Favorite Off-Road Tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Favorite Off-Road Tires

I have a 2014 Rubicon. One of the nice things about the Rubicon is that it comes with decent mud tires from the factory.

So far they have served me well enough. Very good traction on the trail, and good enough road manners for me so far. However, It's a Jeep, so there's a good chance they will get replaced long before they really "need" to be.

So, with an eye towards what they will eventually get replaced with, I'm open to ideas. I like the look of the KM2's and that may be what I go with. In NW Ohio the winters can be rough, and I've heard they aren't great in packed snow/ice. I'm not expecting particularly great snow performance from my KM's either.

I don't have a ton of experience with different off-road tires, so other than looks (which are very important obviously), I don't have a ton to go by. I do have some experience with BFG tires, with no disasters, so I feel pretty safe with them. My buddy had Cooper STT tires on his Cherokee, and they seemed good, but his dad had some Cooper tires on his farm truck and they failed, were replaced, and failed again. So mixed there (I do realize anything can fail, and don't want to disparage Cooper tires at all, I'm sure they are good, and I like the looks of some of them, so I would definitely consider them). Both of my off-road buddies right now have Pro-Comps on their Wranglers and they seem good.

Just something fun to think about. So what do you all prefer to run and what have you had good experience with? As a secondary question, are there any mud tires that are actually good in packed snow? What about all terrain tires that are pretty good in mud/dirt/rocks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 12:43 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The stock KM's are worthless in wet and ice conditions due to their lack of siping. The KM2's are decent tires, however, they have complaints of weak sidewalls. A lot of people run the Goodyear MTR-K and are happy with their performance. I have been looking heavily at the Toyo and Nitto lines lately for my next set of tires. Cooper has also been a consideration. The ST Maxx looks like a great hybrid tire. I have a thread on here looking for similar advice and there has been some good feedback in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

The last few snow storms I've had in de, my km2s performed great. Was very happy with them. I also run them at 8-9 psi on the rocks. Very happy with the performance.

I am running a 14.5 wide tire, performance on a normal width may be different

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Eat Liquid Gold"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
The stock KM's are worthless in wet and ice conditions due to their lack of siping. The KM2's are decent tires, however, they have complaints of weak sidewalls. A lot of people run the Goodyear MTR-K and are happy with their performance. I have been looking heavily at the Toyo and Nitto lines lately for my next set of tires. Cooper has also been a consideration. The ST Maxx looks like a great hybrid tire. I have a thread on here looking for similar advice and there has been some good feedback in there.
I've been hearing about the KM's poor performance in the wet and packed snow/ice. I haven't really had any trouble in the rain yet, but I'm not a very aggressive driver, so it may not show up until an evasive maneuver (not a good time to find out how bad tires suck). I haven't driven in snow yet, so I'll see how they do. I have a feeling I may have to take it pretty easy in the snow.
post #5 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

BFG KM2 favorite

Currently running BFG All-Terrain for hwy use
post #6 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 02:43 PM
JKowners Vendor

Ran 35" old style and 37" new style MTR's good tires..but now have Nitto trail grappler's 40".....much better tires IMO, but haven't had them in the wet or snow yet.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #7 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I think one bit hangup I have is the fact that while I want an aggressive, chunky mud tire. But I know that the majority of actual miles I drive are on-road. So I feel like something along the lines of a Duratrac (or even a more pedestrian A/T) would make more sense.

Honestly, every time I see a Duratrac in person I feel like that is the tire I should get. I think it would give a smoother, quieter ride on the road and be much better in rain/snow. The tread isn't quite as aggressive as most M/T's, but it's more aggressive than most A/T's, and the side tread is quite prominent.
post #8 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Duratracs are great tires. I've wheeled with tons of people that run them. It's a great "compromise tire" if you will

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #9 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Granite Guru

the duratrac is a great all around tire. pretty good offroad for an AT type tire, and very good road manners. I put them on my wifes jku (35") so she and our daughter (new driver) are safe in the winter.

the cooper stt is on my d-max and they are a solid tire (more of a mud terrain).

you'll want to pick something with some siping so they will work much better in the snow/rain

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
post #10 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 03:13 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The Duratrac is a good choice, the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx is a good compromise tire, and Nitto has the Exo Grappler coming out which is a lot like the Duratrac. I am in the same boat you are right now, still running the KM's but almost ready to take the leap to a larger diameter and I love the look of MT's. I do not love the noise and performance compromise of MT's on asphalt. The Toyo AT2 in the "XT" is worth looking at too. I believe it only comes in two sizes though. I am currently saving my pennies and getting near the point of pulling the trigger so I am also wanting this purchase to count.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #11 of 33 Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Granite Guru

Given that you have a rubicon you could easily run AT tires offroad (even rock crawling). The lockers are a huge advantage there over other slightly modified jeeps.

I think any decent MT tire is going to wear too quickly to really work well in normal road snow conditions (I'm originaly from upstate NY so grew up driving on snow roads).

The little snow driving I've done in the MTR's worked well enough but that was due to the newer jeeps amazing computer control, not the tires at all.

If you had the money I'd run 2 sets. One street tire for good winter performance and then one pure summer MT tire with some cheap steel rims on one of the two. Using a programmer you can disable the TPMS on the set that doesn't have the monitors.
post #12 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Granite Guru

I have the Nitto Trail Grappler MTs and they are really good in both wet and dry conditions. Never had a problem with them and the noise level isn't crazy. I have about 3000 miles on them now and they are wearing very well also. Certainly can't complain about them.
I also run the Duratracs on my Raptor and they are great in the wet and the snow. with the light weight of the bed in the back, they hook up a lot better than the stock BFG ATs in the wet and the snow. For an all terrain, they have a nice aggressive look to them too which a lot of people like....
post #13 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Winter isn't typically too horrible in my neck of the woods (compared to some other places), but last winter here was really rough. I felt like there was perpetual snow on the ground from November through March, often quite a lot of snow.

I'm fairly certain that if I take it easy, I'll be fine on whatever tires I have. But I've seen people try to drive on packed-snow roads on poor tires (not bald or anything, but just really bad in the snow) and they basically had zero propulsion or control.

I doubt my KM's will be nearly that bad, but if I knew that was going to be the case ahead of time, I would probably just get a tire like the Goodyear Duratracs or something this fall, but I bet it won't be quite that bad.

It's a different scenario, but my buddy had KM's on his rail buggy. He got it out to play in the snow once and it would barely go, and when it finally got moving it swapped ends much easier than it went straight.
post #14 of 33 Old 08-14-2014, 02:08 PM
CUNT

Location: The Land of the Polite, Where shits covered in Ice.

Old skool MTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadole View Post
As previously mentioned, the key step in this process is saturating those whores in piss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunder View Post
I just gotta say.. When you're being butt hurt by your fudge packer minions.. how do you decide which one gets to pull the pony tail n who's left to cup the balls.. If there is any..
post #15 of 33 Old 08-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm a fan of GY MTRk's, I have had a lot of good experiences in all kinds of weather conditions in the 3 sets I have had.

I am currently running Toyo MTs and they are tough as nails, and do pretty well in all weather conditions. My only complaint is that they are considerably heavier than other tires.

I have always wanted to try KM2's but just can seem to pull the trigger on them.

I would go Duratrac's as they do a lot of things well and if you are doing considerable driving in snow.
post #16 of 33 Old 08-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Rock God

I have run Hankook Dynapros in 35" and now 37". Great wear and traction. Very minimal road noise.

post #17 of 33 Old 08-14-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNickelJK View Post
I'm a fan of GY MTRk's, I have had a lot of good experiences in all kinds of weather conditions in the 3 sets I have had.

I am currently running Toyo MTs and they are tough as nails, and do pretty well in all weather conditions. My only complaint is that they are considerably heavier than other tires.

I have always wanted to try KM2's but just can seem to pull the trigger on them.

I would go Duratrac's as they do a lot of things well and if you are doing considerable driving in snow.
What kind of wear life have you gotten out of your MTR K's? I ask because I was interested in them, but in each clump of reviews I see there are some that say they aren't worth the money because of short wear life. I figure if you've had multiple sets you'd be a good person to ask.

I can't say I do "considerable" driving in snow, but it would be a shame if I discover the tires are a nightmare in snow if we have another winter like the last one.
post #18 of 33 Old 08-14-2014, 07:41 PM
CUNT

Location: The Land of the Polite, Where shits covered in Ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
..... aren't worth the money because of short wear life.
Thats why i went with the old skool MTR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadole View Post
As previously mentioned, the key step in this process is saturating those whores in piss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunder View Post
I just gotta say.. When you're being butt hurt by your fudge packer minions.. how do you decide which one gets to pull the pony tail n who's left to cup the balls.. If there is any..
post #19 of 33 Old 08-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
What kind of wear life have you gotten out of your MTR K's? I ask because I was interested in them, but in each clump of reviews I see there are some that say they aren't worth the money because of short wear life. I figure if you've had multiple sets you'd be a good person to ask.

I can't say I do "considerable" driving in snow, but it would be a shame if I discover the tires are a nightmare in snow if we have another winter like the last one.
I got about 35k miles out of each before i sold them with about 1/4 tread left.
post #20 of 33 Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNickelJK View Post
I got about 35k miles out of each before i sold them with about 1/4 tread left.
Thanks for the reply. Not class leading maybe, but not as bad as some made out either.

Granted, I've found myself driving my Jeep more than my last couple cars, but it still may take me four-five years to get 30K+ miles.
post #21 of 33 Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I'm going on year four and just passed 20K...

Quote:
post #22 of 33 Old 08-15-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I'm going on year four and just passed 20K...
Are your KM's worn out, or are you just ready for a step up in size? You mentioned something about it in another thread, but I can't remember if you said they were worn out.

I drive my company vehicle back and forth to work and really only drive my Jeep on the weekends (other than the occasional trip during the week, usually only a couple miles). I had my last car for almost four years and it had just under 18,000 miles when I traded it in for my Jeep.
post #23 of 33 Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Rock God

I am running Nitto Trail Grapplers. Very quiet on the road, great grip on the rocks, and excellent self-cleaning in the mud. Hell, I was slinging mud off the tires 40' in every direction the other day...even hit my neighbor's mailbox with some slung mud, LOL, but he deserved it!

Yes, I live in GA, but we get ice storms more than snow. On the ice, when driven reasonably, they've handled just fine. Siping would probably help more. Knowing how to drive on snow and ice is a bigger factor than what kind of tire you have.

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
post #24 of 33 Old 08-15-2014, 09:44 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

They're probably around 50% tread after those miles, chunked pretty good, a few superficial slices in some sidewalls, a few chunks of the wheel protector ring missing on a couple, and they're almost four years old, so they're starting to show some ozone cracking. All that aside, they were a great option when I first got my Sport and needed something better than the crappy Goodyear street tires. As I have wheeled them, they have worked, but it's time to upgrade. Technically, they are too small for my 9" wide wheels now, so they look a little poke/stretch like JDM rice machine...

I am still so not sure what to get, I love the look of M/T's but want the road manners of an A/T. Gahhhh!

Quote:
post #25 of 33 Old 08-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I've been hearing about the KM's poor performance in the wet and packed snow/ice. I haven't really had any trouble in the rain yet, but I'm not a very aggressive driver, so it may not show up until an evasive maneuver (not a good time to find out how bad tires suck). I haven't driven in snow yet, so I'll see how they do. I have a feeling I may have to take it pretty easy in the snow.
You'd be surprised. I wasn't expecting a whole lot of performance out of my stock KM's on my Rubicon last winter, but man, they worked well. The width cut through the snow fairly well and I don't believe I got hung up or in trouble all winter. And we had a rough winter. My climate is usually heavier/wet snow with the odd heavy powder snowfall (I'm Canadian, odd means once every two weeks) and we essentially got shit-kicked until March. Actually, we had a snowstorm in March that dropped a good dumping of snow on us in a very short timeframe, and the Jeep was one of the few vehicles on the road. I was on a vacation when that happened, and my dad took the Jeep to work rather than his car (his car ran really aggressive snow tires) because the car doesn't hold a candle to the Jeep. When I came home, which was about 3 days after the storm, there were banks 6 feet tall on the sides of the highway. Whereas up until then, the snow had almost melted and the banks were maybe 1.5-2 feet.

I wouldn't write them off right away. The natural winter performance that the Jeep has, combined with the electrical driving aids (pussy settings programmed into the computer) give the Wrangler very competent winter performance.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode