JKOwners Forum banner

FNG in Mchigan...

923 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  j3ff3ry_j33p 
#1 ·
Hello......just purchased 2016 jk sport, bare bones completely stock. Looking for 3" lift suggestions.. So much info out there..... confusing!!

#2 ·
Welcome. You might want to tell us how you intend to use your Jeep. There's a lot of misconceptions and misinformation out there. A lot of what a typical Jeep owner wants to do can be accomplished with less than 3" or even zero lift.

I ran 37" MTRs for years with only a 1.25" cheap body lift and some Metalcloak fenders. I clocked over 20k miles offroad in Montana on that setup, and it was super low-buck.

Best of luck.

#4 ·
I had the same goals, and zero to a small lift would likely take you everywhere you wanted to go while retaining much of the factory ride qualities.

Some 37 inch tires of your choice, some high clearance fenders, and you have a pretty low buck (and low center of gravity) build.

Plus it's all stuff you probably want anyway if you decide later that you want a more extreme build.

#6 ·
As for lift kits and your confusion, this is the welcome room so I would suggest opening a new thread in an appropriate section with exactly what you're looking for and where you're confused. And I always suggest searching for your specific questions first. Then when you post up your questions, you can reference the threads you've looked over or lack there of. You will be surprised with the amount of tech on this particular forum.

Oh, and welcome aboard. :beer:

#7 · (Edited)

due to the industry & all of the material readable online, one of the biggest misconceptions about new Jeep ( JKU/JLU, particularly) is that the new owner will have to "get a lift" to overland or access fun offroad trails or obstacles.
This is not 100% accurate ,not at all.

A great first plan is to simply go out & use the Jeep just as you bought it & how Jeep's engineers designed it
OOB these are the most capable machines available.

You may want /like the aesthetics of the larger tiresor the more aggressive look; it is SO much more economically feasible & wise to look at a simple leveling kit such as TeraFlax offers. It'll eliminate the aerodynamic rake the stock Jeep comes with .
Once level, you then research , choose & have your tires of choice installed. A 35" can sit under a JKU or JK with moderate modification.
If you go out & overland only to then discover you would benefit from more up-travel or room, just trim & finish a few inches from the factory ,plastic fenders to accommodate the bigger tires.

A leveling kit is hundreds versus thousand$.

It will also permit more Jeep performance than a rookie learner can make full use of until they advance their skills.

I wheeled the begeezus out of mine for a few learning years with said leveling kit ,35s & trimmed fenders:

As @rich6700 stated , & others will attest-to, you need not jump directly into the lifted coilspring stage until you need to.
Overlanding is what a stock Jeep is designed for.
Especially the 4 doors.

Buy recovery gear and skidplates first. The worst thing you can do is not be independent & having no means of saving yourself or the rig when the inevitable occurs in middle of nowhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.