Grabber AT2 vs. Dynapro MT - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-14-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Grabber AT2 vs. Dynapro MT

I don't have experience with either tire. I have read reviews and choosing tires is always my toughest choice. Haven't made up my mind about a locker but I do have 4.56's in the garage.

Same size tires and within $22 of each other for all 5 out the door.

295/75R16

General Grabber AT2

OR

Hankook Dynapro MT

The hankooks are 9 lbs heavier per tire than the generals. My Jeep is a DD and trail runner/expedition/overland. I also have hopes of running the Rubicon. I have played with different wheel weights and landed on a set of cheap OEM 16" aluminum sport wheels, so weight plays a role. 9 lbs per tire is significant. So I'm leaning toward the Grabbers, I'm just worried they'll let me down. And the damn Hankooks won Fourwheeler's mud tire shootout somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Rock God

I don't have any experience with the Hankooks, but my cousin had the Grabber AT2s on his Grand Cherokee for a while. It was an all-wheel drive version (not 4WD, it was full time). They were very good in my opinion. They did wear a little fast, but it wasn't bad at all considering he was young and wild at the time and was very hard on them (his was the V8 Cherokee and it wasn't uncommon for him to spin the tires, despite the AWD). They had decent traction off road and seemed to do well on the road.

I can't say they are world class tires, but they seemed very good for the price. We called them discount BFG ATs. They have somewhat similar look and perform ok, for much less money (at the time, I don't know what they go for now).

Just my limited experience with them. Of the two I'd go with the Grabbers, only because I've had at least some experience with them and they were good. Doesn't mean the Hankooks are bad (for all I know they are better), but I have no experience with them.

Last edited by BigTB; 10-14-2014 at 02:50 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Granite Guru

DTD just delivered the General Grabber ATs last night so I can't speak to their longevity. While lighter than most 35" tires I looked at, they are by no means a lightweight tire. My first driving impression was they feel lighter than they are, I guess due to the less agressive AT tread compared to the more agressive AT tread of the Duratracs I had been running. Even though these are 315/75/16, basically 35x12.5x16 tires, seems like it takes less to get them rolling and they ride better than the 33" Duratracs. That was a pleasant suprise. I looked long and hard at what to get in a 35" tire. An AT tread for better ride and MPG and at least a D rated tire but not too heavy. Was looking at the Cooper ATs as well, but the Grabbers seem to fill the bill well, and at a nice weight and $$ savings over the Coopers.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by soonerfan85; 11-04-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-04-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan85 View Post

DTD just delivered the General Grabber ATs last night so I can't speak to their longevity. While lighter than most 35" tires I looked at, they are by no means a lightweight tire. My first driving impression was they feel lighter than they are, I guess due to the less agressive AT tread compared to the more agressive AT tread of the Duratracs I had been running. Even though these are 315/75/16, basically 35x12.5x16 tires, seems like it takes less to get them rolling and they ride better than the 33" Duratracs. That was a pleasant suprise. I looked long and hard at what to get in a 35" tire. An AT tread for better ride and MPG and at least a D rated tire but not too heavy. Was looking at the Cooper ATs as well, but the Grabbers seem to fill the bill well, and at a nice weight and $$ savings over the Coopers.
Thanks for the review and input!
post #5 of 9 Old 11-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

Drove fully loaded Jeep (4 adults and one child+ gear) about 400 miles this weekend on the new AT2s and have to say I'm impressed by their grip on wet roads and the quiet ride, but man do they feel stiff after running the softer Duratrac 33s. I'm sure the new lift and below freezing temps had more than a little to do with the ride quality. I'm running minimum 35psi as set by DTD. The tires look a lot better on the Jeep than in the DTD pics.

Funny I just noticed the specs for the AT2s on TireRack's site shows the 315/75/16 (D load rated) as snow rated with a 12.3" sectional width and 11" tread width, while the 35x12.5x15 AT2 (C load rated) shows it as NOT snow rated with 12.5 sectional width but just 9.7" tread width. Riding in the back seat was not my idea of a fun time as you felt every bump in the road.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-20-2014, 12:57 PM
JKowners Vendor

soonerfan, thanks for your support and for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 Old 11-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Wheeler

I have the Dyna Pro MT on my 2014 Rubicon in 315/70R17 on mounted on OE wheels. Before I bought them I did a ton of research on them and found them to be a very good wearing tire as I found tons of info on them over on a Ram Forum. I haven't aired them down yet but my daily driving the tire have been great. They will be a tad louder than an AT style tire going down the road but I know they will preform better once off road.

Edit: I too bought my tires from Discount Tire and couldn't beat the deal I received from them and their customer service is top notch.

Last edited by MYJK!; 11-23-2014 at 08:04 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYJK! View Post
I have the Dyna Pro MT on my 2014 Rubicon in 315/70R17 on mounted on OE wheels. Before I bought them I did a ton of research on them and found them to be a very good wearing tire as I found tons of info on them over on a Ram Forum. I haven't aired them down yet but my daily driving the tire have been great. They will be a tad louder than an AT style tire going down the road but I know they will preform better once off road.

Edit: I too bought my tires from Discount Tire and couldn't beat the deal I received from them and their customer service is top notch.
Old post, i know, but would you have a link to that forum? I'm strongly considering these tires but haven't found much in the way of reviews.

08 JKUR

Just an asshole with a Jeep....

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
post #9 of 9 Old 08-19-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Old post, i know, but would you have a link to that forum? I'm strongly considering these tires but haven't found much in the way of reviews.
I have 17k on my Dynapros and have been really impressed. 315/70/17s. They are especially good in winter. Plenty of traction. Definitely would recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode