35" Tires won't work even with a 2.5" lift? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

35" Tires won't work even with a 2.5" lift?

Thinking about what I want to do with my new 2012 2 door JK in the next year or two. Someday I would like 35" tires, a 2.5" lift and 4.88 gears. I want to do in stages so I can afford it!

I don't have alot of plans to go crazy off roading, just would like to increase the height 2.5". But my dealer is telling me that with a Teleraflex 2.5" lift that 35" tires will rub, even with after market wheels with a smaller offset. Is it true that with 2.5" lift and different wheels, I will still get rubbing?

If so then I assume the biggest tires that would fit a 2.5" lift are 33'? And if I go with 33" tires I assume I can use the stock 17" wheels. I believe the stock tires are 32", so I don't know what one inch would buy me. Thanks for your input.

JC

P.S. If I go with a 2.5" lift and 33" tires, will it look funny? I mean, will there be too much space around the tires to make it look strange?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 05:26 AM
Granite Guru

You should be able to run 35s on a 2.5"lift. Might have to extend the bumpstops to prevent rubbing while flexing, but you shouldn't have any frame or control arm rubbing if you use spacers with stock wheels, or aftermarket wheels with 4.5" backspacing.

I'm running 35s on stock suspension and they don't rub, just had to add flat fenders. But if I flex, it's going to hit the fenders HARD.
post #3 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecatch View Post
Thinking about what I want to do with my new 2012 2 door JK in the next year or two. Someday I would like 35" tires, a 2.5" lift and 4.88 gears. I want to do in stages so I can afford it!

I don't have alot of plans to go crazy off roading, just would like to increase the height 2.5". But my dealer is telling me that with a Teleraflex 2.5" lift that 35" tires will rub, even with after market wheels with a smaller offset. Is it true that with 2.5" lift and different wheels, I will still get rubbing?

If so then I assume the biggest tires that would fit a 2.5" lift are 33'? And if I go with 33" tires I assume I can use the stock 17" wheels. I believe the stock tires are 32", so I don't know what one inch would buy me. Thanks for your input.

JC

P.S. If I go with a 2.5" lift and 33" tires, will it look funny? I mean, will there be too much space around the tires to make it look strange?
Nope you can run up to 40" tires with a 2.5" lift, flat fenders, pinch seam trimming and proper length bumpstops (2.5-4" depending on trimming). 35s can be run with no lift, flat flares, pinch seam trimming and stock to 1" bumpstops depending on trimming. 2.5" lift with stock flares can run 35s with 3" bumpstops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 06:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Your dealer is an idiot and only knows stock vehicles. The last place you should be getting advise about modifying a Jeep is a dealer. There are plenty of forums to read and get accurate information as well as 4 wheel drive centers all over the country.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #6 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Your dealer is an idiot and only knows stock vehicles. The last place you should be getting advise about modifying a Jeep is a dealer. There are plenty of forums to read and get accurate information as well as 4 wheel drive centers all over the country.
There are literally hundreds of us running 35's on 2.5 lifts with room to spare.. it's a great setup

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #7 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

35's on 2.5" will look great

See all of the above comments

Find another dealer. If they are that ignorant to that setup then they are likely not mod friendly to begin with. That might matter later.

post #8 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input.

It is not the jeep dealer salesman talking to me but the service guy who supposedly does these alot. But anyway I don't know of anyone in the Hudson Valley here besides the Jeep dealer who does this kind of work.

I decided to go with the Teraflex 2.5" budget boost (with new shocks) for $510 from Quadratec. Tires and wheels will come next year. I figure by then the stock tires which have 24,000 miles on them will be ready to be replaced anyway.

But if anyone can give me some advice on finding a local 4x4 guy, that would be nice. I Googled that and found nothing where I live!

JC
post #9 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

It is not the jeep dealer salesman talking to me but the service guy who supposedly does these alot. But anyway I don't know of anyone in the Hudson Valley here besides the Jeep dealer who does this kind of work.

I decided to go with the Teraflex 2.5" budget boost (with new shocks) for $510 from Quadratec. Tires and wheels will come next year. I figure by then the stock tires which have 24,000 miles on them will be ready to be replaced anyway.

But if anyone can give me some advice on finding a local 4x4 guy, that would be nice. I Googled that and found nothing where I live!

JC
Install the 2.5" BB yourself. It is very easy.
post #10 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you stay with the stock wheels, you will probably need wheel spacers. Make sure you buy hub centric spacers.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #11 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

On another forum someone gave me a lead and I found JVS in New Windsor, NY, who installs mods and repairs Jeep. He wants about $450 to install the Budget Boost with shocks.

I will consider him if it looks like I can't do the install myself.

JC
post #12 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
On another forum someone gave me a lead and I found JVS in New Windsor, NY, who installs mods and repairs Jeep. He wants about $450 to install the Budget Boost with shocks.

I will consider him if it looks like I can't do the install myself.

JC
Ouch! For that amount of money, you could buy the tools, charge yourself shop labor rates, and still come out ahead.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #13 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

450 to install a Budget Boost, damn, time to quit my job and move there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
There are literally hundreds of us running 35's on 2.5 lifts with room to spare.. it's a great setup
yep. 35s and only 2" lift

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
post #15 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 06:28 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

We could walk you through the whole install on here complete with pics probably !!!

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #16 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Ouch! For that amount of money, you could buy the tools, charge yourself shop labor rates, and still come out ahead.
This. If he goes to a self service garage he could do the whole install on a lift with proper tools and have it done in 2 hours or so max.
post #17 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

x2 dealer/service guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I've been running 2.5 TF coils and 35's no problem, no rub......before that a spacer BB 2.5" , no problem, no rub......no trimming even required...great setup

Last edited by loanwolf2005; 04-17-2014 at 07:26 PM.
post #18 of 31 Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 PM
JKO Addict!

35s, only a 1.75" front leveling spacer, cut fenders and .5" bump stop, and pinch seam clearanced- no rub.

and wheel spacers
Attached Images

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #19 of 31 Old 04-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Granite Guru

Here's a pic of the 35s on stock suspension. Rugged Ridge flat flares.

And here's a pic of my previous 2-door with a 2.5" Teraflex Budget Boost and 4-door Rubicon springs (netted 3"+ overall)
I did the lift and spring replacement in my driveway. took me a few hours, but mostly because my floor jack wouldn't go high enough and I had to "improvise".

post #20 of 31 Old 04-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Granite Guru

35's on bone stock suspension. Have the flat flares. Had to trim pinch seam and cut ends off front bumper. One inch bump stops rear. Very slight rubbing in front when flexed and steering on full left or right lock. Changing from soft factory stop to a no flex bump, which I predict will eliminate even this small rub. I actually could do nothing, but just want it perfect.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants

Last edited by ratchettt; 04-18-2014 at 09:34 AM.
post #21 of 31 Old 08-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Wheeler

2012 JKU w/RK 2.5" Max Travel Pro lift, 2" RK Bumpstops, 4:88 gears, running stock wheels w/1.5" spyder spacers, 35X12,5XR17 tires and no problems or rubbing.
I say your stealership is incorrect!
post #22 of 31 Old 10-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Wheeler

The dealer we bought our JK from has a guy who installs 2.5" lifts w/ 35"s in-house. In fact, they had a couple brand new Wranglers on the lot being sold with their "dealer-installed" lifts last time I was over there. No spacers, all appeared to be fitted with aftermarket wheels. They seem to fond of 35/12.5 on 20" wheels (yuck...)
post #23 of 31 Old 10-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have 33's on my Jeep with a RK 2.5" lift, 3" Teraflex bump stops and Fox shocks. Factory fenders intact...and frankly, the lift makes my 33's look too small. I flexed it out this weekend, with a little more bumpstop work I have the real estate to go to 35's, easily. And keep the fenders as is.

So the dealer is a moron.

Next topic, a 2.5" budget boost should not cost 450 bucks to install. That's robbery. If you were to pay that, all in all you would have paid the same as if you went to an actual spring lift. Get a few buddies together and install that yourself. I think it's only about 18 bolts, not including the wheels and brakes, if you install bump stops along with it. It's so easy that you'd be crazy to pay 450 bucks to a shop when that money could be used to go to something useful, like a winch.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #24 of 31 Old 10-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Rock God

I'm running a 35" KM2 with no suspension lift, 1.25" bodylift and trimmed fenders. Not the ideal situation but it has taken me offroad twice now and performed well until I can afford the lift I want.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #25 of 31 Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

teraflex 2.5" budget boost with shocks and 35s here. Easy to install. Check the regional forum section maybe get a build party started. If I was local I'd help you knock it out.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode