Best Wheel Setup for my DD out of the 3 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-04-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Best Wheel Setup for my DD out of the 3

I'd like to know, from others that know JK's more than I, if I'm over looking something about any of the 3 wheel/tire setups I've choosen for my DD. I'm really trying to figure out which one to go with. I'll be either on a 2.5 or 3.5 RK X factor kit. I do not want to run spacers if that counts for anything.

I'm looking at 3 choices...

20x12x20 Fuel Full Blowns $2300 ( or 20x10x20)
325/60r20 duratracs $2000
4.75 BS
-44 offset

18x9.5 Spyderlocks $2400
325/65 r18 duratracs $1700
4.5 BS

18x9 Rugged Ridge XHD with rock rings
325/65 r18 duratracs
Can't find any other information on the 18"s (17's have -44mm offset and 4.53 BS)

The look I'm going for is black wheels with the lips or rings painted in anvil. The jeep will see 95% onroad/highway driving. I was originally set on spyderlocks but have been pushed away from them by multiple people due to not needing a beadlock...won't be airing down. Was told I could have some problems with the duratracs softer side wall with sypderlocks. Also, like the rugged ridge but they are 9" wheel and not sure if the 325/65r18 would look to much like a balloon. And the 325/60r20 is 13" wide and the full blown is 12" wide so I don't want it to look like I have euro stretch.

Any suggestions, recommendations or any other information would be great. I've included ballpark prices that I've recieved for all the items (other than the rugged ridge cause I cannot find the 18"s) so you can see my budget but savings are always good haha.--If you have another scenario/setup you'd suggest please let me know.

Last edited by mastrcruse; 04-04-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Granite Guru

Look into a re gear as well. I went from 255 to 285 and i lost a bunch of power (im in a 10 auto though) I went duratrac a month ago and im happy with the choice. as for wheels id recommend you stick with the 18's and if i were you id go smaller, in my opinion 20's on a jk looks way too gaudy and you wont get the on/off road performance you want out of a 20. look at it this way, its already a stiff ride, and 20's offer little to no compensation for bumps and potholes. look at the anza by fuel, comes in balck and 15+ inch options.

my main source of income is recommending tire and wheel choices for the greatest tire and wheel company in the world, discount tire. best of luck and come to one of our stores to have a salesman see what will work best for you. we dont work on commission so the recommendation is truthful and honest.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-04-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the advice. I've used discount tire but they never are competitive at first. I obtain several quotes and then they come down. For example they were at 2400 on the 325/60-20 and I got them down to 1995.95...that's pretty significant.

I like the larger lip look but don't see many 18"s. My favorite look is the spyderlocks with black barrels and color matched rings. Only thing is...am I running any risk running the duratrac which has a softer sidewalls during normal DD (aired up) driving? I ultimately wish I could find a simulated beadlock that has a ring like the spyderlocks star.

I honestly do not want to go smaller. I actually like the look of the 20s the best but know 17's are more functional...so I said I'd compromise and do 18's. If I do I'll stick with the oem 17s and slap 35's on them, powdercoat black and call it a day like the one pictured.

Any further recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by mastrcruse; 10-05-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-04-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

That looks like a huge pic on my iPad...let me know if it's huge for others and I'll remove
post #5 of 7 Old 04-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Rock God

Get either a 15, 16, or 17" wheel and tire it will cost less, weigh less normally and will ride better onroad.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-05-2014, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks. 15's, 16's are out. If I went 17's I'd keep the wheels I have on it from jeep. How about the packages I listed in the first post? I will be going with 18's or 20's.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Placed my order yesterday for 5 rugged ridge xhd 18x9 in satin black with rock rings. I think it combines the low maintenance of the non beadlock with the look of a beadlock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode