Maxxis Buckshot Tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Maxxis Buckshot Tires

I am looking for opinions on the Maxxis Buckshot mudder tires. I see them for $233 at NTW for 35x12.5x17 so I am very curious. I was looking at Cooper ST Maxx and some Mickey Thompson's, but Buckshots are so much cheaper!

I am in Michigan, so snow performance is a small issue. The tread looks to me like wet/snow will not be very good due to lack of sipes. Road noise is a minor issue to me.
What do y'all think?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Granite Guru

ran a set of 31" maxxis buckshots on a 84 Nissan 720. excellent set of tires under that truck. typical MT road noise, cleaned out well, balanced well, were actually really impressive in the snow (I was living in Cleveland at the time...lots of lake effect snow.) those were under a fairly light truck though. same time I had those, a buddy had a set under a 3/4 ton cummins and didn't like them. complained they wore out quick and they didn't want to hook up in the dirt...again under a cummins so take it with a grain of salt. I cant say anything really bad about them from my experience.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-04-2015, 01:06 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I ran a set of Buckshots on my last truck, 2002 GMC HD Sierra. they did very well in dirt and mud and surprisingly well on wet roads. the only thing I did not like about them was how fast they wore but that was on a 3/4 ton truck. they would probably last a little longer on a Jeep. I don't believe they make a 35"x12.50" tire for a 17" rim though or at least they didn't have any on their website last time I looked. they do make a metric tire that measures 34" tall though.

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's

Last edited by CamoCop; 01-04-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Granite Guru

I have ran several sets of the Maxxis Buckshot Mudders (and the XMT flavor which looks like the same tread, but more sidewall tread...good luck finding them on the internet). The current set of XMT's have 40K+ miles on them and still have decent tread on them. I utilize a 5 tire rotation so the actual mileage for each tires is lower.

I have been impressed with their traction offroad and on dry pavement. Wet roads and snow leave something to be desired. I partially blame the poor wet performance on the age of the tires. I bought them online and when they arrived, they were already several years old, fast forward 4 years and they are older and less grippy! Previous Buckshot's on my Liberty did not have this problem.

Just as a FYI, Maxxis tires are made in China, and my next set of tires will be the Cooper SST/Max, which is made in Ohio.

2008 Rubicon
Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper w/Warn XD9000i
315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx, No Lift
Superchips Flashpaq
Flow Daddy Headers
Gibson Dual Exhaust
post #5 of 6 Old 01-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Wheeler

SSSHhhh.....

They are the best kept secret in offroading.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-27-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Buckshots

Thanks guys I ended with Goodyear Fierce Attitudes because price at Discount Tire online was way too good to pass up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode