Need help with tire sizing, wheels picked out - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-20-2014, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Need help with tire sizing, wheels picked out

I'm looking for a good set of snow tires to fit on a stock suspension 2014 jk unlimited. I'm pretty set on these 17x9 http://www.quadratec.com/products/92600_0009_07.htm

What is the largest tire I can fit on this 17x9 wheel with stock ride height? More of a daily driver than a crawler.

thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-20-2014, 07:39 AM
Rock God

A 9" wide wheel is too wide in my opinion for a stock height jeep especially if your looking for snow tires. I wouldn't want to put less than a 12.50 wide tire on a 9" wide wheel. A 12.50 wide tire is going to put you in the 33" tall range. With only 4.25" BS on a 9" wide wheel and a 33x12.50 or equivalent you will most likely/ may run into clearance issues with stock flares. Flat flares would eliminate the tire clearance issues though.

For stock height/ snow tire, I think a 285/70R17 on an 8" wide wheel with 4.5"-5" back spacing would be a better combination than a 33x12.50 on a 9" wheel with 4.25" backspacing.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-24-2014, 03:00 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14jkaltitude View Post
I'm looking for a good set of snow tires to fit on a stock suspension 2014 jk unlimited. I'm pretty set on these 17x9 http://www.quadratec.com/products/92600_0009_07.htm

What is the largest tire I can fit on this 17x9 wheel with stock ride height? More of a daily driver than a crawler.

thanks, Mike
Steel wheels are hit and miss in terms of fitting. They tend to hit the Jk brake calipers unless you do some grinding or install wheel spacers (neither are recommended by Discount Tire).

If you are looking for a budget winter wheel and tire package I'd recommend looking into a 16" wheel and tire package. 16" tires and wheels tend to be a little cheaper and if you purchase an alloy wheel they'll also be lighter weight and will fit without any issues.

With stock suspension and 16" wheels a 285/75R16 is a great size to consider, in 17" 285/70R17 is also a great size. Any larger than that and you'll need to install a leveling kit, mini lift or cut your fenders.

Stop by one of our local Discount Tire or America's Tire stores if you have one near you. If not, give us a ring at 1.888.459.4080. Anyone here would be happy to help you. We have some great Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals coming up as well so be sure to ask about them.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 11-24-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2014, 03:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have always used Discount Tire. They have ordered my Procomp wheels in the size and BS I needed. They have always price matched and given me great service. Nothing but good things to say about their business.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-24-2014, 03:08 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
I have always used Discount Tire. They have ordered my Procomp wheels in the size and BS I needed. They have always price matched and given me great service. Nothing but good things to say about their business.
Thank you for your business and thank you for the kind words. We'll keep working hard for you.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode