Another new VA boy - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Another new VA boy

Picked up my '10 Unlimited Rubicon last week - been wanting a Jeep for a while. Bunch of my friends have (Grand) Cherokees, but really like the 4 door Wranglers. Best of both worlds with the removable hard top. I'm just northwest of Richmond in Rockville, but hang out all over the Richmond area.

Looking at bumpers and winches now, will see what other mods I'll get into. Will probably only go trail riding a few times a year, and maybe a little off-roading here and there when going predator hunting, but will mainly be an asphalt warrior, so won't get too crazy with off-road mods. Will be my daily driver as well for a while, crazy mods go on my blown Vette - link in the signature below.

-Steve

2010 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited - Red Rock Crystal Pearl. BFG KM2 35's, Procomp 7189s, FinishLineWest Stonehenge series rock sliders, pre-runner front and Gen 4.0 rear bumpers, Volant intake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Kenne Bell 2.6L blower @ 7psi, stock bottom end, stock 78mm TB, Kooks 1 3/4" long tubes w/ X-pipe. 426 rwhp/458 tq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Rock God

Garage

hey welcome to JKO... im located up in the Fredericksburg area.

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

upcoming: Front D60, 40's, beadlocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks, looks like there are a few of us around. Saw a couple guys from HR so far on a few threads.

2010 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited - Red Rock Crystal Pearl. BFG KM2 35's, Procomp 7189s, FinishLineWest Stonehenge series rock sliders, pre-runner front and Gen 4.0 rear bumpers, Volant intake.

- Kenne Bell 2.6L blower @ 7psi, stock bottom end, stock 78mm TB, Kooks 1 3/4" long tubes w/ X-pipe. 426 rwhp/458 tq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

welcome man you'll love your jeep.

as far as winches go I'd suggest this:
http://www.bulldogwinch.com/9500detail.html

Great price for a great winch, but if price doesn't matter much take a look at the Warn Powerplant or the warn off-road winches, they're faster then the Bulldogs

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/powerplant_hp.shtml

I understand the Jeep thing
post #5 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Glad to be aboard, and I already love it! Can't wait to start modding it - it's a vicious cycle, but that's part of what I love about vehicles (and guns and computers). Already though about putting a blower on it, but thankfully I haven't found a kit yet. Kenne Bell used to make one for the 4.0 liter jeeps, but nothing for the 3.8s that I can find.

Thanks for the suggestion on the winch.. was reading last night about the different options - SmittyBuilt, Mile Marker, Ramsey, Superwinch and of course Warn. Hadn't come across the Bulldog line yet. Seems that winches have many of the arguments in other hobbies I've got.. guns, computers, other car parts - headers, lifts, brakes, etc.. Regardless of the brand, you're going to get people who got lemons and people who haven't ever had a problem out of a $100 winch (or name any other product here). The Bulldogs look priced similar to the Smittys, maybe a little more compact. Was leaning towards the Smitty XRC10 or the SuperWinch EP9.0 based on what I've read so far. Sure I can pay $1000+ for the Warn, but as much as I'd use it, I doubt that I'm going to kill one of the "lesser" winches. And the $400 I save will buy most, if not all, of the bumper (which I haven't decided on yet either, but I'm not spending 1k for a front bumper - can tell you that right now).

Like your sig says - it's about how you get there, not what toys you use to get to point A or B ;-)

post #6 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Granite Guru

Welcome to JKO. I'm located on the South Side of Richmond/Midlothian area.

08 Rubicon 2DR Red Rock

post #7 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks - I'm sure I'll see you around town. Nice avatar ;-)

post #8 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 02:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome to JKO.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

welcome from way down south, below Martinsville. happy trails.

'07 Rubicon- BFG 35s MUD/TERRAIN KM2-Mickey Thompson Classic II -K&N Intake- Warn Elite front bumper - Warn ZEON 8s winch, American Rebel HD diff. cover
post #10 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaxman View Post
Sure I can pay $1000+ for the Warn, but as much as I'd use it, I doubt that I'm going to kill one of the "lesser" winches. And the $400 I save will buy most, if not all, of the bumper (which I haven't decided on yet either, but I'm not spending 1k for a front bumper - can tell you that right now).
Just to not be a total n00b - looks like I can get a Warn 8000 for about the same price as the Superwinch 9000 or smitty 10k winches, but a 9k Warn is still over $1k.

8000 link

Did some searching and it's not obvious - looks like these all have different gear ratios.. seems to me that the gear ratio is what is making them pull faster/slower, although none of them seem to indicate the RPM of the motor, just the HP of the motor itself. The Superwinch is 156:1 whereas the Smitty and the Warn are nearly identical 218:1 and 216:1 respectively; the Bulldog is 265:1. All seem to be using 2.5" drums. Anyone know any differently?

post #11 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODICON View Post
Welcome to JKO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock Rubi View Post
welcome from way down south, below Martinsville. happy trails.
Thanks, glad to be here!

post #12 of 17 Old 01-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Rock God

welcome to jko

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

post #13 of 17 Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks Guys

post #14 of 17 Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome from Georgia.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Granite Guru

welcome, I live between Montpelier and Ashland on route 54, but I go to school out in Roanoke. See you around.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-31-2010, 08:00 AM

Welcome! I am located down in the Hampton Roads area!

2007 Red 2 Door JK X 6 Speed- stock at the moment, but not for long!

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” - Mahatma Gandhi
post #17 of 17 Old 01-31-2010, 07:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome to JKO.

2014 Rubicon on the build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode