Cooper ST MAXX ?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 07-14-2014, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Cooper ST MAXX ??

Anyone have these? seem decent , 3 ply sidewall. i like the kinda mt kinda at tread.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Granite Guru

cant go wrong with a copper tire. great rubber compound, good technology and most are made in america (they base it out of toledo ohio). the duratrac is also a good option, its severe weather rated, american made, quiet and gets the job done
post #3 of 34 Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Granite Guru

I just ordered Cooper discoverer stt 37x13.50. I know a few people who run them and they live them

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 07-30-2014, 05:18 AM
Granite Guru

The ST Maxx is going to be my next tyre.
post #5 of 34 Old 08-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Rock God

Recently found these tires and like the look. I agree about the balance between MT and AT. According to the specs the tread depth is larger than some MT's. May be a pretty good option.

As far as I know, Cooper Tire is in Findlay Ohio, about 30-45 minutes south of Toledo.

I just found the ST Maxx tire on-line for a good bit less money than the other tires I was considering, so I'm very interested as well if anybody has any experience.
post #6 of 34 Old 09-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Rock God

Well, I'm getting some ST Maxx tires installed on my Jeep next week, so I'll report my experience if anybody is still interested.

BeerMonkey, I think you already bought other tires, but I figured others might be interested. Maybe you are too, just out of curiosity.

Either way, I'll post up my thoughts and maybe pics if anybody wants them. They should be in Tuesday or Wednesday next week (according to the sales rep on the phone).
post #7 of 34 Old 09-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Granite Guru

Went from KM2 35s to Cooper ST 37s, so far I am really liking them. Did Black Mountain Ky. last weekend and they performed great.

Update: Tires are Cooper Discoverer STT 37-1250R17LT

08 Rubicon 2DR Red Rock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dragline; 09-15-2014 at 07:29 AM.
post #8 of 34 Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
Went from KM2 35s to Cooper ST 37s, so far I am really liking them. Did Black Mountain Ky. last weekend and they performed great.
Standard ST, or the ST Maxx?
post #9 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 PM
Rock God

Got my Cooper ST Maxx tires installed today. Went with 255/80R17 on the stock rims.

Size wise, they are obviously very similar to the stock Rubicon size. I'll have to measure to be sure, but they seem just a tad wider. Maybe not overall (still a 255 after all), but maybe just the tread surface. Could just be deceiving due to the different tread design, but that's just the first impression I had looking at them. I set the stock BFG KM next to the Cooper on the Jeep, and the Cooper is definitely taller (as expected). Mounted with the weight of the Jeep on the Coopers it's not a massive difference, but I like the size. It almost looks stock, yet it catches your eye because it's not quite stock. It's funny because at first glance they catch your eye and you are sure they look bigger, but the longer you look at it, the more you could convince yourself that it might be stock. I think it's a good size on an otherwise stock Jeep (no lift, stock flares).

I only have about 6 miles on them, so I can't exactly give extensive performance reports. I will say that they are very quiet compared to the BFG KMs. I never thought the stock mud terrains were loud, but the noise on the drive home was noticeable for its absence. We'll see how that stands up as they wear, but right now they are virtually silent. It felt so quiet in my Jeep on the drive home.

Ride seemed just a tad stiffer on big bumps, but when I got home I checked and they had 41 Lbs. in them, so I'll have a better idea of ride once I drop them a bit.

I'm happy with the aggressiveness of the tread. They look good; I don't feel like I sacrificed the aggressive look of mud terrains.

I'll get some pictures later and maybe some measurements if anybody is interested.

Last edited by BigTB; 09-17-2014 at 07:08 PM.
post #10 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 07:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Pictures!!!!!

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #11 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 07:15 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Yep, there isn't too much info on those tires around the web, so indulge with information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #12 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 05:31 AM
Rock God

I'll post pictures later today. I don't have time this morning.

I did measure the width, and it appears I was correct about the Cooper ST Maxx being slightly wider. Measured from the widest part of the side tread on each tire, the ST Maxx tires are about 3/8" t 1/2" wider than the stock KMs (10-1/2" wide for Cooper ST Maxx, vs. almost exactly 10" for the BFG MT KMs). The tread surface itself is closer to the same. The tread surface of the Cooper tires are maybe 1/4" wider at most, probably more like 3/16".

Height is around what I expected. When I set the unmounted KM next to the Coopers on the Jeep, the Coopers are definitely taller, but not a lot. However, measured from the ground the Coopers are a little over 32" tall, maybe 32-1/4" to 32-1/2", where as, when mounted, the KMs were only a little over 31". So I figure I gained an inch or so. Would have been nice if the Coopers were closer to 33" mounted, with the weight of the Jeep on them, but no big deal.
post #13 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Rock God

Pictures as promised.

post #14 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Rock God

Another note, they don't have the grumbling at low speed like the BFG MT KMs have. At very low speed (just before coming to a stop), particularly noticeable during braking, the KMs would produce a noticeable rumble.

The Coopers are much smoother at low speed, with little to no noticeable rumble.

It never really bothered me too much on the KMs, but in case anybody was wondering, the Cooper ST Maxx don't exhibit that characteristic as far as I can tell.
post #15 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Wheeler

Now that is a SWEET looking tire! After I wear out my new Terra Grapplers I'll be going for those! Thanks for the pics.

'13 JKR - AEV 3.5" SC lift system with Bilsteins/Geo brackets - Nitto Terra Grapp 285/75/17's
post #16 of 34 Old 09-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Rock God

Thanks.

I'll update with my thoughts once I have some more miles on them, and maybe some off-road time.
post #17 of 34 Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 AM
JKowners Vendor

Thanks for posting some excellent photos along with your initial opinion.

The fit looks great. Very clean ride.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 34 Old 09-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Rock God

Went on a trip over the weekend and racked up some miles (around 400 miles) as well as a decent amount of off-road use (4-5 hours of mild to moderate trails and more rocks than I expected).

On road the tires did very well. They do ride a bit stiffer than the stock Rubicon KMs, but I found I had to think about it to notice the difference. If I paid attention to try to detect a difference, I could feel that they may ride just a bit harder, but it's not bothersome or uncomfortable (even after 2+ hours). If I'm not trying to notice the difference, I don't.

The noise level on the highway is a bit higher pitched than the noise from the KMs (or from my buddy's Pro Comp Extreme MT2s on his TJ), but isn't as loud. If I'm listening to the radio/music, even at low volume, I can't hear the tire noise. Even if I'm just having a conversation, I don't notice the noise. But if I'm driving in "silence" so to speak, I will hear the whine a bit if I'm above 45 or so MPH. Again, it's not very loud and I stopped really noticing it once I stopped listening for it, so I doubt it would be bothersome for most people. Below 45 MPH, the noise was virtually non existent in my opinion, certainly not detectable above wind and engine sounds. I actually notice that I hear the engine more now with the new tires, because it's louder than the tires now.

Handling and tracking is all good, and they seem to roll just a bit easier than the KMs, particularly at low speeds. My mileage is unchanged at worst, it could even be a touch higher, but I don't have enough miles to say for sure.

Off road they did excellent. I didn't get into a ton of mud, but the slightly smeary spots I went through the tires handled without an issue. On packed dirt, gravel, and loose, dusty dirt they did wonderful. I was able to climb very steep hills with a mix of packed dirt, along with the occasional loose or gravelly section and it didn't even seem like it wanted to slip. However, the most amazing thing to me was how well it did in the rocks. I went up a very steep washed out hill, where there was a crack in the hill where water runs down from above when it rains. The crack was filled with various size rocks, ranging in size from softball size, to a foot or two in diameter. It was very steep and the rocks were mostly worn smooth from erosion. I only slipped in one spot. I simply backed up a foot or so and got one of my tires to pull itself onto the side of the hole it had been in, and up I went.

I also went up some slick, smooth shale in a wet creek (running water) and they didn't slip on the wet rock either. Wasn't very steep, but there were a couple steps to walk up and it went right up with no slip.

Overall the tires grip very well, and I didn't feel like I gave up anything in traction to the KMs. Maybe I would feel differently if I'd hit some deep mud, but so far I'm very happy with the traction. I didn't air down extensively, I was running them at 20 PSI, just FYI.

I haven't checked the tires out exhaustively, but I did look each one over a bit after leaving the trails, and didn't see any evidence of cutting or chipping.

Just a little update on how they are performing for me.
post #19 of 34 Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Granite Guru

I've been going back and forth between the Goodyear MTRs and Cooper S/T MAXX. I'm currently running 33/12.5/15 Duratracs (6,000 miles) and I'm moving up to 35" tires and have a question concerning the load range on the Coopers. The 31, 33 and 35/12.5/15 tires are load range C, and except for the 315/70/17 and 37/12.5/17 which are rated as D, all the other sizes for the S/T MAXX are E rated. I believe the MTRs in 35/12.5/15 are also a C rated tire.

Since the 35"x15" tire has a lot of sidewall, should I be concerned with it being a load range C tire? Everyone likes plently of flex offroad, but no one wants a Jeep that handles on the road like a flatbottom boat in 2 foot swells. Reason I ask is my 33" Duratracs initially felt pretty squishy in the corners. Now they feel and handle fine.

I'm waiting on an answer from Cooper regarding any differences in the sidewall construction of their C, D and E rated tires.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

post #20 of 34 Old 03-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Rock God

It's been a while, don't know if anyone is still interested. Thought I'd give a bit of an update on these tires.

I have just under 5,000 miles on the tires and everything is going fine. Can't say for sure if they've gotten any louder, but not much if they have. Still definitely quieter than the stock KM MTs. They don't show any noticeable wear just yet.

They did great in the snow this winter. Multiple trips made in snow storms with no problems.

I've been off road more now with the ST-Maxx than I was with my KM MTs. While I can't say they are 100% free of cuts and chips, they seem far more chip and cut resistant than the KM MTs. They are virtually perfect still, which is impressive. I also drug both tires on one side against a rock (my poor rims show the scars), and the sides of the tires don't show any marks.

There have been a couple situations off road where I felt an MT probably would have gripped better, but there are also situations I'm sure I'll slip if not have to try a different route all together but I end up just cruising along without even slipping in the slightest. My buddy has 35" Pro-Comp MTs and there are places where he seems to get through easier than I do, but I don't feel like I'm vastly outgunned by his larger MTs. Overall I'd say the tires do very well off-road, if not quite as good as a dedicated off-road tire.
post #21 of 34 Old 03-14-2015, 07:58 PM

Perfect Timing

BigTB, the timing of your update is perfect. I've been trying to decide between the S/T Maxx and the BFG Mud Terrain KM2, both in the LT 255/80r17 size. My JKU is a daily driver that will see some off-road use. I live in the NorthWest, so we have a lot of rain and I'm sure the S/T Maxx is a better choice with my climate and my use. In one of your earlier reports you stated your fuel mileage was the same or better. Can you confirm if that is true with your extended use?
post #22 of 34 Old 03-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

nice looking tire. they should do real well on the street and dry off road wheeling.

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #23 of 34 Old 03-15-2015, 04:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod B View Post
BigTB, the timing of your update is perfect. I've been trying to decide between the S/T Maxx and the BFG Mud Terrain KM2, both in the LT 255/80r17 size. My JKU is a daily driver that will see some off-road use. I live in the NorthWest, so we have a lot of rain and I'm sure the S/T Maxx is a better choice with my climate and my use. In one of your earlier reports you stated your fuel mileage was the same or better. Can you confirm if that is true with your extended use?
I would say mileage is unchanged from the tires. The initial time with the tires my mileage seemed the same. My mileage has been worse lately, just due to winter, plus I was running a bit lower than normal pressure. I've been averaging around 16-17mpg lately, vs. 18-21mpg last summer. I didn't go through a winter with the last tires, so I can't say what their winter mileage would have been. I expect my mileage will go back to where it was now that it's warming up and stations will start getting summer fuel again. I would say the tires didn't make much difference either way.

I was actually considering the KM2s in that size as well. Ultimately I decided that since most of my driving was going to be on the street the ST-Maxx made more sense for me, particularly since they were cheaper. Still, I think both are good tires and I don't think either would be a bad choice.

Last edited by BigTB; 03-15-2015 at 05:02 AM.
post #24 of 34 Old 03-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Granite Guru

Cooper ST MAXX ??

I found this thread after I bought 37-12.5-17, here are a few pics. I just bought these and they are quiet compared to BFG KM2's I had before.

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1426737515.697833.jpg
Views: 25644
Size:  56.9 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1426737550.661441.jpg
Views: 21011
Size:  59.2 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 JKUR - Straight out of the junkyard

post #25 of 34 Old 03-24-2015, 07:30 AM
Granite Guru

Stan, What is the actual height of these?

I know KM2's run small, were there a good amount taller?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode