Greetings all! I'm new and I have a question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Eva Jansson Varnju
  • 1 Post By snout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-29-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Greetings all! I'm new and I have a question

Hello! I'm a new JK owner and I'm still getting my proverbial feet under me. I own a 2018 JK Sport S named Flint Ironstag (obviously, only the most noble of names will do). I've owned him for four months and have been off-road driving every weekend until the weather starting turning bad. It's something I loved to do as a kid with my dad and I'm so excited to be able to do it again, but this time behind the driver's seat. I'm still learning a great deal about this new hobby and have been absorbing as much information as I can as quickly as I can. I may have some pretty basic questions sometimes, so bear with me

My first question is: would I have any issues with 265/70R/17s (BFG K02s)? I got new, better tires last week and the shop put 275/70R/17s on, assuring me that it's very unlikely to cause any problems. The stock tire is 255/75r17. Unfortunately, I've encountered a little bit of rubbing with the wider tires. They're going to swap them out for me, but I want to make sure I've selected the right size, since I went with the shop's suggestion (of tire size, not tire type) last time and it didn't quite work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-29-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I believe it is the lower control arm. I'm learning my vehicles components, but that appears to be it. I'm inclined to go with the 265/70r17s and if there is still any rubbing I can look into adjusting it. I don't want to go with a tire much smaller than that.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-30-2018, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

well, Eva , you’ve landed yourself and ‘ Flint Ironsides’ in the right place. Welcome to JKO

On your “ will it fit “ question, do a google-search but limit results to this domain by entering something similar to “ 265/70r17 will it fit site:jkowners.com “ , w/out quotation marks, of course.

Fwiw, my first upgrade tire wise was a move to 265/75r16s or maybe they were 265/70r16s on my 4 door back 7 yrs ago (!) ...I had to add a spacer nut to the steering stops , trim the air valance ( the plastic air dam that’s useless ) a bit on each side & toss a TeraFlex Levelling Kit on her . At most acute turning radius , I’d still get a very light kiss of the tires inner edge on the front lower control arm outside edge (the bit visible just behind tire in wheelwell) but aside from a lil scuff Mark, no operational impediment. I loved those tires.

You shouldn’t over complicate the tire fit to death. There’s always a way to accommodate whatever size and someone has already attempted even the most preposterous idea you can conceive of, so go for it !

You’re immediately gonna want the next,larger size whatever you do windup getting, it’s worth noting.

Have fun

EDIT: I am getting old I think; my memory failed me on this one. Hile I am glad it workerd-out for the OP, I will amend the above comment and properly update this with the fact that they were 315/75r16s that I first updated my JKU tires to . Not important but for factual data integrity , I felt it worth mentioning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 11-01-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-30-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the kind welcome and the helpful advice. I have added a couple of washers to the steering stops and that seems to have fixed my problem. It was actually rubbing on the sway bar and I can't find any other point of contact. The fix was super easy to figure out and I was done in just a couple minutes. I'm glad I don't have to switch them out for narrower tires, because I really do like the ones I got. Thanks again--y'all saved me a trip back to the tire store for a set of tires I'm less enthusiastic about.

Here's Flint Ironstag with his new tires (if the damn photo will load). He may be stock, but he's handsome!
Attached Images

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-30-2018, 09:07 PM
you can go piss up a rope

And on the right, you can see Sasquatch's balls
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-30-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Haha!! It doesn't help that they are purple.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-31-2018, 12:19 PM
you can go piss up a rope

You'll fit right in here.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode