important and why the BFGs in the 345/75r16s are so appealing - I would be losing weight total by going to a larger tire - until this time next year when Ill move to 5.13s...
'preciate your input

< here is that same size in a Mickey Thompson...geezus! Just a bit too wide for daily driving!
>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-11-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

Here's a pic of my GY's. Yes, they're wide. I was origianlly on 4.88's but recently regeared to 5.38's and that helped a lot. Not sure what the 38" Toyo's weigh, but my 37" toyos on racelines weighed over 120 lbs each.

2009 Silver Unlimited Rubicon -- Not really stock, anymore.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-12-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post

Here's a pic of my GY's. Yes, they're wide. I was origianlly on 4.88's but recently regeared to 5.38's and that helped a lot. Not sure what the 38" Toyo's weigh, but my 37" toyos on racelines weighed over 120 lbs each.
wow; that is a nice looking rig, man. Thanks for the weight info. I am just at 105lbs per wheel&tire weight for my present 'E' rated 35" STTs . If I goto the (36.4-ish") "37" inch 345/75r16 BFGs KM2s , they would be only 77lbs apiece + 21lb wheel = 98lbs. Not often can we go to a larger tire and lose weight! that is why I am concerned about the strength of the BFGs sidewall; everything seems right about them , other than they are costly. I am gonna give them a shot. thanks again.

post #6 of 11 Old 12-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Granite Guru

Good luck. Post up pics when you get them mounted up.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Granite Guru

I hate the weight of my Toyos. I will not be buying them again just because of it. BTW, I liked my Pro Comp xtreme mts, much better all the way around.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-13-2014, 05:19 AM
Rock God

To me, having a tire that best suits my needs takes priority over the appearance of my wheels. It's easier to find a wheel that looks good than it is to pick the best suited tire out of a VERY limited selection of tires. I would get a wheel size with better choices in tires before I stuck myself with another set of BFG KM2's. I hated them by 3/4 tread and replaced them by 1/2 tread.

I do understand your dilemma though.

From the choices you list, I would lean toward the IROK ND or the Mickey Thompson TTC Radial.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-13-2014, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SLADE- View Post
To me, having a tire that best suits my needs takes priority over the appearance of my wheels. It's easier to find a wheel that looks good than it is to pick the best suited tire out of a VERY limited selection of tires. I would get a wheel size with better choices in tires before I stuck myself with another set of BFG KM2's. I hated them by 3/4 tread and replaced them by 1/2 tread.

I do understand your dilemma though.

From the choices you list, I would lean toward the IROK ND or the Mickey Thompson TTC Radial
thnks, SLADE ; useful input , as well. I have no liking for the lack of a rim protector that I see is evident on the BFGs and when I air down, that is important. I am usually at 8-12PSI on non beadlocks and on some of the rock ledges I climb, the rims would cut thru a tire without this reinforcement.[ see image below] I wish the TTC wasnt directional. I , too, am now leaning towards the ND Irok. I wonder if Pitbull Rocker Radials come in a 315/75r16? hmm....

here you can see the rim guard thickness being put to use in manner I was speaking about

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-13-2014 at 08:59 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Wheeler

Where have you seen the Mickey Thompson TTC Radials in 37x13.00r16? I didn't see that size on their website...but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-15-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

I am now under impression that (gulp) Quadratec has a typo ( who'd believe that could occur?) on their XMas catalog ...MT homepage did not list that size ...silly Quadratec , Jeeps are for responsible folks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode