2dr or 4dr - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

2dr or 4dr

I am in Afghanistan at the current moment. but I plan on taking a small portion of my deployment money and getting a jeep and a few mods come august or so. At first I was certain I was going to get a 2dr.... but after looking for awhile I really like the 4dr. I love how it looks. Plus, there is the extra room and the longer wheel base but not the extra money as much. What I was wondering from you all is what are the positives and negatives to each in your off-roading opinion. Thanks for the comments ahead of time. And sorry if I can't get back to your posts right away... I get a lil busy out here sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 04:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPM0000 View Post
I am in Afghanistan at the current moment. but I plan on taking a small portion of my deployment money and getting a jeep and a few mods come august or so. At first I was certain I was going to get a 2dr.... but after looking for awhile I really like the 4dr. I love how it looks. Plus, there is the extra room and the longer wheel base but not the extra money as much. What I was wondering from you all is what are the positives and negatives to each in your off-roading opinion. Thanks for the comments ahead of time. And sorry if I can't get back to your posts right away... I get a lil busy out here sometimes.
Welcome and Thank you for your service for our country

In response to your 2dr or 4dr question. Since you stated " I really like the 4dr. I love how it looks." I think you want the 4dr

I love my 2dr and they are both fully capable off-road. But I do kinda wish now I would have gotten a 4dr but I'm not worried, has room for the wife and the dog.

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 04:35 AM
Wheeler

While I haven't purchased my Jeep yet (2 weeks out), I am in much the same position as you regarding which model to get. Like you, I was sure I was going to get a 2DR when I started this process. But after reading stuff here and at another forum, I've come to the decision that the 4DR is the way I'm going to go. Here are some of the reasons that I've decided on and that others have tossed my way:

If you have kids or are going to have kids, the 4DR is easier to deal with car seats and such than the 2DR.

If you're going to be wheeling tight, tough trails with a lot of sharp crests then the 2DR is probably more what you want.

If you want more stability and to be more able to handle steep inclines going up and coming down, the 4DR is more capable and stable.

If you don't want to spend as much money over the course of the Jeep's lifetime, get the 2DR. Alot of mods are more expensive for the 4DR.

Obviously the 4DR has more cargo room than the 2DR but neither is going to haul a mattress or a couch in the back...

It really just comes down to what you need it to do and what you want it to do. I'd just sit down and seriously think about what you want out of a Jeep and go with what that tells you. You know better than anyone here what your needs are. Will it be your DD (daily driver) or is going to be just a trail machine? Hope this helps a little bit. And good luck in Afghanistan, man. Come home safely... And oh yeah... thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybrdng View Post
But I do kinda wish now I would have gotten a 4dr but I'm not worried, has room for the wife and the dog.
And one other thing that I've read a couple times in both the forums I frequent... I've never seen anyone who bought the 4DR say "Damn, I wish I'd bought the 2DR." Can't say the same about the 2DR...

It is what it is... So IT had better be damn good...

Last edited by TheDozarian; 04-07-2010 at 04:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 05:37 AM
Rock God

welcome to jko, thank you for your service..

I have a 4dr and just love it.. I bought mine cause I have a family, even my 3yo daughter loves the jeep.. Its great off-road, after its been modified.

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

post #5 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 06:21 AM
Granite Guru

Welcome and thanks for your service!

When putting the soft top up or down I wish I had the 2dr. With that being said, I dont have to do it often.

I went with the 4dr because the wife and I are working on an addition to the family. I like the way the 2dr looks a little better but still love how my jeep looks and am very happy with my 4dr, the extra storage doesnt hurt.

Also going to the beach this year a couple times, each with another couple will allow me to still take the jeep because I dont feel bad about them riding in the back for three hours.

Whatever your decision Im sure you will be happy with it and congrats on the soon to be JK.

2007 Sahara Unlimited. Zone 3" lift. JKS adjustable front track bar, Fox steering stabalizer, Crown kevlar brake lines, MBRP grill guard w/PIAAs. pistol grip Hurst shifter. Spiderweb sun shade. Homemade "raingler" style rear and side nets. Flowmaster Super 40. Stock 17" wheels. 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. DVD/Nav head unit. MBRP stubby w/ mm winch. PJ stubby rear.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Rock God

<<<<[email protected]@k here at my avatar and go with a 2DR if you don't have kids. hooahhhh.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #7 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the warm welcomes. And thanks for the insight on a few things I didn't think of yet. Like the fact that some parts are more expensive for the 4dr and also trips with 4 people. I think I am going to go with the 4dr.

I am a noobie but long long time car enthusiast. I use to be a transmission and drivetrain mechanic at a dealership for a few years before I joined the army and it is my favorite hobby. I don't like to buy small, then re buy when I want better so I was thinking of getting first thing the Rock Krawler 5.5 X factor with coilover suspension lift. I am still working on figuring out a wheel and tire combo. But I am wanting to get some bead locks. And still have to do research on what all I need to buy with the lift kit to make it solid. Plus I think I need to get new driveshafts... but like I said I still have to do some more research. My next real question is what do you think are the important first standard upgrades?
post #8 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Rock God

I wouldn't have gotten a wrangler if it wasn't for the 4dr ones (had an XJ before). I'm single with no kids, yet at some point I want a family. I didn't want to spend however much getting my jeep the way I want it, only to have to sell it to get a 4dr. Neither did I want more than 2 vehicles in my driveway (my 300z & my 4x4).

The 4dr allows me to be a jeep owner, have a 4x4 that I can go wheeling with, and a practical vehicle at the same time. It also has a shit load of room, and the long wheel base is great on road trips.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #9 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Granite Guru

I have the 4dr and love it. I take a guys trip every year and with the 4 dr, it has plenty of room in the back for gear espeically when you put the seats down. Obviously the soft top doesnt lay down as flat than the two door due to the excess material, but thats not a big deal. A big plus is that the back seats are full size and can fit 2 grown ups alot better than the 2dr. They both have their positives and negatives. I'd say when you get back to test drive both and see how you like them.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]2009 Wrangler Unlimited Rubi
post #10 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 07:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The only time I wish I had a 4 door is on steep climbs.

They do look cool though.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #11 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

I have a 2 year old and only kind of regret buying a 2 door. Sure, it's a pain to put him in his seat, but I'm in decent shape and can get it done. See you back soon, here's my rig stock.

Stay safe, Airborne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #12 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 AM
JKO Addict!

I bought the 4dr because I thought they looked cool, never intended it to become what it has today, but I can't be happier.
Attached Images

JKUS Sort of

Last edited by MR LIKA; 04-07-2010 at 07:50 AM.
post #13 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 09:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR LIKA View Post
I bought the 4dr because I thought they looked cool, never intended it to become what it has today, but I can't be happier.
Lovin' the reverse rake.

Quote:
post #14 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker View Post
Lovin' the reverse rake.
That will change with the Hemi JSS is putting in today.

JKUS Sort of
post #15 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 09:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPM0000 View Post
You could get thousands of opinionative replies on a thread like this, bottom-line?...It's really up to you, your taste, needs, etc. Of course a 4dr is great for families and for steep hill climbs, blah blah blah, while 2drs have a sharper turning radius and hold to the original jeep tradition, just depends on what you prefer. We have both in our family and enjoy them both.

Thanks for serving BTW, from a fellow Veteran!
post #16 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

first off, thanks for your service!

i vote for getting a 2 door. if you're making a road trip in a jeep, you're doing it in the wrong vehicle. tight turning radius is awesome, taking the top off is easier, less doors to take off and store, lots of aftermarket stuff is cheaper (usually not by much, but still). if you haul stuff randomly/not often invest in a small trailer.

also, i drove both when i got mine and im pretty sure theres a noticeable difference in acceleration because of the added weight of the 4 door.

i do want to point out that i did drive to miami from NE GA (about a 12+ hour trip) with four ppl and a cat + a weeks worth of luggage in a 2 door. it can be done.

good luck on your hunt, and get what YOU want.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #17 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Lovin' the reverse rake.
....ouch.

Quote:
....OUCH!

Welcome to jkowners and thank you for serving. Please stay safe over there.

Sounds like you are already leaning towards the 4 door. Like terrahawk said- It's much more stable to have a longer wheelbase on steep hill-climbs. I do like my 2 door however, on tight, sharp trails. It is easier to navigate through some conditions on road and off.

For anyone with family, kids, a lot of gear, etc....going with the 4 door is a no-brainer.....and again, you will have an advantage going up steep hills and ledges.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #18 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
:quietly tucks tail:

Quote:
post #19 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Granite Guru

4 door forgetaboutit!
Welcome to the fold!
Thanks for your service, Semper Fi.

American, Gun owning, God fear'n, Veteran, and I'm offended that you're offended.
post #20 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

the 2 door is way better, buy mine.
i love the 2 door for wheeling, but it sucks having no room. im actually selling it to get a 4 door, our first baby will be here in less than a month and theres no room in a 2 door for a baby seat

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #21 of 30 Old 04-07-2010, 05:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome to JKO!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #22 of 30 Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Love the Jeep. That is pretty much where I want to get my jeep to.
post #23 of 30 Old 04-08-2010, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I have a 2 year old and only kind of regret buying a 2 door. Sure, it's a pain to put him in his seat, but I'm in decent shape and can get it done. See you back soon, here's my rig stock.

Stay safe, Airborne.
Haha... I am actually 82nd also. 4BCT. 1/508 PIR. And I am also from Texas... But the Dallas area. Small world.
post #24 of 30 Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Sweet! You'll love it.
post #25 of 30 Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Granite Guru

Some one wrote, "I've never seen anyone who bought the 4DR say "Damn, I wish I'd bought the 2DR." Well I guess I'm the first then.

Drove my first jeep on a vacation in 2002 and was in love with Jeep since then. Wife and I bought Liberty years later, and then in 07 I bought a 4dr JK Sahara. While was my first love (after my wife) had to say that she's standing next to me ... my 2010 2dr Rubicon is my obsession! My wife hates it, she says she gets "it a jeep thing" but really?

The kids are gone and it's always just me, so I was tired of looking at the extra doors and besides, I like the control I have on the rocks and in tight areas. I have plenty of room for me and when the grandkids are with me, they like the top off in the back! When they get bigger the can buy their own and I'll help them buy one.

I've owned both. It’s really all about preference.

2015 JKU Copper-Brown Rubicon (aka: No Name Yet)
24-yrs Air Force Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode