Rock rash beyond repair on AEV Pintlers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-12-2014, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ
Rock rash beyond repair on AEV Pintlers

Had a bit of damage on the trail today. My AEV Pintlers have held up pretty well, considering I do a lot of rock crawling with the JKU Limo. Didn't lose any air, but this one went on the spare carrier. Anyone seen this kind of damage before on their AEV's?
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3c487e51.jpg

It may be time to move into beadlocks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Granite Guru

That doesn't look like rock crawling damage, that looks like higher speed damage while having low tire pressure. I don't know why you think a beadlock would have solved that problem.You didn't get a flat, did you?
post #3 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

That's not rock rash. Looks like too little PSI and too much cow bell into a rock. Tire couldn't absorb the impact so the rock bashed into the wheel and bent it.

This can happen with any wheel under the right conditions. Of course a steely won't crack like that and can be pounded back out with a hammer, though it's almost impossible to make the wheel perfectly round again. All you can do at this point with alloy is use it as a trail spare if it still holds air, or replace it.

I'm a JKO Reject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 06:34 AM
Granite Guru

Could be ground, welded and machined....not sure I'd trust it 100% afterward...but it could probably be saved. Talk to an alloy wheel repairer. I've seen similar fixed.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

I get what you are saying, the area that the powder coat is cracked looks as if the wheel took a hit not from the side, but from the tire face from too low of pressure (I run 13 lbs when crawling) Now it's hard to make it out in the picture, but there is a piece of the outermost flange that is gouged out (not broken off) as if there was a side hit that pushed the flange inward and thus bent the rim enough to crack the paint.

No high-speed running.

The reason I'm considering bead locks is that if you were to see the rest of this wheel and the 3 others, I've got a LOT of rock rash on the flange - hardly any part that has not been gouged. Haven't lost a bead (thanks to good sidewalls on the Nitto's, not running too low PSI when crawling, and being easy on the skinny pedal) but if I had bead locks, the ring would be the sacrifice and easier to replace than a whole wheel.

Could have repaired, but for $225 (not the cheapest wheels around) I can get a new replacement that I could trust (to LeighP's point)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode