Looking at tires for Moab - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Looking at tires for Moab

So I'll be heading to Moab in about 2 months and I'm wondering about tires.

My 2012 2 door sport has a 2.5" lift, 4.56 gears, and selectable lockers front and rear. I'm currently running 35" Duratracs. They're good daily driver tires, especially in the snow. And they handle the mild trails we have around here. But I wonder about how well they will hold up out in the trails around Moab. I don't hear good things about sidewall durability.

So while I have some time and budget, I've thought about getting some good tires for the trip.

I will be driving out there and back, probably 1200 miles one way. So I'll need a tire that does reasonably well on the freeway while still doing well on the rocks.

I've been doing some searching and reading and I've heard some conflicting opinions on MT/Rs. Some say the newer ones have sidewall troubles but other people say they run them all the time without problem. I looked at the Krawler but the only 35" version runs on a 15" rim and I don't want to mess with such a small rim on my JK. I might go with Krawlers later when I swap in the D60's and taller lift to run 40's.

Some people say the latest BFG Mud Terrain is pretty good overall and has a durable sidewall. The side benefit of that tire for me is being able to run it on the muddy trails around here and get better mud traction than I get with my Duratracs. Does anyone have experience with those and would they be a good choice?

Any advice in this arena would be more than welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

Try out my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Rock God

Traction is endless at Moab and the rocks generally aren't sharp, so tire selection doesn't matter too much.

That being said, if you are in the market, I would get the nitto trail grapplers. It's been a great all-around tire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

post #3 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

Im heading there with hoggstattus and rrauzer on friday for a week. They are on trail grapplers. Im on trepador radials. We should have lots to say on the trip after. Will see how those two choices compare.

Unspoilt by progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Sounds good. I have two months before my trip so I have time to get what I want.

Try out my
post #5 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltz View Post
Traction is endless at Moab and the rocks generally aren't sharp, so tire selection doesn't matter too much.

That being said, if you are in the market, I would get the nitto trail grapplers. It's been a great all-around tire.

yep, and you can get them from one of our stores as well (discount tire)

the km2 and mtr-k will do awesome out there as well, but the nitto will probably do better as a DD tire once you're home.

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
post #6 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

I have the Duratracs for DD duty. But I don't want to drive 2400 miles on bias ply tires. And I could use a tire that does better in the local mud for my trail rides.

Try out my
post #7 of 14 Old 05-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Rock God

Discount tire FTW, !!!!!!!

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl

Last edited by 2010jk; 05-22-2014 at 08:45 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmjeeper View Post
I have the Duratracs for DD duty. But I don't want to drive 2400 miles on bias ply tires. And I could use a tire that does better in the local mud for my trail rides.
KM2
MTR-K
Nitto Trail Grappler MT
Interco Trxus MT

those are all great offroad tires that will give you good DD manners. I've driven across the country on all of them except the Nitto.

get the Nitto or the Trxus MT if you are looking for better mud performance

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
post #9 of 14 Old 05-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Wheeler

i've run with my duratracs for years in moab with no troubles. air down to 15 and they are soft and grippy.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 02:14 AM
Granite Guru

Looking at tires for Moab

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmjeeper View Post

I have ran 35" Duratracs at Moab two years in a row in the Jeep and 32" Duratracs on an Xterra. Each time it was 3000+ mile roundtrip. No problems at all on the hwy or on the trails. They handled Moab just fine.

Meanwhile, a guy had a puncture on his stock MT KM's at the beginning of Poison Spider Mesa. Sometimes shit just happens.

As far as mud, I can't help you there. I try to stay away from it.

Sent from a payphone
post #11 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 AM
JKO Addict!

If you already have Duratrac's I would stay with them. They are one of the best tires out there and not sure why people say they have a weak sidewall.
Then new DC fun country hve been getting good reviews if you are dead set on new tires. I would look for a C or D rated tire and stay away from the E.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #12 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

I guess I'm not dead set on new tires necessarily.

A lot of the trails around here in farm country end up being muddy so I eventually need something for better mud traction around here. But if the Duratrac can handle Moab just fine then there's no reason to get a new set of tires for this trip. I can put that money towards the supercharger fund...

Try out my
post #13 of 14 Old 05-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
If you already have Duratrac's I would stay with them. They are one of the best tires out there and not sure why people say they have a weak sidewall.
Then new DC fun country hve been getting good reviews if you are dead set on new tires. I would look for a C or D rated tire and stay away from the E.
Duratracs do have a weak thin sidewall. I had them on my WJ and they had a sidewall befitting a standard touring tire (mine were C load rated 15") and although I did not puncture them I came very close on 3 of the 4 I had and we do not have much sharp rock in Florida.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Granite Guru

How do you come "close" to puncturing a tire without doing it, and then actually notice it?

A deep cut with no air loss?

I have Duratracs and am worried now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode