Newbie from NV - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Newbie from NV

Just joined the other day but, I've been lurking for quite a while.

I work in the parts department at the local Jeep dealership and a lot of my customers tell me about jkowners.com. Great site you have here. Tons of useful information.

I currently own a couple of Jeeps.

2006 TJ X 3.5" RE Lift, 33" BFG's(She's for sale now. ):

The "for sale" pic :

1998 XJ Sport 3.5" RE Superflex, 32" Kuhmos (Not for sale. Well, not soon anyway. That will probably change next year)

So, it looks like I'll be back to owning only 1 rig again soon. Hopefully, if everything goes as planned, I'll be pulling the trigger on a Rubicon Unlimited sometime next year. I'm already planning the build .

My Dad bought his 08 JK in December of 07 using the Chrysler family discount. He liked riding around in my TJ when the family was out here for my wedding. So, he went down to a dealer in NC....

Pops' 2008 JK X (located in Southside VA):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome to JKO. Awesome username.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks.
Been using it on various boards for over 5 years. Even have a variation of it on my licence plates (72VA1, 72VA2)
I'll probably go with my call sign (KF7BXD) if I end up getting the JK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 01-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to NYJKGUY

Welcome to JKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
i dont really want to look at filthy girls anyway
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 01-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

What's up bud!

Long time no see. I haven't been on Reno4x4 in a while but I stick around here to provide entertainment.
post #6 of 28 Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome, good looking jeeps
post #7 of 28 Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Welcome to JKO. I'm also from the southside VA. Looks like your Dad jumped in feet first. Nice looking Jeeps you both have there. I like the pic over looking some city. Enjoy and Happy Trails.

'07 Rubicon- BFG 35s MUD/TERRAIN KM2-Mickey Thompson Classic II -K&N Intake- Warn Elite front bumper - Warn ZEON 8s winch, American Rebel HD diff. cover
post #8 of 28 Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
What's up bud!

Long time no see. I haven't been on Reno4x4 in a while but I stick around here to provide entertainment.
Holy shit Mike, long time no see!

You need to stop in some time and say hello.
post #9 of 28 Old 01-22-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock Rubi View Post
Welcome to JKO. I'm also from the southside VA. Looks like your Dad jumped in feet first. Nice looking Jeeps you both have there. I like the pic over looking some city. Enjoy and Happy Trails.
He used to have an old CJ when he worked in the mines. Then he owned a 79 Cherokee for a while in the mid-80's

He loves his JK. Mom hates it.

BTW...Where are you located?
post #10 of 28 Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just ponied up the $20 for the site.

Now that I helped pay for the fire department, do I get to play with the fire truck?
post #11 of 28 Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome to JKO.

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #12 of 28 Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Rock God

welcome to jko

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 28 Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the welcomes.

I've tried several searches on here and I'm looking for any threads about dual band set ups.

I removed the Yaesu-8800 from the TJ and I'll install it in the XJ for now. I would like to see set ups in JK's though.
post #14 of 28 Old 01-29-2010, 11:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

one more Welcome to JKO virginians

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #15 of 28 Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

another welcome to jkowners

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #16 of 28 Old 01-30-2010, 06:00 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Virginians View Post
I've tried several searches on here and I'm looking for any threads about dual band set ups. I removed the Yaesu-8800 from the TJ and I'll install it in the XJ for now. I would like to see set ups in JK's though.
I'm running an Icom 2720 and mounted the box up high on the drivers side footwell. I think there is some pictures in the electrical tech section. You may want to search using CB or just radio and leave out the dual band. I am in Reno more than usual lately so next time I'm in the area I'll swing by and show you how I installed the Icom.
post #17 of 28 Old 01-30-2010, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
I'm running an Icom 2720 and mounted the box up high on the drivers side footwell. I think there is some pictures in the electrical tech section. You may want to search using CB or just radio and leave out the dual band. I am in Reno more than usual lately so next time I'm in the area I'll swing by and show you how I installed the Icom.
That would be cool. I'm usually hiding on the back counter these days. Sometimes I make a cameo appearance up front.

I have a Yaesu 8800 that I ran in the TJ. I'll probably have that one set up in the XJ for now and move it whenever we decide to pull the trigger on a JK. I'll do another search and take a look. Thanks.
post #18 of 28 Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Looks like the TJ is as good as sold. Waiting for the title to come in so we can do the deal.

I'll miss the TJ. Problem free rig that was the first new vehicle I bought. For now, the XJ will be back to full time OHV duty.

I had to get creative with this deal. Basically, I'm getting cash plus another Jeep.
1975 CJ5 304, 3 -speed

I'll have this one up for sale in the spring.

The wife and I are going to lay low this year and put money away, pay off a few bills, do some landscaping, and make no major purchases.

Next year, if the economy looks better, I'll be looking for a JK Rubicon Unlimited. And yes, I've started building my "dream list".
post #19 of 28 Old 02-11-2010, 08:02 AM
JKowners Vendor

Welcome! I am NOT a virginian.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #20 of 28 Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Granite Guru

Welcome. Nice looking family of Jeeps.
post #21 of 28 Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys!

The other night I drove a customer's 2010 JK Rubicon home to test out the gear install.

RE 3.5", 35's and 5.38 Yukons (Yes, we're a mod friendly dealer and do A LOT of aftermarket accessory installs). The 3.8 didn't feel "pokey" at all. Looks like another thing to add to my JK "dream list".
post #22 of 28 Old 02-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thanks guys!

The other night I drove a customer's 2010 JK Rubicon home to test out the gear install.

RE 3.5", 35's and 5.38 Yukons (Yes, we're a mod friendly dealer and do A LOT of aftermarket accessory installs). The 3.8 didn't feel "pokey" at all. Looks like another thing to add to my JK "dream list".
Welcome Justin, yup you guys did my lift install and the dealership is very Jeep-mod friendly.

How much for the 5.38 gear install? Did you supply the gears or did the customer bring them in?

With all your contacts in the Jeep world I think the dealership should give you a "Demo" JK to take to local events to drum up business!!!

08 JKUR 6.5" lift, 40" MTR's ...
post #23 of 28 Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitta View Post
Welcome Justin, yup you guys did my lift install and the dealership is very Jeep-mod friendly.

How much for the 5.38 gear install? Did you supply the gears or did the customer bring them in?

With all your contacts in the Jeep world I think the dealership should give you a "Demo" JK to take to local events to drum up business!!!
We bought them from ORI. Don is great to work with BTW.
Anyway 5.38, install kits, Red Line 75/140, AEV ProCal module, freight (Don had to order. If we do more installs, he'll have them on the shelf ready to go), labor, and tax came to around $1720.

I wish they would let me have a demo from time to time. I could probably get 2-3 people a month for sales. But, alas, I work in parts. No respect.
post #24 of 28 Old 02-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
We bought them from ORI. Don is great to work with BTW.
Anyway 5.38, install kits, Red Line 75/140, AEV ProCal module, freight (Don had to order. If we do more installs, he'll have them on the shelf ready to go), labor, and tax came to around $1720.

I wish they would let me have a demo from time to time. I could probably get 2-3 people a month for sales. But, alas, I work in parts. No respect.
Don has always done me right, he is great to work with! I'll keep the gears in mind, I'm thinking of gettting some 37's and I would definitely want to change out the gears.

08 JKUR 6.5" lift, 40" MTR's ...
post #25 of 28 Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitta View Post
Don has always done me right, he is great to work with! I'll keep the gears in mind, I'm thinking of gettting some 37's and I would definitely want to change out the gears.
Don has another set on order for us. BTW, the install is also covered by our 3yr/50k mile warranty.

One of Dan's customers just bought a 2010 Rubi 2 door and he definitely wants a 3.5-4" lift, 35's and 5.38's. He's just trying to decide which kit he wants to go with. He called back yesterday wanting info on bumpers. I think he might be going with the AEV front and rear. Not sure about the tire carrier though. Trying to see if OR Fab's carrier will look good and function with AEV's rear bumper. Let's see what happens.
THEN, we have a couple of JK's on the lot that we're lifting on Monday. 2 door Charcoal Sport with AEV Argent Pintlers and 4 door blue Sport with AEV Silver Pintlers (Or maybe the MT Classic II's. Haven't decided yet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode