TJ to JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

TJ to JK

Been stalking here for awhile. Iíve been on wranglerforum for 5+ years. Iím hoping JKOwners has some traffic. I have a heavily modded TJ. Finally ready to sell. Sheís been amazing but Iíve been working hard for years and itís time to treat myself. I had a fairly specific list of needs in mind. Been looking hard for months, maybe a year. Had to fit within a cash sale. I wanted to kind of ride someone elseís dime this time and not build from the ground up.

Iím taking delivery of a 2013 JKUR on Monday. Picking up from one state over. Itís 35k miles, manual, hard top. Custom metallic flake, semi-gloss clear. Has a couple dings and scars. Interior is amazing. Because I enjoy the challenge and the interaction lol. Fairly modded, BDS 6Ē long arm + 1Ē body lift, King bypasses and bump stops, Fox ATS stabilizer, 4.88 regear, factory lockers, Adams front and Rear DSís, CrMo front and rear axle shafts. Smittybilt welded-in fenders on all corners. Not my favorite but Iíve received an extensive video and being a minor fabricator, the work is incredible. Smittybilt Front and rear bumpers and sliders that are not my favorite brand but closed-up to leave no gaps from body lift. Warn Zeon 12-S. Warn + Rigid light bars. 40Ē Nitto M/Tís on 17Ē Method 106 beadlocks. A system that is probably $3-4K. First time in my life that I wonít have to build out a system. Itís got Alpine amps and Alpine shallow subs that I am ecstatic over. Custom box that takes up the back floor. I lose no square footage, only about 8Ē of height. Amps are built in to tailgate. Touchscreen + nav + front and rear cams.

The fact that this dude has been on 40Ē tires in Cali, actually wheeling, and hasnít shredded a 44 diff or a housing helped the sale. He said he babies his stuff and heís not lying. Itís in Sacramento and Iím in Phoenix. I didnít want to ship because itís too much money to deposit in a bank (IRS) and itís too much money to not meet up. He offered an extra $200 off price if I wanted to come to Sacramento. He also offered to drive it down this weekend, as he and his wife are vacationing in San Diego. So Iíll be driving to San Diego. Only a 5-6 hour drive.

Immediate needs are steering. I have access to machining, so Iím gonna build a kit like Fusionís ď2.5 tonĒ kit. 1.75Ē OD 7075 aluminum rod that I will have my friend cut threads inside of, Rare Parts 1.25Ē shank treís with threaded tre inserts, all 4 same sized tapers (Iíll ream pitman). Iím going to use the big bend treís so that this setup can be switched over to a Dana 60 within a year or 2 when Iím ready to build and swap in. Iím skipping the Reid knuckles for this reason. No sense spending the money when I know it can be wheeled. Rare Parts REGULAR ball joints, because Iím not putting $600 ball joints on a temporary axle. DL flip is already flipped with axle side raised TB bracket. Iíll be doing a ram assist setup. Probably go Redhead Steering gear box, stock pump, add a cooler. I have a local source for all my hose and connection needs. Again, this will all transfer to the D60 when the time comes.

Iíll be lining the hard top, being that Iím in Phoenix. I will be personally making sure the AC is cherry. My good friend has a window tint shop that will be done the day after I get back. 5% ceramic all the way around.

Onboard air. ARB twin and a 2 gallon tank. Iíll plumb quick air discos front and rear. Iíd do belt-driven but I have the high power Dewalt 20V Impact Wrench that always goes wheeling with me. Always carry a breaker bar in the daily toolkit.

Seat covers to protect an interior in excellent condition. My dog, Wrangler, will have free roam of the Jeep lol

Iíll probably truss and gusset the axles because itís cheap, easy and a shred more piece of mind.

Thatís about it. Hopefully I can learn and teach on here. Hereís some of the pics that pulled me in...
Attached Images

Last edited by Laggy; 05-16-2019 at 04:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 05:17 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Welcome to JKO.

Good looking jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Looks a bit trashed out. Tailgate is messed up and good dent in the door. Rest is armored so hard to tell. It does not have bypass shocks. Smoothies with clickers. Terrible geometry on the long arm kit. Not a fan of the rare parts TRE's expensive and heavy. I would go with a ruff stuff DIY kit but its your money. 4.88 with 40's is a mismatch but you say you will be going 60's anyway. There will be new wheels needed with tons.
Good luck with the new rig.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 AM
JKO Addict!

That rig was built for looks on the cheap. If it were wheeled it was sparingly or the sliders would be trashed as they are cheap and thin. Not trying to throw water on your parade but you are buying someone else problem vehicle that is going to need nearly everything changed. I hope it was cheap, like 10% under KBB. All the mods on there sans the air compressor are basically worthless.

Some build info here:

post #5 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

fwiw, EVERYONE in the WORLD "babies " thier ________ like no one else in the history of automobiles ever has when it's for sale.

Not that your seller didn't, but just so you know that .

Also, they probably only drove it to church on those Sundays that the weather was nice during.

I always liked those Method wheels. I think they make them in Bronze, too. They look cool scooped, like that imo...

nice platform to get you where ya want to go. Enjoy!

post #6 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Looks a bit trashed out. Tailgate is messed up and good dent in the door. Rest is armored so hard to tell. It does not have bypass shocks. Smoothies with clickers. Terrible geometry on the long arm kit. Not a fan of the rare parts TRE's expensive and heavy. I would go with a ruff stuff DIY kit but its your money. 4.88 with 40's is a mismatch but you say you will be going 60's anyway. There will be new wheels needed with tons.
Good luck with the new rig.
So you hate it? That’s one “No” vote.

I’m trying aluminum linkage on this ride. I have Ruffstuff gear on my F-350 and I like it. My TJ has Currie/Saavy steering with no issues in quite a few years.

Last edited by Laggy; 05-16-2019 at 10:42 AM.
post #7 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
That rig was built for looks on the cheap. If it were wheeled it was sparingly or the sliders would be trashed as they are cheap and thin. Not trying to throw water on your parade but you are buying someone else problem vehicle that is going to need nearly everything changed. I hope it was cheap, like 10% under KBB. All the mods on there sans the air compressor are basically worthless.
Also, I’ll be adding the compressor. You missed that. It’s on the list of what needs adding.

Yes I got a good price on it. Can always resell what I don’t use. Hell, I’m Phoenix, I can flip it if I wanted.

Hell, these Jeeps are under such a permanent pricing bubble. People have such an inflated sense of what the vehicle and the mods are worth. Most people attempt to figure labor they paid into the price.

Last edited by Laggy; 05-16-2019 at 09:52 AM.
post #8 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggy View Post
Tailgate is from bondo cracking for rear vent shave. Before he got it. I know about the dent. I just assumed bypass, original ad said 2.5”. I’m gonna be driving it a lot. 4.88 puts me in green zone with a manual tranny, might be dropping the body lift and going to 38” which puts me even more in the green “back to stock acceleration” zone. Good thing I know how to regear if I really had to.

You mean bolt pattern changes with 1-ton axles? Weird.

you can find the occasional or odd-order option for Dynatrac , TeraFlex and maybe Currie where they offer 5 lug pattern options /Unit-bearings on a full-size axle but why? those are dainty little unitborn hubs and lugs for so much weight and potential torque when you consider you'll be getting the V8 that can move 1-tons around after a year of not being able to accelerate onto onramps with such heavy housings...

post #9 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
fwiw, EVERYONE in the WORLD "babies " thier ________ like no one else in the history of automobiles ever has when it's for sale.

Not that your seller didn't, but just so you know that .

Also, they probably only drove it to church on those Sundays that the weather was nice during.

I always liked those Method wheels. I think they make them in Bronze, too. They look cool scooped, like that imo...

nice platform to get you where ya want to go. Enjoy!
Thanks man!

I have bronze racelines on a white 1995 RCLB F-350. They look spectacular.

Btw I just assumed he had to somewhat take it easy + be lucky to have 40’s on a D44 and not destroy anything. Patience can get a lot of vehicles pretty far back where other people would destroy them. But he’s wheeled the piss out of it too. He showed me the original paint-matched hard top that he trashed. Took out the rear corner.

The stock steering has suffered and needs to be replaced at 35k miles. So the tires sent the pain somewhere...

Last edited by Laggy; 05-16-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #10 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
you can find the occasional or odd-order option for Dynatrac , TeraFlex and maybe Currie where they offer 5 lug pattern options /Unit-bearings on a full-size axle but why? those are dainty little unitborn hubs and lugs for so much weight and potential torque when you consider you'll be getting the V8 that can move 1-tons around after a year of not being able to accelerate onto onramps with such heavy housings...
I donít know why anyone would.
post #11 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

And yes those sliders suck. I would never buy smittybilt but theyíre on there for now. Someone in Phoenix will buy the sliders and the bumpers lol. Guaranteed.
post #12 of 30 Old 05-17-2019, 05:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Immediate needs are steering. I have access to machining, so Iím gonna build a kit like Fusionís ď2.5 tonĒ kit. 1.75Ē OD 7075 aluminum rod that I will have my friend cut threads inside of, Rare Parts 1.25Ē shank treís with threaded tre inserts, all 4 same sized tapers (Iíll ream pitman). Iím going to use the big bend treís so that this setup can be switched over to a Dana 60 within a year or 2 when Iím ready to build and swap in.
go check out Wide Open Design for your 7075 tube. You can buy it in the length you need, already cut drilled and tapped. Killer prices. I doubt you could source the aluminum and do the machining yourself at less than their price shipped.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #13 of 30 Old 05-17-2019, 11:51 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
<snip>

I’ll be lining the hard top, being that I’m in Phoenix. I will be personally making sure the AC is cherry. My good friend has a window tint shop that will be done the day after I get back. 5% ceramic all the way around.

<snip>
I was going to insulate my hard top, but then I did this:

Painting just the top surface of the hard top white made an incredible difference in interior temperature. Most people never even notice the white section. Since Phoenix is (seemingly) only ~1/4 mile from the surface of the sun , you may want to add that to your bag of tricks.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #14 of 30 Old 05-17-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
go check out Wide Open Design for your 7075 tube. You can buy it in the length you need, already cut drilled and tapped. Killer prices. I doubt you could source the aluminum and do the machining yourself at less than their price shipped.
🙏🏻 Thanks man.

Stumbled on them last night. Good source. This does look to be my best option.

The problem at my shop is the big lathe is down, the small lathe canít fit the stock for tie rod length and the multi axis cnc is about to be gone.
post #15 of 30 Old 05-17-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post

Painting just the top surface of the hard top white made an incredible difference in interior temperature. Most people never even notice the white section. Since Phoenix is (seemingly) only ~1/4 mile from the surface of the sun , you may want to add that to your bag of tricks.
Science.

Thatís pretty simple genius.
post #16 of 30 Old 05-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Science.

Thatís pretty simple genius.
I knew it would do some good, but it blew away my expectations

There used to be a top layer of 140 degree air in the cabin when left closed up, and I could still feel the radiant heat baking my head even after the "oven air" cleared out. Since doing that, I've never had a single agonizing experience when jumping in after it's sat closed up in direct sunlight.

Note: I only did rattle-can paint, and it needs a re-do every 2-3 years. If you use actual catalyzed paint, it would last as long as any other "real" paint. Tradeoff = rattle-can job is mac-n-cheese cheap and pretty easy to re-do or touch up.

Here's a bit more info. that I'm too lazy to re-type:

Quote:
Got a pack of cards you don't mind trashing? This absolutely kicks ass to mask off the rubber gasket on the hard top come rattle can time.
A few months back, I realized that my white Krylon job (good for 2 years in the sun) was 3+ years old.
That pretty much explained why the white area of the top was looking beat to shit and whitewashing the sides of the hard top.

Brang fahhhrrrrkin' noo! 3 coats of satin bright white and (I went fancy this time) 2 coats of satin clear over the white part of the top.

Hope your new Jeep is a good deal for you & a good fit for your needs
j3ff3ry_j33p and Laggy like this.

The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

post #17 of 30 Old 05-17-2019, 10:16 PM
JKO Addict!

I did the same thing to my black F450 when I moved to Nevada. White roof helped quite a bit.

Some build info here:

post #18 of 30 Old 05-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

i'll say it again & again; man, I like your Jeep.
ExWrench likes this.

post #19 of 30 Old 05-18-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I did the same thing to my black F450 when I moved to Nevada. White roof helped quite a bit.
I used to clown on ugly YJís and TJ Saharaís with white tops. Jokeís on me.

Iíll just put a bunch of tinfoil up there. Seems to work on windows in trailer parks!
post #20 of 30 Old 05-18-2019, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I used to clown on ugly YJís and TJ Saharaís with white tops. Jokeís on me.

Iíll just put a bunch of tinfoil up there. Seems to work on windows in trailer parks!
the Sun'll be like,

post #21 of 30 Old 05-20-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
the Sun'll be like,

I feel like this is the Level99 analog of TPíing a house.
post #22 of 30 Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Home sweet home. For better or for worse, it’s mine now. It’s a beast.

I’ll make a build thread. Thanks for the welcomes and the honesty. Would expect nothing less.

Got some nice pics at the entrance to Glamis. Love the drive from Gila Bend to San Diego. In the mtns before SD, it dropped to 40į with dusting of snow at Jacumba/Pine Valley area. So sick. 75į on the ocean at La Jolla for the deal.

For what it’s worth, the dude is solid. Couldn’t have asked for a more chill dude from Cali lol

Last edited by Laggy; 05-20-2019 at 10:27 PM.
post #23 of 30 Old 05-21-2019, 08:53 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Home sweet home. For better or for worse, itís mine now. Itís a beast.

Iíll make a build thread. Thanks for the welcomes and the honesty. Would expect nothing less.

Got some nice pics at the entrance to Glamis. Love the drive from Gila Bend to San Diego. In the mtns before SD, it dropped to 40į with dusting of snow at Jacumba/Pine Valley area. So sick. 75į on the ocean at La Jolla for the deal.

For what itís worth, the dude is solid. Couldnít have asked for a more chill dude from Cali lol
Glad to hear your new Jeep is off to a happy start!

Once you get your build thread started, drop a link to it in this thread.

In the meantime . . .
pics?

post #24 of 30 Old 05-21-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Glad to hear your new Jeep is off to a happy start!

Once you get your build thread started, drop a link to it in this thread.

In the meantime . . .
pics?
Definitely not perfect, but the interior is cherry, engine purrs (throwout bearing does NOT purr).

Many of it's needs are easy things that simply require adjusting, readjusting or weren't set up properly. It's got good bones though. As any Jeep, much money will be thrown at it lol. I need to go wheel this pig!
Attached Images

j3ff3ry_j33p and ExWrench like this.
post #25 of 30 Old 05-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

ya know, I usually am not a fan of that particular set of body armor, however , painting that right-bits of it the body's color changes it a lot. I like that w/ just the black-trim bits on it painted like that.
ExWrench and Laggy like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode