New to Jeep Modding - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-2018, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question New to Jeep Modding

I just picked up a 2018 JKU Sport and I am planning the perfect on-road build that can do some light to descent off-roading and some beach driving. Although this is my second jeep (the first being a 2015 Rubicon I leased), I am new to the performance modding world.

Looking for recommendations on parts and modifications.

Current build plan:
2.5 inch lift (nitro shocks)
20x12 wheels (open to different suggestions) wrapped in 35" tires
Forced induction until I can afford a Hellcat swap.

This are the specs I am pretty set on so far, but open to all suggestions.

Main goal is to gain on-road performance and comfortable enough to be a daily driver.

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-04-2018, 02:22 PM
Rock God

Welcome To JKOwners
post #3 of 8 Old 07-05-2018, 07:06 AM
JKO Addict!

kill the 20x12 wheels, they are no good on a jeep.17"x9" is as big as you should go. Cost, tire choices, ride quality, off road performance, people laughing, wear and tear on your front axle, clearance issues, scrub radius.

Shocks with adjusters would be a good thing to research so you can change the settings for on road and off. 10" travel should be plenty. Consider on board air for inflating tires after wheeling. When running in sand you want to be down around 8 psi.

Look at metal cloak for your lift and don't cheap out there. Make sure you get a complete kit with adjustable everything including steering. Your drive lines should be fine and you really don't need to look into aftermarket driveshafts. Look into the exhaust mod for extra clearance for front driveline droop .Do some C gussets. You can upgrade the axles once you put that motor in.The factory motor with 35's is plenty of power. No need for engine mods.

Good luck with the build.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-07-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Welcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob's-07JUNK View Post
Welcome To JKOwners
Thanks!
post #5 of 8 Old 07-07-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
kill the 20x12 wheels, they are no good on a jeep.17"x9" is as big as you should go. Cost, tire choices, ride quality, off road performance, people laughing, wear and tear on your front axle, clearance issues, scrub radius.

Shocks with adjusters would be a good thing to research so you can change the settings for on road and off. 10" travel should be plenty. Consider on board air for inflating tires after wheeling. When running in sand you want to be down around 8 psi.

Look at metal cloak for your lift and don't cheap out there. Make sure you get a complete kit with adjustable everything including steering. Your drive lines should be fine and you really don't need to look into aftermarket driveshafts. Look into the exhaust mod for extra clearance for front driveline droop .Do some C gussets. You can upgrade the axles once you put that motor in.The factory motor with 35's is plenty of power. No need for engine mods.

Good luck with the build.
Thanks @thedirtman ,

Will I be able to fit a big brake kit in 17's? I wanted to go wider for on road stability, what do you think?

Thanks for the other info! I am coming from a corvette and miss my power... that's why I want to do power upgrades.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 PM

I have 20x9.5s without much offset on 35s and dirtman is right because in 3 months they killed my front and rear wheel-bearings.
I only have a 3.8 and my other dd is a scat pack challenger... it takes some getting used to when you want to pass someone lol

08 JKUX Stock for now
post #7 of 8 Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Ringel View Post
Thanks @thedirtman ,

Will I be able to fit a big brake kit in 17's? I wanted to go wider for on road stability, what do you think?

Thanks for the other info! I am coming from a corvette and miss my power... that's why I want to do power upgrades.
Yeah you'll be able to fit a BBKit with 17s, make sure you have enough backspacing though. To gain your power back your first priority should be a re-gear.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #8 of 8 Old 07-10-2018, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

welcome to the forum.

Your prescription could be filled with 35s, some nice 17” , 4.5” backspaced wheels and a leveling kit or nice 1” front / .75” rear poly spacer lift that’d eliminate factory rake. Then you can gusset the C’s and boom; you can daily drive then hit moderate trails all year long on your weekends w/ out goofing your jeep up .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode