bigger brakes=happy wife - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-05-2014, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

bigger brakes=happy wife

my wife is complainint about trying to stop the 2013 jeep jku with 35;s and a 4 lift whar bigger/better brakes has anyone installed all I have been finding is 1 inch bigger front rotors and same size as stock rears with stock brake pads and calipers they just give you a spacer to rebolt your stock caliper I have seen a willwood brake kit but not interested in spening 1300.00 on front brakes.Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-05-2014, 07:04 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

There was some buzz that there were quite a few new BBK options revealed at SEMA this year, no details yet. Replacing the stock stuff with slotted/cross drilled would make a marked improvement. Slotting and venting allows for far less brake fade which happens due to heat. Trying to slow down a 7-8k lb vehicle with huge rolling mass generates a lot of heat. When the time comes i'll just go with better pads and upgraded rotors with additional cooling benefits.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...oModClar=Sport

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...oModClar=Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 11-05-2014 at 07:08 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-05-2014, 07:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It isn't anything money can't fix.

Definitely takes a lot more pressure on the pedal than my wife's Grand Cherokee.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5 of 8 Old 11-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Rock God

Also take a look at the Dynatrac ProGRIP.

Just released at SEMA.

https://www.facebook.com/Dynatrac
post #6 of 8 Old 11-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descent View Post
Also take a look at the Dynatrac ProGRIP.

Just released at SEMA.

https://www.facebook.com/Dynatrac
I am going to keep my eye on this kit, it looks very interesting. If the OE calipers are retained I wonder if the Dynatrac and OE pads are interchangable.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-08-2014, 11:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

Improving the braking power on any vehicle, the big three are...
1. Tires
2. Pads
3. Rotors

You didn't specify what tires your wife has on her jeep. Is it an A/T, M/T, street tire?

Since tire change is unlikely, get yourself a good set of pads. I don't mean the parts store special, I'm talking either Hawk (LTS or HPS) or EBC (red or yellow) pads.

Since we are talking about a jeep, you're not going to have repeated hard braking events, so I would skip the slotted/cross drilled. If you decide you want "bling", get the rotors where the drilled areas are chamfered to keep the hole from cracking. The rotors that autox/road course guys use are napa gold blank rotors. They seem to have good luck with them.

Okay, so you have installed your upgraded pads and rotors, but you're not finished. Find a road that isn't busy and where you can do the following.
1. Get your jeep up to 40mph
2. Stand on the brakes until 5mph
3. Repeat 5 times.
4. Get your jeep up to 70mph
5. Stand on the brakes until 20mph
6. Repeat 3 times
7. Drive to cool the brakes and where you do not have to touch the brakes for the next 10-ish minutes.

You now have embedded the brake material onto the rotor. This helps with stopping power and decreases stopping distance. This might be enough to satisfy your wife.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

With a friends advice I went for terraflex big rotors front(not the big brake kit) , power slot rotors rear, and ebc green pads.
I'm lucky enough to have two four doors for comparison .
With these installed, mine on 37s out braked the wife's which was on stock rubbers.

Unspoilt by progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode