BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 - Page 5 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 121 Old 11-15-2016, 02:48 PM
Rock God

contact patch is 1" narrower than the STT and my mileage went up 1.5 mi/gal on the first run to my cabin (140 miles rd trip)...quiet.....of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 121 Old 11-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Wheeler

Just installed the BFG LT285/70/R17. They're E rated and factory recommended PSI is 80. The shop that installed them aired them up to 70 PSI and I'm getting bounced around in the drivers seat rolling down the road.

What's the recommended PSI for daily driver use that is safe and practical? Running a '16 JKU 4 door with no added weight yet.
post #103 of 121 Old 11-16-2016, 09:40 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
Just installed the BFG LT285/70/R17. They're E rated and factory recommended PSI is 80. The shop that installed them aired them up to 70 PSI and I'm getting bounced around in the drivers seat rolling down the road.

What's the recommended PSI for daily driver use that is safe and practical? Running a '16 JKU 4 door with no added weight yet.

Anywhere between 28 & 35 psi and you'll be good

EX-JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 121 Old 11-16-2016, 10:01 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmango View Post
Anywhere between 28 & 35 psi and you'll be good
Thanks - and they wont get too hot or wear unusually? I'm just concerned because the recommended is 80 psi. I know that there is a lot less weight on the tires because it's a JKU so I'll never be near the max load, but I just want to be sure that running at 35 psi is not going to cause tire failure or unusual wear
post #105 of 121 Old 11-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

I run my e Rated at 29. I air down without beadlocks to 15. All is well

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.
post #106 of 121 Old 12-20-2016, 12:38 AM
Granite Guru

So last week I put a set of these on my wife's 2014 Cherokee and I have to say
I'm very impressed!
We had 6" of fresh snow to play in and the things grabbed like snow tires!
Then we drove about 70 miles in a freakin blizzard coming home on unplowed
or ice covered roads and never once got squirrely!
I will definitely get a set for my Wrangler when I need new shoes.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

"Wake me for the Revolution..."
post #107 of 121 Old 08-09-2018, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Resurrecting a dead thread...I saw elsewhere you are no longer running these as you went to a more aggressive mud tire. When you removed them were you still as impressed with them as you were here?

Thinking about getting a set and your review below helped sell me. I have a set of Goodyear Kevlars on now and don't particularly care for them. Great on the trails, but have had all sorts of trouble with balancing and being out of round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
they blow me away with how "sticky" they behave/are and yet the compound wear just seems decelerated ...I am very rough on tires and while I cannot speak to your Western inclination, the things adhere as if they are those gooey toys that creep down walls that you used to get in cereal as a prize.I am not joking. There have been many folks ( Rockslide engineering, Currie , Phil Howell come to mind) using these out West, including Lance from our favorite forum.
I am awed by the adhesive properties; I used to run ( awesome) STT Coopers and swore by them ; I had many reservations about moving from an M/T to an A/T but after a year and a half, I have had a change of opinion. My STTs used to slip on the slightest moisture; not heavy rains, but mists or even fog caused moisture and I was spinning the tires on asphalt; these, not so much as a chirp when wet. If I roll slow on hot asphalt with windows down, I can here them making a sort of suction sound as they press against the tarmac. Rocks, they climb and crawl all day over granite and limestone/flint here in the East.

The ONLY thing I have noticed that I had a slight issue with was the lack of a raised bead around the rim. I do not yet run beadlocks; the old Coopers had that typical MT raised bead ridge at where the rim meets to protect from stuff lodging between rim and tire during aired down situations; ask Matt or Don at DTD how much I bugged them about this, lol. I recently had aired WAY down ( I usually use 10-12 PSI on these offroad ; no issue with bead breakage) on my non beadlock StrikeVs ; at a very muddy OHV recently, I had to get thru ( i hate mud, btw) a 3'-3.5' deep mud hole that was about 2 football fields long ....I aired down to about 8psi and about a week later, noticed a loss of a little PSI when back at home. Turns out I got A LOT of debris between the wheel rim and the KO2 bead that was causing slow air loss; I had to air all four down completely and have my wife and kids stand on them while I scraped and cleaned out particulate and dried mud from the beads; If I had beadlocks, this would not matter so , until I do ,have locked beads, I will not go lower than 10-12 psi with these. Once I have the TrailGear or Walker Evans I am saving for, this wont be an issue. Anyway, hope that helps. I am at 7250 miles and have only 1/16 to 2/16 wear on any of the five tires....

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Last edited by RUCKDOG; 08-09-2018 at 01:46 PM.
post #108 of 121 Old 08-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUCKDOG View Post
Resurrecting a dead thread...I saw elsewhere you are no longer running these as you went to a more aggressive mud tire. When you removed them were you still as impressed with them as you were here?

Thinking about getting a set and your review below helped sell me. I have a set of Goodyear Kevlars on now and don't particularly care for them. Great on the trails, but have had all sorts of trouble with balancing and being out of round.
Hey RUCKDOG, if you hadn't resurrected this one I would have. I'm running the Goodyear MTR's with Kevlar as well, 35 X12.5 on 17. I've had them on since 2013 and they've always been a PITA to balance. I just had them balanced again a couple of days ago and while they aren't shimmying at 40-45 MPH anymore now they feel bouncy, out of round or something. The tread is getting down to where it's soon to be time to change them and I'm looking at AT's instead of MT's, reason being that I think maybe they'll balance more easily and have better all around traction in most conditions up here. I avoid the mud if possible. Sure, it's fun, but spending 2 hours trying to clean it all out from afterward isn't.

My rig is damn heavy but it's also a daily driver so it's nice that the weight of the T/A KO2's is similar to the Goodyears which are lighter than a lot of others.

Have you switched yours yet? If so what are your impressions so far? better balance, traction less noise?

I gotta be me cause everyone else was already taken.
post #109 of 121 Old 08-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Wheeler

I run the KA02 34x10.5-17 as my winter tires and love them. In the Summer I run KM2 35x12.5-17 and I love them too. The KAO2 are snow rated which keeps me from having to chain up most of the time. The KM2 are not snow rated. I've not had any problems balancing them and wear seems to be pretty good. Freeway handling is good. As would be expected the KM2 is noisier at low speeds and the KA02 does better in loose gravel. The KM2 does great in desert dirt and sand but the KAO2 is no slouch either. I'm very happy so far.

This was my first tire choice for the Jeep and I did little research so I guess I got lucky.
RUCKDOG likes this.
post #110 of 121 Old 08-20-2018, 11:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
Hey RUCKDOG, if you hadn't resurrected this one I would have. I'm running the Goodyear MTR's with Kevlar as well, 35 X12.5 on 17. I've had them on since 2013 and they've always been a PITA to balance. I just had them balanced again a couple of days ago and while they aren't shimmying at 40-45 MPH anymore now they feel bouncy, out of round or something. The tread is getting down to where it's soon to be time to change them and I'm looking at AT's instead of MT's, reason being that I think maybe they'll balance more easily and have better all around traction in most conditions up here. I avoid the mud if possible. Sure, it's fun, but spending 2 hours trying to clean it all out from afterward isn't.

My rig is damn heavy but it's also a daily driver so it's nice that the weight of the T/A KO2's is similar to the Goodyears which are lighter than a lot of others.

Have you switched yours yet? If so what are your impressions so far? better balance, traction less noise?
That's the same size MTR/Ks I'm running, put on in 2010. I haven't upgraded yet, but will probably do so in the next few weeks. As with you, they have been an absolute PITA. I recently had them balanced (again) after a recent bout of DW (again) coming back from Buena Vista. I've been pretty religious about rotating them every 3K miles so wear is pretty even on all tires. I had them road force balanced and a couple of tires are significantly out of round and all were out of balance, after only about 7,000 miles since the last balancing. The guy that balanced my tires said that the MTR/Ks have a reputation for the kevlar bands shifting over time, which explains why they need to be balanced so much. While the balance and out of round aren't the cause the cause of my reoccurring DW (this time it was a worn aftermarket trackbar, which had only been on for 35-40K miles, and a loose lower control arm) I think the MTR/Ks put a lot excessive stress on the existing components causing them to wear out quicker.

We are heading to Buena Vista again on the 14th of Sept so I'm going to upgrade before then, maybe in the next few weeks. I'll let you know how they work out.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
post #111 of 121 Old 08-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Rock God

Quote:
That's the same size MTR/Ks I'm running, put on in 2010. I haven't upgraded yet, but will probably do so in the next few weeks. As with you, they have been an absolute PITA. I recently had them balanced (again) after a recent bout of DW (again) coming back from Buena Vista. I've been pretty religious about rotating them every 3K miles so wear is pretty even on all tires. I had them road force balanced and a couple of tires are significantly out of round and all were out of balance, after only about 7,000 miles since the last balancing. The guy that balanced my tires said that the MTR/Ks have a reputation for the kevlar bands shifting over time, which explains why they need to be balanced so much. While the balance and out of round aren't the cause the cause of my reoccurring DW (this time it was a worn aftermarket trackbar, which had only been on for 35-40K miles, and a loose lower control arm) I think the MTR/Ks put a lot excessive stress on the existing components causing them to wear out quicker.

We are heading to Buena Vista again on the 14th of Sept so I'm going to upgrade before then, maybe in the next few weeks. I'll let you know how they work out.
The one thing I will say that the MTR's have going for them is a lot of tread depth.

Have you had an alignment done since you moved to the Springs? The last time I had one done was back in 2013 right after I did my lift and all. I can tell it needs another one but I want to find a good shop in the area that can do a good alignment on our type of rigs. I know that it can be difficult for them sometimes with the large tires and rims that don't have much of a lip or anything to grab onto.

When I first put the MTR's on, I had a hell of a time getting them balanced until I was able to get to a shop with a road force balancer. I used the balancing beads and they helped some until then, but they also destroyed my TPMS sensors, although that really doesn't bother me since I am always checking my pressure anyhow. When it comes to getting them balanced though I've found it almost impossible to find a shop that will leave the tire pressure alone. Every time I tell them the pressure is exactly where it needs to be for the correct contact patch and every time afterward I find that they've increased it. One time I checked it afterward and found my tire pressures from 51 to 55 PSI. I went back and ripped 'em a new one asking why they increased it contrary to my instructions, let alone why they put them 20 PSI over the max pressure shown on the side of the tire! This last time they told me that they bumped the pressure up to 36 PSI, I told them I had instructed them to leave the pressure at 30 PSI, they said that they balance them at that tire pressure and bumped them up to 36 PSI afterward. They said they would put it back to 30 PSI. They turn it over to me 15 minutes later and I find the pressures 36 PSI, 34.5 PSI, 33.5 PSI and 32 PSI.

post #112 of 121 Old 08-20-2018, 09:58 PM
DJ1
Rock God

I was told from the larger tire shop chains that they have to go with the air pressures marked on the door due to "liability" concerns. The one I go to now is a small local shop and they've been fine with airing them to 28psi for me whenever I swing by for my free tire rotations...

Regarding the KO2's, I run the 37s R17. Rotate every 5k miles. I'm still on the same set of 5 for 2.5 years now. I'd say easily 30k miles on them and still going strong with quite a bit of tread left. I'll get them again without hesitation...
post #113 of 121 Old 08-23-2018, 06:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
I was told from the larger tire shop chains that they have to go with the air pressures marked on the door due to "liability" concerns. The one I go to now is a small local shop and they've been fine with airing them to 28psi for me whenever I swing by for my free tire rotations...

Regarding the KO2's, I run the 37s R17. Rotate every 5k miles. I'm still on the same set of 5 for 2.5 years now. I'd say easily 30k miles on them and still going strong with quite a bit of tread left. I'll get them again without hesitation...
Have they balanced fairly well?

post #114 of 121 Old 08-24-2018, 09:57 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
I don't run them but have friends that do. They balance out just fine. The performance in snow is far superior to the MTRs or even the KM2s. And when off roading in CO and Moab, they do just fine. Hard to tell any difference between the KO2s and the KM2s in the rocks. Mud might be a different story, but we don't have mud around here anyway.
Thanks Nucleophile.

As mentioned before the MTR's are a PITA to keep balanced. Treadwear hasn't been all that bad, I've got just over 30K on them and could probably get another 3K at least. Crawling over lava rock when I was in NM chewed up a lot of tread quickly, so who knows how much more I could have put on them otherwise. I bought them mostly because the Kevlar sidewalls. In the San Juans you can get a lot of stuff that with slice side walls or peel a bead with ease, but fortunately the Kevlar sidewalls haven't had to come into use.

If I have to go through mud that's one thing, but I avoid doing so as much as I can. Now that I'm up here in CO though, I definitely want good snow performance without changing out to dedicated snow tires. Maybe the AT's will give a nicer, quieter ride on highway too.

post #115 of 121 Old 08-25-2018, 02:20 AM
DJ1
Rock God

Never had any issues balancing any of them and that's with them installed on beadlocks.

They have been great on the highway, great offroad, I avoid the thick mud these days as I'm not trying to swap out axle seals on a regular, they've done fine in the rain, but I can't really say how they do in the snow as I've only run them on a fine layer of fresh powder at a rest area going through a mountain pass (highways were already cleared out).

Another thing is they look pretty aggressive and sweet looking for an AT. At least I think they do for a 37" on beadlocks. You look at tires like the Duratrac and they look like ass IMO.
post #116 of 121 Old 08-25-2018, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

my 37"x12.50 x 17 KO2s were extremely round & 2 separate discount tire store managers were surprised at how easily they balanced* ; of the five, the one with most weights was 5 or 6 OZ , iirc?

You cannot buy a better carcassed tire,imho.

(* I say" two separate" because at around 10k on them, just to ensure even wear thoroughly, I took them to another tire store to have them flipped around on the wheels. I do not care white wall out or black-wall out. I care about performance and wear. Thus, I have them flip 'em around so edges wore evenly and they did not behave funny after that, even. I just slapped them back on and went another 5000 miles before I sold them to a friend who's wife is still driving around on them as a DD> )

RUCKDOG likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #117 of 121 Old 08-27-2018, 10:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
The one thing I will say that the MTR's have going for them is a lot of tread depth.

Have you had an alignment done since you moved to the Springs? The last time I had one done was back in 2013 right after I did my lift and all. I can tell it needs another one but I want to find a good shop in the area that can do a good alignment on our type of rigs. I know that it can be difficult for them sometimes with the large tires and rims that don't have much of a lip or anything to grab onto.

When I first put the MTR's on, I had a hell of a time getting them balanced until I was able to get to a shop with a road force balancer. I used the balancing beads and they helped some until then, but they also destroyed my TPMS sensors, although that really doesn't bother me since I am always checking my pressure anyhow. When it comes to getting them balanced though I've found it almost impossible to find a shop that will leave the tire pressure alone. Every time I tell them the pressure is exactly where it needs to be for the correct contact patch and every time afterward I find that they've increased it. One time I checked it afterward and found my tire pressures from 51 to 55 PSI. I went back and ripped 'em a new one asking why they increased it contrary to my instructions, let alone why they put them 20 PSI over the max pressure shown on the side of the tire! This last time they told me that they bumped the pressure up to 36 PSI, I told them I had instructed them to leave the pressure at 30 PSI, they said that they balance them at that tire pressure and bumped them up to 36 PSI afterward. They said they would put it back to 30 PSI. They turn it over to me 15 minutes later and I find the pressures 36 PSI, 34.5 PSI, 33.5 PSI and 32 PSI.
Agree about the tread depth, mine have over 5/8s left after 35-40K miles. I had an alignment done when I first put the MTR/Ks on. Since then I just check the toe and and make sure it it is about 1/8 toe-in. Ran the jk over some roads that have started DW for me and all is well. But damn, if the ride is not rough due to the out of round tires.

I've had to push back the purchase of the new tires as my daughter has decided to comeback on the family payroll for a month or so. Grrr..... Looks to be end of Sept or Oct now.

Quote:
my 37"x12.50 x 17 KO2s were extremely round & 2 separate discount tire store managers were surprised at how easily they balanced* ; of the five, the one with most weights was 5 or 6 OZ , iirc?

You cannot buy a better carcassed tire,imho.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll be getting a set in the next month or so.

One of my MTR/took 14 oz when I first got them, it was ridiculous.

post #118 of 121 Old 08-27-2018, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Agree about the tread depth, mine have over 5/8s left after 35-40K miles. I had an alignment done when I first put the MTR/Ks on. Since then I just check the toe and and make sure it it is about 1/8 toe-in. Ran the jk over some roads that have started DW for me and all is well. But damn, if the ride is not rough due to the out of round tires.

I've had to push back the purchase of the new tires as my daughter has decided to comeback on the family payroll for a month or so. Grrr..... Looks to be end of Sept or Oct now.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be getting a set in the next month or so.

One of my MTR/took 14 oz when I first got them, it was ridiculous.

you'll walk away declaring them one-of, if not the, best tires you've ever owned unless you flog on them in muddy, slippery, [email protected] rocks all the time. They will take that abuse, absolutely ;but you'll be tearin-up some nice freakin tires , wheels and erther perts on yer Jerp a whole buncha the time if ya do that more than a few (awesome) times. I was really abusing them and my friends wife's JKU REALLY needed tires for her babies were being lugged around in it up the side of a mtn 3 x per day, so I did 'em a friendly, then got me made - for-intentional abuse in w/ mud tires ..

I see my KO2s every few weeks & go talk to them & remind them they have a nicer home now & that they deserved the better home they are in than what I woulda done to them.

compound is some type-o wizardry;it hardly wears but is gummy as a pencil eraser.
bitchin' tars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 08-27-2018 at 03:30 PM.
post #119 of 121 Old 06-22-2019, 03:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

you'll walk away declaring them one-of, if not the, best tires you've ever owned unless you flog on them in muddy, slippery, [email protected] rocks all the time. They will take that abuse, absolutely ;but you'll be tearin-up some nice freakin tires , wheels and erther perts on yer Jerp a whole buncha the time if ya do that more than a few (awesome) times. I was really abusing them and my friends wife's JKU REALLY needed tires for her babies were being lugged around in it up the side of a mtn 3 x per day, so I did 'em a friendly, then got me made - for-intentional abuse in w/ mud tires ..

I see my KO2s every few weeks & go talk to them & remind them they have a nicer home now & that they deserved the better home they are in than what I woulda done to them.

compound is some type-o wizardry;it hardly wears but is gummy as a pencil eraser.
bitchin' tars

Finally! I put the KO2s on today, replaced the MTR/Ks. Holy cow, night and day difference on the road. KO2s are quiet and smooth. I had got to the point where I was starting to hated to drive the jk because the tires were loud and beating the hell out of me driving down the road. I rotated them every 3k miles and they still felt like there were out of round, cupped, etc. the KO2s are going to make it a pleasure to drive again. Heading up into the mountains next weekend, itíll be good to see how they perform on the rocks.

post #120 of 121 Old 06-23-2019, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Finally! I put the KO2s on today, replaced the MTR/Ks. Holy cow, night and day difference on the road. KO2s are quiet and smooth. I had got to the point where I was starting to hated to drive the jk because the tires were loud and beating the hell out of me driving down the road. I rotated them every 3k miles and they still felt like there were out of round, cupped, etc. the KO2s are going to make it a pleasure to drive again. Heading up into the mountains next weekend, itíll be good to see how they perform on the rocks.

fwiw, I ran 37x12.50x17LT KO2s on my 4800lb jku on street at 28.5 psi.
I would lower - per conditions - to 10 - 13 psi off-road. 15psi for prerunning or gravel/rock road blasting. As low as 9psi.
Sidewalls can take far more abuse than you think.

enjoy your excellent new tires.

post #121 of 121 Old 07-07-2019, 04:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I replaced my MTR/K's and had the KO2s put on mine the same day as you and couldn't agree more. They're far more quiet and have a nice smooth ride. I'm still working on finding just the right tire pressure for them. The jeep is 5,640 lbs and I checked the contact patch with them cold, but if I check the tire pressure when I get home from work in the afternoon after driving from the East side of Colorado Springs and up Ute Pass it's usually at least 5 psi higher so I need to find a good balance between the two.

I also need to get a alignment done. It isn't too bad, still tracks straight and true but having watched the wear pattern on the MTR/Ks I'd say it's got a little too much toe in on the passenger side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode