MTR Kevlar build quality - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

MTR Kevlar build quality

Ok, no flames on this post or highjacking please, I am really interested in this tire as i love getting the jeep in mud, but want to keep some road manners and my only other options seem to be nitro trail grappler, KM2s, and duratracs, each with their downfalls and shortcomings.

I want real world experience with people who have recently (within the past 2 years) bought, wheeled, and driven these tires on the street. I noticed some people who bought theirs in 2009-2011 have a lot of issues with their build quality, and i'm interested to see if GY stepped up their QC process to correct this.

Things i want to hear about: issues with flat spotting, highway sounds (70-85mph), balancing issues, on road handling, grip on rock, and of course, how well they can pull you out of some thick mud (I'm talking clay mud, creek mud, and good old fashioned sprayed too much water on the front lawn mud)

Things i don't want to hear: "the trail grapplers are so much better," "just stay out of the mud" "duratracs are perfect for what you want".....you catch my drift
Thanks and i appreciate any feedback i might get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Granite Guru

I saw another site where some people swear by them and others say they are the worse tire ever. Some say the side wall punctures damn near by looking at them, others say, no problem. I just got a great deal on some that are 38 x 14.5 x 17. They have been great on road, very quite, no flat spotting and balanced well. I just finished my build and still doing some adjustments so, I have not had them off road yet. I know I won't find any mud around here but there is plenty of rocks. I guess I will find out how they do !
post #3 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

35x12.5x15's

had them since 2010, probably put just over 20k miles on them.

minimal road noise, no flat spotting, great wheeling tire and zero complaints.

They have wheels rocks, mud, dirt, trees...and have been wheeled pretty hard. They have worn well and while they have some rock rash, there is no chunking or entire treads being torn off like some other tires I have seen

Wheel them on a 15" aluminum non beadlock procomp at around 11psi. No sidewall issues.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks! great feedback so far! Did either of you have trouble getting them balanced at all? And if you could, tell me how much weight per tire was used to balance
dahreno
please get back with me when you get them off road, especially with all those rocks out there, I'd love to hear what you have to say cause out here they are everywhere as well

asmmns
do you go out in rocks often? Also, how well did they do in the mud you have out there? And do you ever get in deep mud or just occasional puddle on trails?
post #5 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Yes.. yes... and yes

our northeast trails consist of loose rocks, granite, thick mud, water and dirt. Usually found on all the same run !

I personally prefer the rocks and enjoy crawling ! It is too late for me to get some pics posted but I will do that for ya.

They have seen real mud... like frame resting on the mud while the tires sink ..again... no complaints !

Edited for pics !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...

Last edited by Asmmns; 05-05-2014 at 09:53 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-06-2014, 05:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I ran a set of 35' MTR's for about a year and now 37's for a little over a year.

I have not had any of the problems that I have read about with them; however, I do rotate them frequently and get them balanced very frequently. They ride good on the road but I would not say great. They are not as smooth as something like a Trail Grapper or a Toyo Open Country...but they are also way lighter.

If mine flat spot at all it is very minor, to the point where I am not sure they do. They are not a quite tire but they are also not super loud either.

I have ripped a sidewall once on a rock. I have heard many bash the strength of the sidewalls but I haven't really had any issues. The rock I hit was sharp and could have easily ripped just about any tire's sidewall.

They are great on the dirt and rocks, they are not a mud tire. My experience with this, as I try to stay away from the mud like the plague, is a trip I had during a rainstorm. Followed a buddy in a very similar set up jeep on 37" BFG KM2's. Those KM2's performed much better in the mud. I would say the MTR's are just "OK" in the mud.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TCdawg; 05-06-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
I ran a set of 35' MTR's for about a year and now 37's for a little over a year.

I have not had any of the problems that I have read about with them; however, I do rotate them frequently and get them balanced very frequently. They ride good on the road but I would not say great. They are not as smooth as something like a Trail Grapper or a Toyo Open Country...but they are also way lighter.

If mine flat spot at all it is very minor, to the point where I am not sure they do. They are not a quite tire but they are also not super loud either.

I have ripped a sidewall onces on a rock. I have heard many bash the strength of the sidewalls but I haven't really had any issues. The rock I hit was sharp and could have easily ripped just about any tire's sidewall.

They are great on the dirt and rocks, they are not a mud tire. My experience with this, as I try to stay away from the mud like the plague, is a trip I had during a rainstorm. Followed a buddy in a very similar set up jeep on 37" BFG KM2's. Those KM2's performed much better in the mud. I would say the MTR's are just "OK" in the mud.

Yes. That. I agree with all the performance comments above, and will add that they seemed to hook up on wet/muddy rock better than rigs I wheel with on KM2's. I've never had an issue with a sidewall, but I also run them around 8 psi. Being C rated they wrap around everything fairly well.

I've been running the 35's for almost 3 years, well actually 2. They sat for 11 months without being driven and didn't flatspot.

I had one that they couldnt get to balance right off the self, and one that seems to have gone out of round over the last 3 years that is now my spare. I've never had them rebalance and rotate every 3k.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Granite Guru

Flat spotting---No
Hwy sounds---About like the factory BFG Mud Terrain TA's. They are not quiet
but not real bad.
Balancing issues---none, but I had the pros at my shop do them.
On road handling---I consider good considering.
Grip on rock---good
Mud---Jury still out. So far no issues at all, but have yet to run them in our slimy red stuff.

I would re-buy based on use so far.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #9 of 16 Old 05-07-2014, 10:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've had them on my '14 for 6k miles with one trip Atlanta to Jeep Beach and back.

I've only wheeled it twice and no complaints.

It's my daily driver and they are just as good as the stock KM's.

Balancing - Mine are balanced great. Ask the people that can't get a good balance on a big mud tire if they are running TPMS's. I have ZERO use for those things and when you think about it, the weight of the TPMS has to be counter balanced. I can understand it if someone is a dumbass and never checks their tire pressure, but if you wheel, you're always airing up and down. For those that can't live without TPMS (and I've had arguments with people for them), you're in deep shit come the Zombe Apocalypse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #10 of 16 Old 05-08-2014, 05:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Let's see. Had mine somewhere around a year now. 37x12.5x17's. I wheel primarily in the rocks all over Arizona. In the year or so I've had mine I'm pretty sure I've gone through about 12 total. All failures have been sidewall tears from rocks I wouldn't think should be a problem.

I run beadlocks and air down between 8-10psi typically. I don't baby them and frankly don't feel as though I should given their pedigree. My conclusion for hardcore wheeling is that if you get D-rated 17's, they gonna show their weaknesses real quick like. I'd highly suggest going with a 15 to get into a C-rated tire that will have a much softer and far more forgiving sidewall along with a much better footprint when aired down. Of course you can jump to 40's and get C-rated in 17's...lol

Highway characteristics are good. I think they are quieter than the KM2's they replaced and i only run 25psi max with the Racelines. I've had no issues balancing them and honestly since I don't get enough wear outta these I haven't bothered keeping up with balancing them especially when you consider they would need it after every wheeling trip out having lugs tore off and little chunks missing all over, etc...

As far as hook up goes, it all seems to depends on tire temp, pressure, rock composition and conditions. My experience is that if the tires are nice and hot and the pressure is really low, they seem to soften up enough to hook up fairly well. However if they aren't aired down enough and/or are kinda cold they tend to slip a bunch. Again this varies greatly with rating too. Not at all impressed with them on wet or slick rock as they tend to just slip like a homo in a prison shower.

They have performed well in the limited mud we have around here. Obviously were mudding my preference I would go with a totally different tire configuration all together.

So, overall I'm not as impressed with them as I had anticipated being. I'd be happy to run them in C-rated sizes but D-rated suck balls as far as I'm concerned. This is my dimes worth of info for ya so take it for what it's really worth....like .01

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...

Last edited by M&M's; 05-08-2014 at 05:52 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 AM
JKO Addict!

I would agree with the comments on running the C rated tire. I run the 40's and have no issues with traction on the rocks. Out here they are rough and sticky, the 40's just mold around them and grip. I watch people running the 37's and they don't grip near as well with the stiffer sidewalls.

Little over 2 years on the tires and cut one sidewall on some sharp shale at Windrock in TN. My fault for not paying attention.

They will flat spot some depending on the pressure and the fact my jeep may sit for 2 weeks between rides as it is not my daily driver but I do love to drive it on the road when I can. I have a few lugs with some small cracks around them but have not lost any yet. I run around 26 psi in them on the road.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #12 of 16 Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Wheeler

35x12.5r15
mine have been on for about 20k miles.
Extremely quiet when new, progressively getting louder. Still not horrible, but I miss the day when they were new.
Took a decent amount of weights, but all have been able to balance.
Good highway manners... Do wander a bit if grooves in the road (its a fat tire, happens with any wide tire).
Work very well in snow & rain.
Based on a 5 tire rotation, I'm estimating at least 40-50k miles out of these tires. They have worn very well with no cupping.

Was able to get each tire for $250 installed (bought 7 at the time... 5 for the jeep, 2 for the trailer).

post #13 of 16 Old 05-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Wheeler

also, I try to avoid the mud, but when it happens, they clean out fairly well.
Immediately after going through some soupy crap in utah:
post #14 of 16 Old 05-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Wheeler

Mine are brand new with maybe 500 miles on them...35x12.5x17 not much weight to road force balance them, not terribly loud at 30psi for good wear.

2002 TJ, Silver, caged, 35 Trepadors-Sold
1998 TJ, Red, caged, 33 MTZs-Sold
2007 JKU-Rescue, Lifted, Locked, 35 Km2s

Matthew 9:37
post #15 of 16 Old 05-08-2014, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

so from what i'm gathering is that they are better in clay mud than the sloppy mud in the southeast. I don't ever plan on bogging really so this wouldn't worry me too much. I am very pleased from the feedback i am getting and glad this post has stirred up some good "dirty" conversation
Slick rock sounds like a bit of an issue but i'll cross that bridge if i ever get to it. So far it seems like everyone has a good review of these tires which pleases me as this tire seems to be a bargain around here.

Keep these responses coming, i'd like to hear if anyone has chunked tread off easily/or beaten the hell out of this tire and been surprised they didn't tear.

ASMMNS, great pics! That looks like my type of wheeling and hopefully when the time comes and i get these tires they'll be as good for me as they work for you
post #16 of 16 Old 05-09-2014, 06:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kly5953 View Post
Slick rock sounds like a bit of an issue but i'll cross that bridge if i ever get to it.

Keep these responses coming, i'd like to hear if anyone has chunked tread off easily/or beaten the hell out of this tire and been surprised they didn't tear.
regarding slickrock...was out in Moab for 7 days last June. MTR's did fantastic on the slick rock, no complaints at all. I don't have a comparison of other tires though as the MTR's are the only tires I have wheeled on the slick rock.

I have wheeled my 37's about once a month or so since last April and have not chunked off an entire tread. I am mainly on the rocks and some here in the southeast are somewhat jagged. I do have some minor chunking on the outer treads but IMO it's not anything out of the ordinary.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode