lift and backspacing questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

lift and backspacing questions

I am getting ready to purchase some Incubus rims. The off road edition. They are a 17 x 9. First question....I am wanting to start out with a 33" tire, so can I run with the stock suspension or will it need to be lifted first? Second....I do not totally understand backspacing. Will I need spacers, or not? I like the tires to stick out somewhat from the flares, but I dont want it to look like a tonka truck either. I am on a somewhat limited budget and have been looking at the skyjacker 3.5" standard lift kit with rear track bar brace. Will this be sufficient or is there a better set up? I have never installed a lift kit before, but I am proficient in the garage, so it won't be a problem on the install. From what I have read and the videos I have seen, it should be rather easy. Thanks for the help! Oh yea, I drive a 2011 2 dr sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPJNKY View Post
I am getting ready to purchase some Incubus rims. The off road edition. They are a 17 x 9. First question....I am wanting to start out with a 33" tire, so can I run with the stock suspension or will it need to be lifted first? Second....I do not totally understand backspacing. Will I need spacers, or not? I like the tires to stick out somewhat from the flares, but I dont want it to look like a tonka truck either. I am on a somewhat limited budget and have been looking at the skyjacker 3.5" standard lift kit with rear track bar brace. Will this be sufficient or is there a better set up? I have never installed a lift kit before, but I am proficient in the garage, so it won't be a problem on the install. From what I have read and the videos I have seen, it should be rather easy. Thanks for the help! Oh yea, I drive a 2011 2 dr sport
1..You will not need a lift for 33 however you will need the correct bs so you will not rub in full turn or articulation.
The wheels that you are getting what is the back spacing?
You do not need wheel spacers if you have the correct bs. If the wheels you want have 3.5 to 4.75 of bs they will work.
not sure with skyjackers lift but with other 3.5 you can run up to 37 or larger.

2007 JKU auto 2" budget boost (temporary) 15x8.5 MB TKO wrapped in 35 KM2
SEMPER FI

Last edited by slomo; 02-25-2014 at 06:16 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Stay away from skyjacker. For 33" tires look at a Year Flex budget boost lift which can be done for around 250 bucks. If you want to get into a spring lift look at the Rock Krawler 1.5" lift. With 3.5" of lift you can do 35" easily. As far as backspacing you would be safe with 4.5".

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The wheels have a -12 offset?? If I go with 35's, will I not have to change gear ratios?

Last edited by JEEPJNKY; 02-25-2014 at 06:34 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok, I did some reading through the forums and seen that a -12 offset is equal to a 4.5 bs so that puts me in the ballpark. Now, if I do lift 3.5" and go with 35's, will I not have to change gear ratios? I have the 6 spd trans.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Ok, I did some reading through the forums and seen that a -12 offset is equal to a 4.5 bs so that puts me in the ballpark. Now, if I do lift 3.5" and go with 35's, will I not have to change gear ratios? I have the 6 spd trans.
Depends on gear ratio. If you had a rubicon and 4:10s you would be Ok, but if you have 3:73s - 3:21s you will prob want to re gear.

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #7 of 10 Old 03-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

that's a similar boat that I am in, looking to get 33s on my 16x8 rims with a +10mm offset, bs 4.89 overall
post #8 of 10 Old 03-01-2014, 06:55 PM
JKO Addict!

You don't want a 3.5" lift to run 33" tires, not from anybody.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

I went with a 3.5" lift and 35's on 17x9 with a 4.5" backspace as my initial setup. It was a perfect street/trail combo. Stock 4.10 gearing with a manual transmission. I wish my 4-wheel-low crawl was slower, but other than that it works great.

I later went to a wider stance with 3.5" backspacing because that was the only size the rims I wanted came in.

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #10 of 10 Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Granite Guru

I personally wouldn't spend the coin on a 3.5" lift just to run 35s. my wife is running 35s with just a 2" rough country coil spacer lift and they fit great. now granted, she is not using it for hardcore wheelin so running is a non-issue.

I could see a little more lift benefitting you if you are wheelin it hard.

our jkur has 4.10s and while it's fine around town, it does want to downshift all the time when out on the hwy. we won't be regearing anytime soon since it's just a fun toy for her and our 3rd vehicle.

jmo

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode