Treps Vs MTR Kevlars - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
rpm
Wheeler

Treps Vs MTR Kevlars

Hi Guys,

I've been running 37 inch MTR Kevlars for a while now on non-bead locked rims and was pretty stoked with their performance off-road. I would air them down to 18-20 psi off-road.

Recently I bought myself a set of 37 inch Maxxis Trepador sticky's on beadlocked rims. I can obviously air down to a lot lower pressures than before, generally 10-12 psi. There was night and day differences between off-road performance in mud and on rock between the MTR's and the Treps. The Treps were far superior in every way on the bead locked rims. Do the MTR's need to be mounted on beadlocks to come alive or start working properly?

My question is, if I had the MTR's on beadlocks, would there be such a gulf in off-road performance? Obviously the difference would be smaller, but I'm after people's first had experience with the 2 tires in question running bead locked rims.

Reason for this question is, I have 2 sets of MTR's in the shed and I can purchase another set of sticky Treps for a good price, but I'm not sure on which way to go...

Any advice is appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 04:49 PM
Granite Guru

just to understand you correctly, you are comparing a DOT mud terrain tire to a sticky competition compound tire?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
post #3 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
rpm
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tfrot View Post
just to understand you correctly, you are comparing a DOT mud terrain tire to a sticky competition compound tire?
Yes..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 05:41 PM
JKowners Vendor

You can't compare the 2.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 06:43 PM
Rock God

can't compare the two....on a side note your air down pressure was not near enough on the MTR's on standard rims....I air my 37" MTR's down to 10-12 without bead locks with no issues

post #6 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
rpm
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper View Post
can't compare the two....on a side note your air down pressure was not near enough on the MTR's on standard rims....I air my 37" MTR's down to 10-12 without bead locks with no issues
Wow 10-12 psi without beadlocks, that's ambitious...

I thought it was a fair question given the fact that MTR's have been very competitive in King of Hammers events and a jeep one our tuff truck competition this year running the MTR's.

I guess I wanted to know if the MTR's require low pressures for them to start working properly?

Thanks for everyone's input... It's been very helpful...
post #7 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Rock God

I messed around with the air pressure on the MTR's for a little at EJS in Moab this year...at 14-15 I wasn't seeing much bulge and even though the traction was good I felt it could be better. Dropped down to 12 then 10 for the rest of the week and they performed awesome!

post #8 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
rpm
Wheeler

Quote:
I messed around with the air pressure on the MTR's for a little at EJS in Moab this year...at 14-15 I wasn't seeing much bulge and even though the traction was good I felt it could be better. Dropped down to 12 then 10 for the rest of the week and they performed awesome!
Good stuff mate... Is your jk a 2 door or a 4 door? And are you running 37's? Thanks
post #9 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post

I thought it was a fair question given the fact that MTR's have been very competitive in King of Hammers events and a jeep one our tuff truck competition this year running the MTR's.

I guess I wanted to know if the MTR's require low pressures for them to start working properly?

You can get the MTR in a comp csticky compound as well, not the same as the everyday tire. That would be a better comparison.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #10 of 17 Old 06-01-2014, 04:30 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Like stated above I would play with your pressure. On a 35 MTR the difference between 15 and 10 is quite a bit. I now run between 10 and 11 on non-beadlocked wheels,

never lost a bead or burped air

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #11 of 17 Old 06-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post

it's not a fair comparison no matter what. 2 totally different compounds.

the MTR-Ks are a great tire (other than weak sidewalls) for wheelin most terrain, but a comp compound is gonna stick tons better.

but to answer part of your question- the mtr-k will work better when the psi is lowered. they work quite well for a DOT tire (kinda like the KM2)

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
post #12 of 17 Old 06-01-2014, 07:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Treps Vs MTR Kevlars

Quote:

Likewise. To date, have not lost a bead, 8" wide wheel

Big difference in grip from 18 psi to 10

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #13 of 17 Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
rpm
Wheeler

Thanks to all you guys for your advice.

I'll try lower pressures offroad on the MTR's and see how that go's.

I'm officially a Trepaholic tho... I ended up buying that second set of Treps last night, and I'm glad I did because they look pretty much brand new. Plus they have been grooved through the centre, so they've got heaps of tread remaining.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Made in the U.S.A.

Garage

I have run 37" MTR/Ks at single digit pressures on a 8.5" wide non-beadlock wheel. No problems. I think they do need a lower pressure than some other tires.

I'm running the new Falken MTs now and 12psi on them feels like 8psi on the MTR/Ks.

You can see how soft the rear tire is at 12psi.

GenRight Off-Road - Genuine Ideas Engineered Right
4535 Runway Street, Simi Valley, California 93063
805-584-8635

/
/
/
/

post #15 of 17 Old 06-04-2014, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
rpm
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenRight Off Road View Post
I have run 37" MTR/Ks at single digit pressures on a 8.5" wide non-beadlock wheel. No problems. I think they do need a lower pressure than some other tires.

I'm running the new Falken MTs now and 12psi on them feels like 8psi on the MTR/Ks.

You can see how soft the rear tire is at 12psi.
]
Thanks mate. I'll try that on the weekend. I'm taking the wife and the 3 little ones for drive out in the bush on the weekend, so I'll see how the mtr's perform on 10psi... I'll report back with my findings/opinions.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Nothing that hasn't already been said, but drop that PSI to 10 - 12 and you'll have a different tire on your hand altogether. Never had any problems airing down that low on non-beadlocked wheels here either.

Marcus

post #17 of 17 Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Rock God

same as others have said. i run the 37 mtr's at 8 psi usually with no issue. i used to run them on the stock alloys, and now i have them on some slightly wider steelies. its helpful to just not have a super wide wheel to keep it from burping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode