Potential Unlimited Owner from MD - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Potential Unlimited Owner from MD

Hey guys,

My name's Greg and I live near Baltimore. My wife and I found out we're expecting and have to get rid of our little sports car. I still want something fun and I'm in love with Unlimited JKs. I'm a former TJ owner, and I still regret getting rid of the Jeep. Everytime I see one it pulls on my heart strings more than any other car I've purchased since. I've had a bunch of fairly nice cars, and none of them hold a candle to the Jeeps.

So..... is the JK Unlimited a decent car for a small family? I haven't even driven one yet. I'm thinking one with a hardtop just cause and infant might enjoy the peace and quiet? With a Trektop for summer? Primary baby car will be an Audi A4. Ride too harsh for babies? Gas mileage I see online of 16-19 mpg real?

Thanks for a great forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Whatever you do, don't put bigger tires on it...you might bend the axles.

Vidi, vici, veni
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #3 of 18 Old 01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Rock God

welcome to jko.

we bought our jku when our daughter was 5mos old. she loves it.. we didnt take her offroad till she was 18mos. the wind noise or even the vibration from the 33" mtz's didnt bother her from sleeping in the jeep. in fact i think that it helped..

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome to JKO.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
Whatever you do, don't put bigger tires on it...you might bend the axles.
LMAO!!

Welcome to JKO--the forum for grown-ups! I love the ride of the 4-door, but both of my kids were born (almost literally) in TJ's, so 4-door JK feels like a Cadillac by comparison. I really liked the fact that the carseat fits very nicely in the center of the 4-door's backseat, unlike two-doors. And the 4-door is no slouch on the trail either. Not that I recommend this for everyone, but I had the special head support to add to the carseat, and took my kids on gentle trails from a very young age. My 4-door is a hard top (freedom top). Compared to other Wranglers, it's very nice and quiet: listen to your iPod, talk on the phone, carry on a nice conversation--but then, I am used to Jeeps where you can't carry on a conversation with other people in the Jeep at highway speeds, let alone hear the stereo or the phone ring.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #6 of 18 Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Granite Guru

Welcome to JKO Greg!
As far as the hard top, I don't know how much quieter they are, I have a soft top... but if you've had a jeep, then I'm sure you'll love the JK!
Congrats on joining and on the baby!

post #7 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 12:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome to JKO.....The on-road ride of our unlimited with hardtop is much the same as you would expect from any...ummm SUV except for very little wind and tire noise. And it's still 100% Jeep so I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep School View Post
LMAO!!

Welcome to JKO--the forum for grown-ups! I love the ride of the 4-door, but both of my kids were born (almost literally) in TJ's, so 4-door JK feels like a Cadillac by comparison. <snipped awesome good info>
Listen to Nena, she knows Jeeps

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome to JKO. There is no finer family vehicle out there. The JK will bring more joy to your family and your family to more joy than you can imagine.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Welcome, just do it, you won't regret it. Do it, Do it.

JKUS Sort of
post #10 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Rock God

Welcome, I think you would be happy with a JKU purchase. I've two little ones and they really enjoy it. The back seat is a little upright, so the car seats sit a little vertical, but I just read someone on the forum change the angle of the rear to make it tilt back a little bit. They could've make a little more room back there, but its not that much different than other cars we've owned w/ the carseats.
We get 18-20 with out manual x w 3.73 gears, and I've put some step like rock rails on for both the protection and for help with the kids getting in and out.
The hard top is suprisingly quiet, and the freedom top is nice when the you want the top off and the kids dont.

You won't be disapointed!

~ Clam
post #11 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Rock God

The JKU is awesome.
I've got 2 grandkids and a dog that sits in the back.
All 3 fight over who gets the window.
The dog usually wins.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #12 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Granite Guru

Welcome! My kids love it( 4yoa and 18 months )mileage so/so but I bought it for fun not gas mileage!

2015 Unlimited "Willys Wheeler", AEV 3.5, 35 Nitto Exo Grapplers
2010 Unlimited "Sahara", 2.5 Rock Krawler Stock Mod on 35" Nittos SOLD
post #13 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Rock God

The JKU is a great family vehicle although my 5'1 wife has trouble loading the kids at times. When it was stock, she didn't have much trouble though.

Welcome to the 4m!
post #14 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice from those of you who use the JKU with families. My dogs loved the TJ and hate our audis. I really want to like the JK. Mileage isn't my main concern but I am trying to be responsible (wish there were a diesel option). That being said.... I think I'm going to put a slight lift and 35's on her and call it a day. I just drove a 2007 JKU Sahara 6 spd and it was pretty cool, cept for the gearbox. It was worse than the 5 spd in my TJ! Is that normal? It whined a ton, vibrated like nobody's business and it felt like some plasticky bushing were loose. Everytime I shifted I heard and felt clackety clacking of plastic from around the area where the rubber shift boot is. Is this normal or was this JKU chewed up? It was stock with freedom top, 42k on the odometer. Asking 20,999. All else seemed cherry. Sorry for the novel, but I'm excited and disappointed at the same time. I WANTED to love it.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Rock God

I can't answer the gearbox issue since I'm no longer stock and never had the 6 speed. However, I can tell you that if you do much highway speed driving you'll appreciate a gear change if you're going to run 35's.

Either that or swap it out for a hemi!
post #16 of 18 Old 01-13-2010, 05:09 AM
JKO Addict!

I've got an Unlimited and a 6 month old. The pair work great together! Good luck.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Rock God

Here are a couple more things that might be helpful since I just noticed you said "infant" in your original post. First, the soft top/hard top issue. IMHO, the soft top is much quieter than the older ones. Sure the hardtop is quieter still but the soft top seems quieter than the TJ's. Secondly, car seats are doable. We have one forward facing car seat for our 2 y/o and one rear facing car seat for our 6 month old. I have the rear facing seat on the passenger side and b/c of this the seat cannot go fully to the back. It's close but it's a few ticks forward. I have my driver seat all the way rearward and my 2 y/o still has room. He occasionally kicks my seat so once the other guy moves to a forward facing seat I'll switch the older boy to the passenger side. If you have any questions about the car seats fitting just PM me and I can call you or shoot you an email or even provide some pics of how they fit. Good luck.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the great replies. Great forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode