First time Wrangler owner - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-05-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

First time Wrangler owner

Hey all - I've got a 2010 jk sahara that I've been daily driving here in norther MI since last summer and feel like I finally have a vehicle that's made for me. I haven't done anything very cool with it yet but one of these days when I have more time and tolerance from my wife (who loves it too) I'd like to start tinkering around with it and make it a little more trail friendly.

I do have a mechanical question that stimulated my joining of this forum, and if anyone could help or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I had a couple leaky axle seals in the rear and decided to just order a pair of new fully assembled rear axles while I had everything apart anyway. Long story short I took the cover off the diff to find chipped up spider gears and metal shavings through out. If money were no object would regear (r&p) front and back along with a few other things, but money is a bit tight (especially after getting new axles instead of just getting new bearings) and getting her back on the road is my primary objective at the moment. So my plan WAS to rebuild the carrier and clutch pack (dana 44 30 spline 3.73 non-rubi w/ lsd), but the rebuild kit is in the $350-400 range which isn't much less than a new Detroit Truetrac lsd, which I hear is an upgrade from the stock lsd. My main question is: is there any reason I should NOT get the detroit lsd and just rebuild the one I have? Also, is there anything obvious that I'm missing? I've never had a rear end apart like this but so far it actually seems pretty simple.

Full disclosure - I know just about enough about cars to be dangerous and have more courage than knowledge sometimes, but I'm trying to recognize my mechanical limits and ask questions BEFORE I break things instead of after. If there is more to do with the this job other than pull the old carrier out and plug the new one in (I'm thinking shimming, using micrometers, etc.), I might be over my head.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-05-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Also wondering if just changing the rear diff without touching the front would cause any issues. To be clear, I just want to change out the stock lsd for a new detroit truetrac while keeping the same gears.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Granite Guru

You can change the carrier without any issues. You just have to check the backlash and possibly resetting it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode