tires for my daughter's jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

tires for my daughter's jeep

So my daughter's 2012 2 door got hit. Took out two of the rubi take offs. We have her 16" factory wheels in the garage. I am going to get new tires all around and am torn between the duratracs and trail grapplers. Size will be 285/75R16. I would love to hear some feedback from owners of both. She will mostly do street and some trail riding. Right now I am leaning toward the duratracs.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-14-2014, 02:35 PM

Duratracs. My buddy has them on his 2 door and loves them.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Granite Guru

I love my duratracks. Awesome in sand, mud, snow. And minimal road noise. I'm running 285/70/17 if they where good for southern cali I'd consider getting 35s in duratracks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Nick, I use the word AWESOME a lot.
2007 'Rescue Green' JKU
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Granite Guru

how old is she? how much seat time?

our daughter has her permit and will start driving by herself this coming Jan. I went with duratracs due to wanting one of the safest winter tires I could get and still have offroad capabilities.

I wanted something with tons of siping for our winters, but also something that looks nice and will perform decent offroad.

the trail grapplers have zero siping so the wet traction won't be great and the snow traction even worse. not a good combo for an inexperienced driver.

hope that helps

quick example for ya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZGowZKJvPU

that was our 11yo son driving and tires still at street pressure (35psi). duratracs worked great in that slop. it got worse farther down the trail and still never aired down.
I know that wasn't crazy deep mud, but I was impressed with how easy they kept moving forward being at street pressure. deepest spots were probably about 1 1/2ft (deeper muddy ruts)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig

Last edited by 1tfrot; 05-18-2014 at 08:57 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Granite Guru

Not an owner of either, but just 6-8 months ago did lots of asking/research about tires on the forum. If I had a daughter doing streets with some trails I'd go duratrac in a heart beat.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #6 of 15 Old 06-05-2014, 09:32 AM
JKowners Vendor

I'm running Trail Grapplers on my Jeep now and I really like them. Off road they are awesome, the balance easily and they ride smooth on the highway as well. I live in Arizona though and my Jeep only sees snow and ice during hunting season. If winter traction is a concern go with the Duratracs (or get the trail grapplers siped). The Duratrac carries the mountain snowflake symbol signifying that they are rated for severe winter conditions. They are also considered an AT/MT hybrid by most and they do great both on and off road. Also, in the long run the Duratrac will be quieter and lighter weight so your daughter will save a few pennies at the pump too.

Let us know if we can help you with either tire, we'd love to earn your business.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Granite Guru

Duratracs no question. Better in almost every way, especially rain/snow. Followed a Jeep around Rausch last weekend with 3 week old Trail Grapps and my 20k mile old Duratracs made it up hills that he was spinning tires up with no issues
post #8 of 15 Old 06-05-2014, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Went with a local vendor (RPM Extreme in bham AL) with some takeoff rubi wheels (2 of hers were damaged) and the durtracs in 315. Should measure out to about 35". This should also help tone down her skinny pedal habit (bigger tires, no regear). The wreck was not her fault (got tboned by someone trying to dart through traffic into a gas station). Now to trim her fenders. Insurance covered a replacement teraflex d30 in the front so Cs won't be a worry. Still have to buy the replacement front drive shaft but will wait till we get the new rubber, 4 door rubi springs, and longer links on. Looking forward to seeing how the duratracs perform on the daughter's 2 door. She still has not hit the rocks yet. As fearless as she is, that first run on the rocks should be... interesting... Dad (me) will pack the toolbag.

post #9 of 15 Old 06-05-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Oh yeah, thanks for all the advice. Shame there is not a discount tire near me. If any of you ever get a chance to wheel up at Morris Mountain, drop me a line and I will bring beer.

post #10 of 15 Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
... Shame there is not a discount tire near me. ....
Shipping is FREE : http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #11 of 15 Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

315/75R17 duratracs are on. Tires are much smoother than the rubi tires she had on it.

post #12 of 15 Old 06-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Granite Guru

Are they on the stock rubi rims?

Nick, I use the word AWESOME a lot.
2007 'Rescue Green' JKU
post #13 of 15 Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Rock God

Well discount tire have just at 900 stores and more are going up, we are in the midwest now, NE. IA, going to KC, MO. Hopefully we get to you soon. But good choice on the GDT's.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #14 of 15 Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAdventure View Post
Are they on the stock rubi rims?

yep, with 1.5" spacers

post #15 of 15 Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010jk View Post
Well discount tire have just at 900 stores and more are going up, we are in the midwest now, NE. IA, going to KC, MO. Hopefully we get to you soon. But good choice on the GDT's.
If I could have done with DT I very well might have. Problem was installation. I do my own beadlocks but don't have the right stuff to do regular tire/wheel mounting/balancing right. DT could do well in Birmingham, AL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode