15" Wheels with 35s or 37s - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-06-2014, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

15" Wheels with 35s or 37s

I was gifted a set of 4 15x8 alloy wheels that are 5x5 pattern. I test fitted them on my Jeep and they clear the front calipers, I'm assuming it will clear the rear as well.

What is the largest tire size (width and diameter) that can be used with this size wheel? I'm thinking of matching them to a set of MT's for use while wheeling and leave my stocks for DD.

Please post your pics of your 15's and what tires you use. Extra points if they are the old school solid faced alloy wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-06-2014, 09:51 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

not a great picture of the wheels

15" pro comps

35x12.5 MTRk's

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 18 Old 06-06-2014, 10:10 AM
JKowners Vendor

How much lift do you have holy?

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 06-06-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-06-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
How much lift do you have holy?
No lift yet, the plan is to go 3.5" with flat fenders.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-07-2014, 09:31 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_crap View Post
No lift yet, the plan is to go 3.5" with flat fenders.
With those upgrades you can easily fit up to 37's. If you decide to go with 37's though you're going to find a much better selection in 17". There are very few manufacturers who offer 37's for 15" wheel applications. 35's for 15" wheels however are plentiful.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Last edited by Discount Tire; 06-09-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Rock God

The only problem I know with 15" is some Tie-rod ends require 17" rims, as well as some lift kits require the 17" rim, or certain backspacing as well? Don't really know why the rim size matters, but haven't really looked into the why's of why a 17" rim is required on certain suspension components, lift kits, etc....

Anyone who is knowledgeable tackle this question as I feel it's pretty relevant info for anyone looking to use a 15" rim? For all I know I could be completely wrong and the rim size doesn't matter? But I know I've read it in a few MFG sites.

2014 JKU Rubicon, 2007 Superbee #692/1000, BMC Hooligan (my chopper yea it's a Rigid)
"There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
- Ronald Reagan 40th President of the United States (1981-1989)

Last edited by azoth99; 06-07-2014 at 01:53 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Rock God

well im looking at getting the buckshots in 17' wheel. I guess they have +15mm offset? will this work on my jk with 35" tires. 2.5" of lift. Right now I have oem 17" rubicon wheels with 1.5" spacers on the jeep. I'm wanting to just get theses wheels so shops will work on my jeep when needed. thanks Discount tire...

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #8 of 18 Old 06-07-2014, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
With those upgrades you can easily fit up to 37's. If you decide to go with 37's though you're going to find a much better selection in 17". There are very few manufacturers who offer 37's for 15" wheel applications. 35's for 15" wheels however are pretty plentiful.
Just curious as to what the choices are for 37s on 15" rims. Since my intention is to use the 15" wheels for off road, it makes sense to get the largest tires I can to maximize clearance.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Rock God

Pitbull come with a 15 x
post #10 of 18 Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010jk View Post
well im looking at getting the buckshots in 17' wheel. I guess they have +15mm offset? will this work on my jk with 35" tires. 2.5" of lift. Right now I have oem 17" rubicon wheels with 1.5" spacers on the jeep. I'm wanting to just get theses wheels so shops will work on my jeep when needed. thanks Discount tire...
+15mm offset isn't ideal for tires wider than 285mm so if you are wanting to run a 35x12.50R17 tire I'd recommend choosing one that is 17x9 with a -12mm or 17x8.5 with a -6mm offset (4.5" Backspace).

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoth99 View Post
The only problem I know with 15" is some Tie-rod ends require 17" rims, as well as some lift kits require the 17" rim, or certain backspacing as well? Don't really know why the rim size matters, but haven't really looked into the why's of why a 17" rim is required on certain suspension components, lift kits, etc....

Anyone who is knowledgeable tackle this question as I feel it's pretty relevant info for anyone looking to use a 15" rim? For all I know I could be completely wrong and the rim size doesn't matter? But I know I've read it in a few MFG sites.
The best way to know what wheel size your lift requires is to check with the lift manufacturer. They will be able to tell you what diameter wheel and what offset/backspacing is required for their specific lift kits.

Quote:
Just curious as to what the choices are for 37s on 15" rims. Since my intention is to use the 15" wheels for off road, it makes sense to get the largest tires I can to maximize clearance.
Pitbull makes a 37" tire for 15" wheels. Maxxis and Interco may make one too but I'm not 100% sure. These brands aren't listed in my system so you'll want to check their websites.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #11 of 18 Old 06-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Interco
Pitbull
Toyo
Maxxis

DD
11 JK Unlimited
4.88s, Detroit Locker/Tru Trac
37x12.50-17 Toyo Open Country RT
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
Built AMC 360,T-18/Dana 300,
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time

Last edited by CJ7nvrstk; 06-10-2014 at 09:12 AM.
post #12 of 18 Old 06-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru

15" with 3.75 back Space wheels and 35" KM2's. 3.5" RK lift with a RK tie rod with no clearance issues.

Attached Images

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited

post #13 of 18 Old 06-10-2014, 01:44 PM
JKowners Vendor

Great shot b4tn!

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #14 of 18 Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

These are the wheels that I got, anyone know of any drawbacks to running solid wheels like these? I'm planning on getting them powder coated to match the color of the Jeep.

post #15 of 18 Old 06-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Wheeler

37's can be difficult to balance, as can steel wheels. Combine the two and you may have issues....

2014 Rubicon Unlimited|Black|Red Leather|Factory Navigation|lockers|Sway Bar disconnect|5.13 gear|Rock Krawler 3.5 Flex|EVO PLUSH RIDE 4" Springs|EVO C Gussets|17x9 Gun Metal Rough Country XHD| 37" Falken Wild Peak TA|Blistein 5100's|1310 (solid) Front shaft| Diablo Intune DCX|Synergy 3" front stops| Rock Krawler 3" rear stops|Synergy Class 9 Bolt Kit|aFe Magnum Filter.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoth99 View Post

A lot of times the smaller wheels can contact the new sway bar end links especially in the rear but backspace and wheel width vs tire width (tire bubble) are more of the issue there.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
These are the wheels that I got, anyone know of any drawbacks to running solid wheels like these? I'm planning on getting them powder coated to match the color of the Jeep.

Other than weight not really.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-06-2014, 02:50 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRubiJKU View Post
37's can be difficult to balance, as can steel wheels. Combine the two and you may have issues....
The only way you're going to have issues balancing a wheel is if it's of piss poor construction. Most of the time it's not steelies, but those crappy alloy toy boy racer wheels from pep boys or vatozone type outlets. Tire size doesn't matter as much as you'd think, either. I've had 31's that balanced worse than these 37's. It's not the size that matters as much as the quality, on both accounts.

37" bias ply iroks.
15" steel wheels, 4" backspacing
Balanced with airsoft bb's. Smooth out pretty well once they warm up.
No clearance issues yet. We'll see if it stays that way once I get a different tie rod or drag link.

07 Unlimited Rubicon Rescue Green
37 IROKS, 5.38 Gears, 6Spd, 3.5" lift Poison Spyder front bumper, 8k XRC winch, Smittybilt Atlas rear bumper, Poison Spyder fender flares, Rigid Fog lights, Superchips tuner, Hydro assist, HID projector headlights, HD/custom tie rod & drag link, sound system, custom tree damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode