IROK 35x14.5R17 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-19-2014, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

IROK 35x14.5R17

Anyone running these? On stock Dana 44 Rubicon? If so how do you like them, specifically for rock crawling? And what kind of a wheel do you have them on?

Thanks,

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Granite Guru

Well since nobody has replied, I'll give you my apples-and-oranges experience with Iroks.

One of my previous vehicles was a 1985 4Runner on which I ran a wide variety of tires from 33 to 37 inches. My absolute favorite of all the tires I ran was the 36x13.5R15 Irok Radial. Believe it or not, they were smooth and surprisingly quiet on the road. And off road those tires simply got it awn. Mud, rocks, snow, it didn't matter - these tires absolutely hooked up and shamed every other tire I ran.

They are soft rubber and the large voids between the treads mean they wear quickly. My 4Runner was a lot lighter than my JK, so I didn't expect to get much treadlife out of a set of them under the Jeep. Interco's tires have gotten quite a bit more expensive over the years, so that's another reason I haven't bought another set. It's also a crapshoot whether you'll get ones that are round or are egg-shaped. I got really lucky with my Iroks, but every other set of Swampers I've owned over the years (6 other sets if memory serves me correctly, including Swamper Radials, Swamper SSRs, and TrXus M/Ts) had at least one tire that caused significant vibrations at highway speed. I wasn't willing to tolerate that on my Jeep so I've abandoned that brand.

I think you will be very happy with the Irok's performance off-road, but I'd say you will probably wish for a better tire on-road. You can decide for yourself what weight you want to assign to the mileage you spend on various terrain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Daily driven rockcrawler
Nothing but the best: AEV, Rancho, MetalCloak, Synergy, Reid Racing, Artec, Warn, Cooper
post #3 of 3 Old 08-20-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMolester View Post
Well since nobody has replied, I'll give you my apples-and-oranges experience with Iroks.

One of my previous vehicles was a 1985 4Runner on which I ran a wide variety of tires from 33 to 37 inches. My absolute favorite of all the tires I ran was the 36x13.5R15 Irok Radial. Believe it or not, they were smooth and surprisingly quiet on the road. And off road those tires simply got it awn. Mud, rocks, snow, it didn't matter - these tires absolutely hooked up and shamed every other tire I ran.

They are soft rubber and the large voids between the treads mean they wear quickly. My 4Runner was a lot lighter than my JK, so I didn't expect to get much treadlife out of a set of them under the Jeep. Interco's tires have gotten quite a bit more expensive over the years, so that's another reason I haven't bought another set. It's also a crapshoot whether you'll get ones that are round or are egg-shaped. I got really lucky with my Iroks, but every other set of Swampers I've owned over the years (6 other sets if memory serves me correctly, including Swamper Radials, Swamper SSRs, and TrXus M/Ts) had at least one tire that caused significant vibrations at highway speed. I wasn't willing to tolerate that on my Jeep so I've abandoned that brand.

I think you will be very happy with the Irok's performance off-road, but I'd say you will probably wish for a better tire on-road. You can decide for yourself what weight you want to assign to the mileage you spend on various terrain.
Thanks for sharing your experience. If I get the IROKs I'll keep the current wheels and rims and use them for around town and non-rock crawling trips. But I have to do 500 to 800 miles each way just to get to good rock crawling spots (I live in the middle of Nebraska). Not sure I want to live with significant vibrations for 8 to 12 hours of Interstate driving each way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode